Some Number Games

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Recently showed off it's Q2 results with 440K XOOMs sold. I'm curious, how do you guys think that compares to Transformer/Iconia* sales? Both of those were in it for most of Q2. If I had to guess, it probably sold between 1/3 and 1/4 of all Honeycomb tablet sales thanks to it's price, putting us somewhere around 1.8-2Mil total. If you compare that to iPad 2 sales numbers from about the same time, I'd say we aren't doing too bad at all

Of course, how many of each are getting into consumers hands and staying there? No idea. But if the first gen tablets are making between half and a quarter of the sales, I'd way android tablets have a good future with honeycomb.

Then there is the whole thing where the Tab 10.1 wasn't released till the end of june, and the Transformer suffered from supply and demand issues. Q3/Q4 results should be interesting.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
just use it man, who cares what is sold and who is leading - don`t waste your time.

I care. As an app developer, if one product is selling 10 million and another is selling 500K, guess what I'll make an app for? If one is selling 7 million and the other is selling 3 million? Things start to look different. Guess what, I'm not the only person who develops apps and thinks so. As a user, you should care whether devs care.

Here's another example. To save android fanboys egos, let's leave the iPad out of this. If you're an android app developer, and you see there are 1million honeycomb tablets, the idea of adding honeycomb support to your app isn't necessarily worth the work. Double or triple that, and more and more android apps will support honeycomb.

So yeah, it's a pretty big deal, sorry if you're short sighted enough to think it's a waste of time.

Last edited: