Speck Candyshell Grip Issues:

mmaged2287

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
While the Speck Candyshell Grip Case has an amazing grip and feels pretty protective, I find it difficult to remove from the 6p and even more so for placing the phone in the case. I feel like I could scratch or damage the 6p by putting it on. I also have an ICarez tempered glass screen protector on the 6p. Since dust continues to accumulate on the visor, I would like to remove the case every other week or so and clean the back. However, fearing the case could damage the phone, I have been a little hesitant. Does anyone have any issues with this case?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've used these cases for a while on my devices, currently have it on my Nexus 6p and iP6s+. I really like the protection and grip that they offer. You're right that they can be tough to put on and take off. What works best for me when removing the case is to grasp the phone screen facing me in vertical orientation, place thumbs on either side of top right corner (this is the most flexible area of the case), fingers on the back of the phone, apply pressure with thumbs and fingers in a rolling motion towards the back with the thumbs and inward with the fingers to roll the case off the corner of the phone. Do the same to the top left corner. Once the top corners are out you can pull the case off pretty easily. I've always found that putting the case on by inserting the button side first along the length of the phone and then pushing in the opposite side works best for me. I've never experienced any damage to my phones from installing or removing these cases. Just be sure the phone and case are clean. Only the case tpu contacts the phone and shouldn't cause any damage.

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
That was my one grip with the case. The potential to potentially damage the phone since and that was why i opted for the Spigen Armor case instead of the CandyShell

Posted via the Android Central App on my Frost Nexus 6P

mmaged2287

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the info. I will try to remove the phone. It's too bad its so difficult to remove this thing. I was thinking about the Seidio surface, but that wasn't available when I purchased the phone and I couldn't resist the Speck Black Friday deal from the Google Store.

mmaged2287

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, its too difficult to remove, but I am worried about dust getting into the phone and drops. The Speck apparently has drop protection comparable to otterbox. My last couple of cases have caused dust accumulation and didn't have great drop protection. It's too bad otterbox doesn't sell cases for 6p. The otterbox symmetry is my favorite case for any phone.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It's not that hard to remove the case once you get used to it. What I do is I start at the top right corner, applying pressure with both thumbs until the case is off. Then I do the same with the left corner. Once the case is off the corners, you slide your finger in to the gap and pop the phone out. To put the case back on, I start from the bottom corners to slip the phone in and work my way around, snapping it in.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I start at the bottom corners, and have removed and replaced mine several times with absolutely no damage to the 6P.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, its too difficult to remove, but I am worried about dust getting into the phone and drops. The Speck apparently has drop protection comparable to otterbox. My last couple of cases have caused dust accumulation and didn't have great drop protection. It's too bad otterbox doesn't sell cases for 6p. The otterbox symmetry is my favorite case for any phone.

If you're looking for OtterBox type protection, there's the Poetic Revolution case. I have it, along with both colors of the CSG.

mmaged2287

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, guys. Do you know if theres a youtube video on how to remove it? While I feel more comfortable removing it, I still feel like its a struggle when I attempt to place the phone back in the case. The last time I tried, I attempted to attach the case back on by first sliding it into the side with the volume and power buttons, but it got stuck and would not slide into that side of the case. I fear the phone will eventually get damaged, if I continue to remove it and place it back in the case.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I start by sliding the top in first, far as it'll go. Then just push the bottom corners in; the case will give.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info, guys. Do you know if theres a youtube video on how to remove it? While I feel more comfortable removing it, I still feel like its a struggle when I attempt to place the phone back in the case. The last time I tried, I attempted to attach the case back on by first sliding it into the side with the volume and power buttons, but it got stuck and would not slide into that side of the case. I fear the phone will eventually get damaged, if I continue to remove it and place it back in the case.

Here you go. This reviewer does mostly iPhone accessories but the same principles apply.
http://youtu.be/SzqDW87h7e4

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same case, and it's wonderful. It's hard to get off until you get some practice by doing it a few times.

To get it on, I put the entire side with the power and volume buttons in first, then it's easy to push the rest of it in. After that, there are always tiny little areas where you need to get the rubber to snap over the screen. (And if you don't really look, you won't even notice. And no, it doesn't really matter.)

To get it off, I do it in the reverse. First, turn the phone off. Then, I bend the upper left corner back and carefully push on the camera lens. Once the corner is more or less free, you can keep bending along the left side, as long as you're careful not to let that corner pop back in, like it will want to.

What you don't want to do, if you've left the phone on or accidentally turned it on, is remove the right side first (the side with the buttons). If you do, it's very easy to accidentally have the case pushing and holding the power button down long enough to force a hard shutdown.

mmaged2287

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Crosspatch. Unfortunately, I'm a visual person. Does anyone know of any youtube videos focusing on the installation of the case, not just removal. I feel like I finally feel comfortable with removing the case, but placing it in the case is another story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484