Sprint S4: MK2 OTA update today killed WiFi

fischproduction

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hoping someone here can give some guidance.

Quick Background:
Bought the S4 on Black Friday. It updated to 4.3. Afterwards, I rooted the device. No issues. S4 was running like a champ.

This morning I had a message that an update has been downloaded. I did this MK2 update. I did have to reroot...
Since this update I can't get Wifi.
Whenever I hit the WiFi icon to turn it on: a "Security Information" pop up appears. It says The device has detected an application attempting to perform actions that are not permitted. These actions have been blocked.
It asks to reboot or reboot later. Reboot or not I'm in an endless cycle of this security message and the Wifi wont turn on.

Not sure what I should try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to avoid a factory reset.

Cheers,
Al

Last edited by a moderator:

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Re: MK2 OTA update today killed WiFi

reflash MJA using Odin. you won't lose your data. Get the Odin file from Sammoble.

Then flash MK2 OTA.

MK2 requires the stock recovery in order to update correctly.

Or just flash the modem and baseband without reflashing entire ROM. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=42954149&postcount=2

A factory reset wont work due to the baseband and modem not being flashed/patched correctly.

Last edited:

isuftin

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Could you tell me where to get MJA to flash using Odin? (Never mind, I see it in a few places, including your link :) ) As I understand it: Flash MJA using Odin, pull MK2 OTA, let that do its thing, then re-flash CWM?

My wifi was also killed my MK2 today. Unfortunately, I'm on day one of a week long conference and all I've got is a Macbook Pro with me :(

reflash MJA using Odin. you won't lose your data. Get the Odin file from Sammoble.

Then flash MK2 OTA.

Or just flash the modem and baseband without reflashing entire ROM. xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIRMWARE][ODIN] All Sprint Firmwares {12/8/13}

A factory reset wont work due to the baseband and modem not being flashed/patched correctly.

Last edited:

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

If you still have MK2 installed (or half installed), just download the radio and baseband package from the XDA link and flash in recovery (CWM or TWRP). It *should* fix wifi and version numbers. If not, you'll have to reflash MJA from Odin.

If you take the Odin MJA reflash route, get the MK2 official OTA from http://android.clients.google.com/p...CSB_user_RP_to_MK2_CSB_user_RP_Update_FWD.zip

But you must flash the OTA with the stock recovery, not CWM, TWRP, or Philz. Also, you can't be rooted yet. the MK2 OTA package is looking for a pristine MJA ROM. After to install MK2, you can re-root easily.

You can get Odin firmware from: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

I know all this cuz I did this a couple of days ago having the same problems. :)

Never lost my data.

The key is to use the Odin from Sammobile which doesn't blow away the data partition.

I did have to clear some app caches to get them to work right after update to MK2.

isuftin

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Im probably going to go the odin route as I have experience doing that instead of the radio/baseband route as I've never done that before ands I'd rather have a phone with no Wi-Fi this week than no phone at all :)

Two wuick question for follow-up:
- How do I get stock recovery back instead of CWM?
- The MK2 update killed my root so I would have to re-root anyway but are you saying that the phone can never have been rooted or just not be rooted at the time of flashing mk2?

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

When you re-flash with Odin it will put back the stock recovery, and of course lose root and any mods you have installed. (mods as in stuff flashed in recovery like themes)

Right after you re-flash MJA, let it boot and settle down, reboot into recovery, then do the MK2 update from either SD card or ADB sideload in stock recovery.

Yes, you just can't be rooted or have any mods installed at the time MK2 update runs. The update will fail if anything is missing or a system file changed. Hence doing the MK2 update right after reflashing MJA.

After MK2 is running and Wifi is working, then you can re-root and flash recovery of choice.

fischproduction

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Then flash MK2 OTA.

Or just flash the modem and baseband without reflashing entire ROM. xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIRMWARE][ODIN] All Sprint Firmwares {12/8/13}

Thanks a bunch. I flashed the modem it looks like everything is working. WiFi is working and the security messages are gone

VSAM1

May 7, 2013
Visit site

i was having the same issue with the wi-fi on my sprint galaxy S4 wont work after i did the MK2 update. i had my phone rooted.
i followed the steps above the steps are easy.
First- you will need odin3-v1.85 note! ( you might already have it when you downloaded it to root your phone )
Second- get the firmwares.. xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIRMWARE][ODIN] All Sprint Firmwares {12/8/13}
download MJA mirror 1 file and then unzip it anywhere you want.
also download MK2 mirror 1 file and unzip like the first one.
Third Step- open odin3-v.185 run it as administrator (you can see it by doing a right click )
Fourth step- get your phone onto download mode( by powering off then hold vol down and power)
then plug your phone to your computer and odin will detect the phone.
Fifth step- click on PDA and find MJA-modem file where you unzip it
make sure auto reboot is checked on odin.
Sixth step- click start and let it work. after its done it will reboot.
We are almost done! you will need to do the exact steps for MK2-modem file as you did for MJA-modem
get you phone on download mode then click PDA and find MK2-modem and then start.
your phone will reboot once again and that should fix the problem!! it worked for my sprint galaxy s4
HOPE YOU FIND this help full. and thanks to unixpsycho aswell and all the the Team. pass the good work guys.

cheopr2

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

thanks you very much//////finally I had the solution from you...its working,,my wifi is working again ..thanks a lot....I spent so may hours browsing different videos in youtube and xda ...but you hit the right stuff....thanks

nadimi

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This post saved my life. 3 hours wasted on this BS and was about to erase everything and start over. Thank you again!

user22410

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

My WIFI is working, but I've lost my root. I've tried installing TWRP and CWM, but neither are working and can't re-root. I was rooted using the stock, Sprint software. Unfortunately I did the data wipe first, then found your thread and flashed over the MJA file and MK2. Thoughts?

wrif101

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Your solution save me hours, Thanks ever so Much.

now, Is there a Safe way to restore root after preforming these updates?

GregGriffin13

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Hey all.

I'm a noob here as I have previously rooted my Evo, and purchased my S4 on Black Friday. I'm rooted, and have not yet downloaded the MK2 OTA. I'm glad to find you guys,

I will need to do a nandroid back up first, right?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I can then

1) Download the OTA to upgrade to MK2 from MJA (which is what's currently running with 4.3) and then flash new files after that to fix the wi fi or other known issues.
2) I will have to re-root using Odin after receiving the OTA, right?
3) Then I flash the modem and baseband files? It's the one at the top of the list, right?
4) Can I use TWRP recovery to do this?
5) I see I won't lose data, but will I have to reset the app placements and app layout on the phone as I have it now?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to the S4 world. I've been living in 2.3 on my Evo for too long!

Thanks!

Then flash MK2 OTA.

dzlnitro

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I did these steps and then downloaded the OTA update. My WiFi is up and running fine, but I just can't tell if the update took. Where do I look?

***Update my wifi is super slow and so is my 4G LTE

i was having the same issue with the wi-fi on my sprint galaxy S4 wont work after i did the MK2 update. i had my phone rooted.
First- you will need odin3-v1.85 note! ( you might already have it when you downloaded it to root your phone )
Second- get the firmwares.. xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIRMWARE][ODIN] All Sprint Firmwares {12/8/13}
Third Step- open odin3-v.185 run it as administrator (you can see it by doing a right click )
Fourth step- get your phone onto download mode( by powering off then hold vol down and power)
We are almost done! you will need to do the exact steps for MK2-modem file as you did for MJA-modem
get you phone on download mode then click PDA and find MK2-modem and then start.
your phone will reboot once again and that should fix the problem!! it worked for my sprint galaxy s4
HOPE YOU FIND this help full. and thanks to unixpsycho aswell and all the the Team. pass the good work guys.

Last edited:

isuftin

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much. There was a bit of a pucker moment there when I flashed MJA and tried to use the wifi but had the same issue. Then I flashed MKA and the problem was solved. Weird!

Thanks again, VSAM1!

GregGriffin13

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I followed these instructions. (At least I'm pretty sure I did.) I took the MK2 OTA which was waiting on my phone. At that point, I didn't have wi-fi which I expected from reading the posts, and also expected not to have root, but I did. Then I flashed back to MJA using Odin, and I had wifi back and still had root. I then flashed MK2, and was back to no wifi, but I've never lost root through the process.So I went back to MJA, and it's all good on my S4, except I'd like to flash the MK2 file to gain its bennies. Any ideas or similar experiences? I have the SPH-L720 model, so I think this should all apply.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

I followed these instructions. (At least I'm pretty sure I did.) I took the MK2 OTA which was waiting on my phone. At that point, I didn't have wi-fi which I expected from reading the posts, and also expected not to have root, but I did. Then I flashed back to MJA using Odin, and I had wifi back and still had root. I then flashed MK2, and was back to no wifi, but I've never lost root through the process.So I went back to MJA, and it's all good on my S4, except I'd like to flash the MK2 file to gain its bennies. Any ideas or similar experiences? I have the SPH-L720 model, so I think this should all apply.

Where did you get the MK2 OTA?

The official MK2 OTA can only be flashed with stock recovery, not CWM, TWRP, etc.

If you have broken WiFi after flashing MK2, flash the modem and baseband zip found in this thread I mentioned above.

GregGriffin13

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I downloaded from the Sprint notice on my phone.

Where did you get the MK2 OTA?

The official MK2 OTA can only be flashed with stock recovery, not CWM, TWRP, etc.

If you have broken WiFi after flashing MK2, flash the modem and baseband zip found in this thread I mentioned above.