soo....are they gonna fix the GPS problem or not..

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it was pure luck or if this might be a fix for the GPS problem. Today I tried navigating with both Wifi and 4G turned off. Much to my amazement the phone didn't lock up even after doing several things that seem to cause lock ups, like searching for alternate routes.

I'm going to keep trying this to see if it truly solves the problem of the phone locking up when navigating. Give it a try guys and let us know if it works for you. I'm hoping this is a real fix and I didn't just get lucky. We'll see...

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Let us know, but I doubt that 4G and Wifi are related to your GPS problem unless it is a phone memory low issue. It is not a good practice to leave those on when you are outside of 4G or Wifi coverage as they will eat battery searching for those signals. It could be that the searching, along with other things running in the background, that you are experiencing low overhead RAM and your phone is just locking up because of memory, not the GPS. Try a task killer like Gemini App manager or something like ATK. Maybe you just need to free up some memory. Oh and btw, I assume you have moved all your apps to the SD card, right? Too many apps in phone memory leaves you with just about nothing.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh and btw, I assume you have moved all your apps to the SD card, right? Too many apps in phone memory leaves you with just about nothing.

Less of a problem with MTD. Have nothing on SD card and still 400MB of free space on my phone. LOVING my Epic these days :)

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Let us know, but I doubt that 4G and Wifi are related to your GPS problem unless it is a phone memory low issue. It is not a good practice to leave those on when you are outside of 4G or Wifi coverage as they will eat battery searching for those signals. It could be that the searching, along with other things running in the background, that you are experiencing low overhead RAM and your phone is just locking up because of memory, not the GPS. Try a task killer like Gemini App manager or something like ATK. Maybe you just need to free up some memory. Oh and btw, I assume you have moved all your apps to the SD card, right? Too many apps in phone memory leaves you with just about nothing.

Wifi might affect GPS. I know that the phone can use wifi to identify your location. No idea if it does this in conjunction with GPS navigation. If it does, I can see how some OS issues causes the phone to lock up if it's using both. Maybe preventing it from using wifi while navigation helps? I'll keep trying and see. If I make it a whole day without a GPS induced phone lock I'll be confident this is a reliable fix.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't usually leave 4G or WiFi on and I've been having the GPS lockup issue. But if it works for you that'd be awesome; the less people with this issue the better! Samsung needs to get their butts in gear! :mad:

TechnoGeezer

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I can give some support for the 4G part of this prob. I've been testing various scenarios and yesterday I was running with 4G off (car Home Ultra as car dock with Google Nav running in maps mode). I decided to turn on 4G (in a known 4G service area) and the phone locked up immediately, req'ing battery pull to reset. Per prev posts here, this could be due to memory or app interactions. Car Home automatically shuts off WiFi and activates BT, but 4G status remains unchanged so it stays however it was set before docking. I'm going to try to free up more memory to see if that is the issue. I'm usually down to ~75MB on the phone with all possible apps on SD.. (I know, I know, dangerously low!)

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
For me, it seems like 4G & Wifi off is the answer to my prayers.

I just spent the last 40 minutes trying in vain to make navigation lock up. I simultaneously streamed music. I constantly forced rerouting. I changed destinations. I panned across the map. Nothing would lock the phone up. Previously I'd be lucky to make it even ten minutes while doing everything I could think of to keep it from locking up.

This is still no guarantee lock-ups won't resume but this is the most uninterrupted navigation session I've had since I got Gingerbread.

As for memory, I only have 55MB free, so low memory isn't a factor for me.

Reactions: TechnoGeezer

MojaveMike45

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S (rooted), nothing worked including hardware fixes (antenna contact,external antenna, etc), tweaked the SUPL/CP settings, 1 or 2 birds max, G Nav never locked ................ until GPSFix .... now 5 or 6 hot birds indoors, 10 to 12 outside ...... G Nav working

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S (rooted), nothing worked including hardware fixes (antenna contact,external antenna, etc), tweaked the SUPL/CP settings, 1 or 2 birds max, G Nav never locked ................ until GPSFix .... now 5 or 6 hot birds indoors, 10 to 12 outside ...... G Nav working

You realize that you're posting in a Samsung Epic 4G forum, right? The GPS fix makes the lock up problem worse for most people with this phone.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S is the Epic 4g. The Samsung Galaxy SII is the Epic 4g Touch....

"Samsung Galaxy S" is the base model. There are several vairants: Epic 4G, Vibrant, Captivate, Fascinate, Mesmerize.

If one is specifically referring to their Samsung Galaxy S, and not one of the variants, then you have to assume they have the base model which is not the subject of this forum.

From Wikipedia:
The Samsung Galaxy S is an Android smartphone that was announced by Samsung in March 2010... The base version of the phone, the GT-I9000, was quickly followed by variant models for the US carriers such as the Epic 4G, Vibrant, Captivate, Fascinate, and Mesmerize.

TechnoGeezer

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Tried no 4G (or WiFi) today and phone locked up in a different location than before but where there is very poor or nonexistant 3G data or phone service. Google Nav map froze at that position. Battery pull req'd to reset. So turning off 4G may help but it will probably depend on your 3G/phone coverage. Frustrating because I can't seem to get a combination that works reliably.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Tried no 4G (or WiFi) today and phone locked up in a different location than before but where there is very poor or nonexistant 3G data or phone service. Google Nav map froze at that position. Battery pull req'd to reset. So turning off 4G may help but it will probably depend on your 3G/phone coverage. Frustrating because I can't seem to get a combination that works reliably.

Sorry to hear that. In the time that I've been navigating with 4G & Wifi turned off I've only had to pull the battery once. There were two other times where navigation locked up but I was able to exit without a battery pull. Once, maybe both of those times, the phone rebooted itself but it didn't require a battery pull. Still, this is gargantuan improvement for me because before I could only navigate for a few minutes before I needed a battery pull.

Here's another thought which probably won't help but I'll throw it out there. For a few days before trying with Wifi & 4G turned off I tried driving with navigation in the background, just to see if my phone would lock up. It never did. So you can set a destination, start navigating, then go to another app and leave the nav running. While running in the background the nav should keep track of where you are and won't lock up, so you can check in periodically to see where to go next.

I mention this for two reasons. One is that this might be a "better than nothing" plan B for people like me who experience frequent lock ups. The other reason I mention it is the outside (VERY OUTSIDE) chance that driving with nav in the background as much as I did may have triggered something resulting in fewer navigation lock ups.

peterallen

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I am really surprised that there has been no word from Sprint or Samsung about a fix to the GPS issue. My wife and I both have an Epic 4g and were in LA for two weeks and could not use our phones for navigation.

Went to a Sprint store and they had no solution to fix the Epic 4g GPS issue other then to give us another one, already did that with no luck.

I then asked if there was another phone they could give me that would work. I do not qualify for an upgrade so they said the best they could do is switch my Epic 4g for a Nexus S.

There are other issues that we are having with our Epic 4g since being upgraded to GB that has pushed us to change to the Nexus S. We should be getting our phones in a couple of days.

Have any of you thought about doing this or have done this?

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the majority of us would have moved on to another phone by now if there was a comparable QWERTY phone. The thing that keeps me holding on is that darn physical keyboard I can't live without.

peterallen

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, we will miss the keyboard, but we would rather have a phone that works. We have had other issues since GB, like phone locking up and requiring a battery pull, and random reboots several times a week. And yes we both have had the phones replaced since GB with no changes.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've never had gps issues, even on stock. My Epic has always run flawlessly.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

TechnoGeezer

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Been busy so just had a chance to check in. GPS w/o 4G or WiFi tried again on Fri. Still locked up but in a different place. Oddly, but perhaps significantly, the lockups are always in the am on my way to work, never in the pm on the way home. I looked into Cyanogeod 7 (CM7) w/4G on xda forums. There are still some bugs & features that don't work but GPS is said to be working. Prob is you have to root & convert to new file system (MTD) & going back to stock req's Odin etc. Sound redirect thru USB is one feature not available. Still, I might do it.