Sprint Galaxy S3 connected to 4G *Wimax* today? (Norristown, PA)

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
My Sprint Galaxy S3 connected to 4G Wimax today? (Norristown, PA)

Happened to be in Norristown, PA today at noon, and for the first time ever since buying the phone last December, noticed a 4G icon. According to Sprint?s coverage map, this area DOES NOT have 4G LTE, but apparently DOES have 4G WIMAX (though when you select Sprint Galaxy S3 the yellow 4G coverage goes away on the Sprint map, I have read in another thread on this site as well as another of people connecting to what they believe to be 4G Wimax)

Curious, I fired up Speedtest app, and got around 10 mbps down and maybe 6-7 up. So needless to say, I was indeed connected somehow to a high speed connection. It wasn't wifi and certainly wasn't 3G-the 4G icon was there.

Am I correct in assuming then, that this phone connected to 4G wimax? Is there a different icon for 4G WIMAX and 4G LTE?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Happened to be in Norristown, PA today at noon, and for the first time ever since buying the phone last December, noticed a 4G icon. According to Sprint?s coverage map, this area DOES NOT have 4G LTE, but apparently DOES have 4G WIMAX (though when you select Sprint Galaxy S3 the yellow 4G coverage goes away on the Sprint map, I have read in another thread on this site as well as another of people connecting to what they believe to be 4G Wimax)

Curious, I fired up Speedtest app, and got around 10 mbps down and maybe 6-7 up. So needless to say, I was indeed connected somehow to a high speed connection. It wasn't wifi and certainly wasn't 3G-the 4G icon was there.

Am I correct in assuming then, that this phone connected to 4G wimax? Is there a different icon for 4G WIMAX and 4G LTE?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nope. They must be testing LTE in that area. You always see towers coming online and being tested before lte is "officially" covering an area. It is IMPOSSIBLE to connect to wimax from your phone.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope. They must be testing LTE in that area. You always see towers coming online and being tested before lte is "officially" covering an area. It is IMPOSSIBLE to connect to wimax from your phone.

Beat me to it lol. It's impossible to connect to 4G with our phones, it has to be 4G LTE you are connected to..... congrats, lucky you!

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I did read that as well, that they are different frequencies or whatever, but I puzzled regardless. Testing LTE makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish we can connect to Wimax on our phones or i'll be using 4G all the time... Its on thing I really hate about this phone but its all good, the phone rocks

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
They actually DO test the towers long before they launch them. I am in MPLS/St. Paul area. LTE launch for Sprint set for this spring, but I have had an intermittent 4G signal since mid January.

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Update-apparently it was only a trial, as from 8/14/13 (the next day), until the time of this writing it has been off in Norristown, I'm guessing off in Philly too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choll