Spigen Ultra Hybrid Case - Matte Black or Jet Black?

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I need your opinions!

Planning to get the S8 in black, and I've been using this style of case for my S6 for the last 2 years.

https://www.spigen.com/collections/...laxy-s8-case-ultra-hybrid?variant=30615878657

I want to keep everything black, but I prefer the style with the clear backing. Also, I won't ever buy one with a clear TPU bumper again, because it looks yellow within a month or two, so I've narrowed it down to 2 options:

Jet black or matte black?

Being that the phone looks glossy and sleek, I'm kinda leaning towards the jet black. However how does glossy TPU hold up over time? Does it fade? Show more scratches? Peel?

Please let me know your experience with glossy TPU, because I think I found a winner!

(side note: if you plan to use the GearVR, you'll want a case that's easy to take off and put on. These cases with the TPU bumper are great, and I recommend these 1-piece cases over the cases that have multiple pieces that interlock, etc.

Attachments

• 25249.jpg
    25249.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 283

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Odd note: Interesting that Spigen made these renders before getting official details, hence the white front bezels, haha.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Spigen has updated the render on their website to show a black front (bezels). The jet black is probably going to win my money! It's too bad that the render of the back isn't also black.

abs3.jpg

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've used the Ultra Hybrid on and off on my S6 as well. I was planning an Ultra Hybrid for my S8, but intrigued by this Ringke design posted in the SlickDeals post. The Smoke Black design might look good on the Midnight Black S8:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXNZV1B?sdsrc=staff&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5736325

Nice, looks really similar to the Spigen Ultra Hybrid.

Word of warning, TPU will start to turn yellow within only a few months, especially lighter colours. I had the Ultra Hybrid for my S6 in the tinted (same as smoke) shade and it started to show the yellowing within about 2-3 months. I eventually ordered the navy one (called gun metal or something similar) and it still looks good. Hence why I will go with something really dark (jet black), doesn't show change of colour.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had Spigen Ultra Hybrids for my S5 and S7. Rock star cases while offering a minimal look! But...I don't see this protecting the rounded screen. In fact how do you take advantage of the infinity edges with a case that protects the edges? I must be missing something.
Monica

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I've had Spigen Ultra Hybrids for my S5 and S7. Rock star cases while offering a minimal look! But...I don't see this protecting the rounded screen. In fact how do you take advantage of the infinity edges with a case that protects the edges? I must be missing something.
Monica
The borders of the case are raised so the screen or edges will never touch, if the surface is flat. I was concerned before I bought the S7e but it turned out to be a non-issue.

blueyce28

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Got the matte black and loving the case. It almost doesn't feel like it's taking away from the phone itself as it's still slim and skinny.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 77

ericf4

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I got jet black for my black s8. Looks amazing almost as if the screen blends in w case as all one piece

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I got the matte black. It's beautiful. Feels and looks like no case on at all. My only concern is that it doesn't seem very protective.

ericf4

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'll try tomorrow from another phone. Looks almost like no case on it at all as the screen is glossy as is the case sides

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The matte black looks great in the pictures!

It is, I have one in addition to the clear case. I like the look of the matte black one best (looks and feels like no case on), but it's slipperier and cannot use a screen protector with it. So I don't feel comfortable using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry