soo....are they gonna fix the GPS problem or not..

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
So the update that came out after the one that broke gps didn't fix it?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

That's what I said, "no". They didn't consider that broken, it was intentional. Now there may be another problem that the good folks at Cyanogenmod (who are working on ICS Android) have discovered about the sensors in the phone that can cause Google Nav to lock up, but this is not the GPS, this is due to the phone's sensors. Apparently this is something Samsung never discovered. Unfortunately they won't be able to fix it now because the phone has been EOL'd. So if I were you, I'd apply the GPS Fix and if you still have problems, you could go with flashing the CM9 ROM. I'm liking the looks of that ROM but am hesitant to install it due to a camera bug it has.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I rooted in the first place was to apply the GPS fix. I have had to re-apply it a few times, but it is just a zip on my sd card. i boot into recovery and apply the patch and then it kicks arse again. I lock like 10/10 satellites sometimes. I had 4 feet accuracy before.
Are you saying that reapplying the zip fixes GPS?

What is the problem you have the leads you to reapplying it? Just slow to lock in to satellites or because it makes your phone lock up?
First I'll answer the title of the post. No. They (Samsung) is never going to fix GPS on this phone. Samsung doesn't consider it broken. THEY wrote the code to change it from a 12 satellite lock to only 4. They think or thought they were improving battery performance by reducing locks. In Eclair it was fine. The good news is you can fix the GPS. You have to install the GPS_Fix. In other words, you have 3 choices: live with the problem, root and fix yourself; or get a different phone.

I'd suggest rooting. It is easy if you watch qbking's videos and follow the instructions to the letter on this forum. I'm not a developer, but I decided long ago to try rooting and I studied how tos before doing so I'd minimize my chances of mucking it up. I rooted 2 phones, mine and my wife's and have never ever regretted doing so.
AFAIK the phone is not EOL yet. In fact Sprint still sells it and has it listed on their website.

Unfortunately for me, the GPS fix hasn't been such a life saver. And this is on two different phones that I've had. All with major lock up problems whenever using GPS since Gingerbread.
That's what I said, "no". They didn't consider that broken, it was intentional. Now there may be another problem that the good folks at Cyanogenmod (who are working on ICS Android) have discovered about the sensors in the phone that can cause Google Nav to lock up, but this is not the GPS, this is due to the phone's sensors. Apparently this is something Samsung never discovered. Unfortunately they won't be able to fix it now because the phone has been EOL'd. So if I were you, I'd apply the GPS Fix and if you still have problems, you could go with flashing the CM9 ROM. I'm liking the looks of that ROM but am hesitant to install it due to a camera bug it has.
I don't follow CM development but I doubt the problem is the sensors because there was a time that the phone's GPS worked flawlessly. It's the updates that have mucked things up.

So, I take it from your post that CM9 does not fix the locking up, since they are blaming the problem on the actual sensors?

What is the camera bug?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that reapplying the zip fixes GPS?

What is the problem you have the leads you to reapplying it? Just slow to lock in to satellites or because it makes your phone lock up?

AFAIK the phone is not EOL yet. In fact Sprint still sells it and has it listed on their website.

Unfortunately for me, the GPS fix hasn't been such a life saver. And this is on two different phones that I've had. All with major lock up problems whenever using GPS since Gingerbread.

I don't follow CM development but I doubt the problem is the sensors because there was a time that the phone's GPS worked flawlessly. It's the updates that have mucked things up.

So, I take it from your post that CM9 does not fix the locking up, since they are blaming the problem on the actual sensors?

What is the camera bug?

I haven't flashed CM 9 yet, was waiting until these bugs (things not working) were fixed: Flash for video recording
Camera auto flash
Camera touch screen Focus
Slideshows
video MMS
WiFi sleep policy
Bluetooth
A new "Stable" release came out Friday, but am waiting to here what bugs, if any are left.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't flashed CM 9 yet, was waiting until these bugs (things not working) were fixed: Flash for video recording
Camera auto flash
Camera touch screen Focus
Slideshows
video MMS
WiFi sleep policy
Bluetooth
A new "Stable" release came out Friday, but am waiting to here what bugs, if any are left.
Wow, considering how many people rave about CM9 it has more problems than I would have expected.

I don't know what exactly the WiFi and BT bugs entail but they sound like major issues and potential battery killers.

Back to the subject, I ran the zip to uninstall the GPS fix, rebooted and then ran the zip to install the GPS fix. That seems to have helped make GPS more stable but it's still far from perfect.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow, considering how many people rave about CM9 it has more problems than I would have expected.

I don't know what exactly the WiFi and BT bugs entail but they sound like major issues and potential battery killers.

Back to the subject, I ran the zip to uninstall the GPS fix, rebooted and then ran the zip to install the GPS fix. That seems to have helped make GPS more stable but it's still far from perfect.

By "Bug" I mean they don't work. Bluetooth will not connect or Play with screen off. Wifi always on during sleep. Camera touch screen focus doesn't work, Flash with camcorder doesn't work. Too many major problems for me.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
By "Bug" I mean they don't work. Bluetooth will not connect or Play with screen off. Wifi always on during sleep. Camera touch screen focus doesn't work, Flash with camcorder doesn't work. Too many major problems for me.

Consider how far Epic users have come since not having ICS at all. CM9 source is stable, so these are obviously bugs that are device specific. If I'm not mistaken nightlies are still being built for the Epic. The Epic's build may not be ready to be marked stable, but the bugs are relatively minor in comparison to previously addressed bugs. Give it time. I'm sure stable CM9 for our device will be re-released for the Epic like they did with CM7 when they were finally able to fix it's last bug keeping it from true stable status, the stuttering HD video recording. This team has shown much dedication to their projects, and I'm sure they will continue to push forward till CM9 is done as well, to the best of their ability.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: rando991

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You know, now that you mentioned it, how is CM7? I went straight from stock to CleanGB which has left me less than satisfied. Primarily due to horrible GPS performance but I don't know if the GPS works well on any ROM.

How solid and stable is CM7? Based on my choice of CleanGB I obviously don't care about bells and whistles and tweaks. I just want my phone & GPS to work. Just freaking work and don't lock up. I know this is a lot to ask from a phone but I believe in miracles.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Consider how far Epic users have come since not having ICS at all. CM9 source is stable, so these are obviously bugs that are device specific. If I'm not mistaken nightlies are still being built for the Epic. The Epic's build may not be ready to be marked stable, but the bugs are relatively minor in comparison to previously addressed bugs. Give it time. I'm sure stable CM9 for our device will be re-released for the Epic like they did with CM7 when they were finally able to fix it's last bug keeping it from true stable status, the stuttering HD video recording. This team has shown much dedication to their projects, and I'm sure they will continue to push forward till CM9 is done as well, to the best of their ability.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

I certainly hope so, I want to flash CM9, but after my experience with EC05, I'm willing to wait for the fixes.

AmHack#AC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little confused by the list of items that don't work in CM9.

I installed a "Release Candidate" (cm9.0.0-RC2-epicmtd.zip) at the end of July and I wasn't aware of any of the items on the list. I went through and checked them all and the only items I found were the flash not working with the video recording, and when I tried to send a 2 second video by text, I got a message saying the video was too big.

To be fair, I don't know what "slideshow" means and I'm not sure how to test my wifi sleep policy. The Bluetooth works fine, the camera works fine and GPS works fine...I use them all the time.

I would definately recomend installing CM9...at least the version of the ROM I installed. My wife has the same phone, and she's having me install it this weekend. She's tired of the random reboots & freeze ups.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused by the list of items that don't work in CM9.

I installed a "Release Candidate" (cm9.0.0-RC2-epicmtd.zip) at the end of July and I wasn't aware of any of the items on the list. I went through and checked them all and the only items I found were the flash not working with the video recording, and when I tried to send a 2 second video by text, I got a message saying the video was too big.

To be fair, I don't know what "slideshow" means and I'm not sure how to test my wifi sleep policy. The Bluetooth works fine, the camera works fine and GPS works fine...I use them all the time.

I would definately recomend installing CM9...at least the version of the ROM I installed. My wife has the same phone, and she's having me install it this weekend. She's tired of the random reboots & freeze ups.

When you say the camera works fine, do mean you can get the on screen focus to work (the square turns green?) If it only stays red, then it hasn't ben fixed. The focus only works with the phone HW button

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

AmHack#AC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
It starts out white, and then turns red when it's focused itself. I've watched it adjust the focus, and then turn red when it's locked onto what you have centered in the picture or where you touch on the screen.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It starts out white, and then turns red when it's focused itself. I've watched it adjust the focus, and then turn red when it's locked onto what you have centered in the picture or where you touch on the screen.

Hmmm, Red square means it failed to focus (it's supposed to turn green like it currently does). It may be locking in but are you sure it's actually focusing? Are your pictures that you've taken in focus? Now that being said, the camera button on the side of the phone pressed half way in still works to focus I'm told...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire