Sometimes I feel so stupid.... manybooks.net + calibre

Gerry_D

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I feel so stupid....

<hr>
OK, there's this site; manybooks.net and On my Nexus 7 I have the kindle app, because I had a kindle for a few months and it sort got killed in a hinge of a suitcase and when Amazon wouldn't fix it or give me a break on a color kindle but even though I have a gift card with about $90 left on it for books, I still went with Google's offering.

Well I went to manybooks.net and attempted to download a bunch of science fiction books via my computer.
I selected to download them with a kindle format to a specified folder on my computer.
I can see them with the e-reader in Calibre.
I try to transfer them to my Nexus and they get LOST!
Maybe my problem is with Calibre?
Where did they go?

Help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

<hr>

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a whole lot of experience with Kindle, but I've noticed that just copying files to the device doesn't seem to work. What I had to do was to upload them to my Kindle account on Amazon and then download them from there. And be patient with it, it sometimes takes a while for the titles to transfer to the device so you can select them for download. You can also send them to the device from the web site, but that sometimes takes several hours as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Gerry_D

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you missed it or I wasn't clear about the transfer. I tried to use Calibre. But now that doesn't even work. I went to the help site for Calibre and in reading I found them saying that WiFi transfer was necessary. That didn't work. I went back to manybooks.net and they sent me to a mobile site. That didn't work either.

There just has to be an easier way.......

Patg2003

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, you need to download Calibre Library from the App Store, make sure you read the blurb so that you understand what it does.
Second, convert the books you want to EPUB in Calibre (PC). This assumes that you have a reader downloaded from App Store that reads the major formats? I use Cool Reader but plenty of other choices available.
Thirdly, In Calibre (PC) start Connect, assume you know how to do this from your first post?
Lastly, open Calibre Library and follow the instructions. This will allow you to download the books directly to your N7.
This is just a brief overview of the procedure, I am sure you can work it all out!
Enjoy

cyberchef

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
You may be overcomplicating things with Calibre.
I downloaded Metrophage by Richard Kadrey from manybooks.net, in Kindle format, to my macbook. I connected my Nexus 7 to the macbook with the cable and manually put the book file in /sdcard/kindle/. After disconnecting the n7 from the laptop, I started up the kindle app on the n7 and the book was there. Same routine with Deathworld by Harry Harrison. No problem.
Hope it works for you.

Quelch

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have many eBooks in the mobi format on my Nexus 7
Despite using 'Kindle for PC' on my computers I found it didn't want to work on my Nexus 7
So I use 'Aldiko' eReader app for mobi files, no need to convert, Aldiko works well with epub and mobi
Aldiko is free from Google Play
Open Calibre on your computer then connect your Nexus 7, simply highlight the eBook and click on 'Send to device'
Remember to click on the down arrow of 'Device' and 'Eject this device' before removing your Nexus 7

The Nexus 7 sticks the eBooks in a folder called 'books' or 'eBooks'
I use an app called 'ES File Explorer' to find files on the Nexus 7, when I've found the eBook I want clicking on it brings up a choice of my eReader apps including Aldiko
Clicking on Aldiko opens the eBook and also puts the eBook on the Aldiko bookshelf, I put about a dozen eBooks on the bookshelf so I can easily select what I feel like reading

Your 'Lost' files are there somewhere, your Nexus 7 would have created a folder to put them in, use 'ES File Explorer' to search for a file folder such as 'Kindle' or 'books' or 'eBooks'

Hope this is of some help to you, feel free to ask questions

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell