Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Packages]

MongarEric

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When I boot into recovery mode it says "Enter: OK key" There is no OK key on the Epic. I've tried every button on the phone. I can't select any menu option. Anyone got any tips?

MongarEric

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I had tried the physical buttons on the keyboard. I assumed if it was any of the capacitive buttons, then something would have happened when I pressed their physical counterparts.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So i've been having trouble installing EB05. I keep getting the OTA push (and i've removed the update.zip after each try) but that fails with an error message along the lines of "unable to verify file signature", so i finally decided to try updating with the update.zip method, and doing this i get a message that says "E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 0)"

I'm currently running a manually installed EB13 (using the update.zip method for that) that is rooted, but as far as i'm aware this shouldn't be a problem, right? Only the unofficial releases (and not the official-then-pulled release of EB13) shouldn't be able to update via the OTA method, at least so i thought.

I've redownloaded the update in the first topic a couple of times trying to get it to work, but that was a no-go. I've verified that i didn't accidentally name it "update.zip.zip" (i always show file extensions on my machine). If i go in via andExplorer i can see update.zip in the root directory of my sdcard (/sdcard/update.zip), so i'm not entirely sure what's going on.

I haven't read through ALL of this topic, but i went through a good 10 pages or so, so if this has all ready been addressed i'm sorry, but I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
eerongal,

Did you remove any of the Sprint bloatware? If so, try reinstalling the bloatware you removed and then try the update again.

Usually the game Asphalt5 Demo has caused a lot of problems when updating if it was removed intentionally or unintentionally.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
eerongal,

Did you remove any of the Sprint bloatware? If so, try reinstalling the bloatware you removed and then try the update again.

Usually the game Asphalt5 Demo has caused a lot of problems when updating if it was removed intentionally or unintentionally.

Nope. The only thing i've done was root it to install and use wireless tether. Other than that, it's fully stock with bloatware in tact.

crazy.furby

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So i've been having trouble installing EB05. I keep getting the OTA push (and i've removed the update.zip after each try) but that fails with an error message along the lines of "unable to verify file signature", so i finally decided to try updating with the update.zip method, and doing this i get a message that says "E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 0)"

I'm currently running a manually installed EB13 (using the update.zip method for that) that is rooted, but as far as i'm aware this shouldn't be a problem, right? Only the unofficial releases (and not the official-then-pulled release of EB13) shouldn't be able to update via the OTA method, at least so i thought.

I've redownloaded the update in the first topic a couple of times trying to get it to work, but that was a no-go. I've verified that i didn't accidentally name it "update.zip.zip" (i always show file extensions on my machine). If i go in via andExplorer i can see update.zip in the root directory of my sdcard (/sdcard/update.zip), so i'm not entirely sure what's going on.

I haven't read through ALL of this topic, but i went through a good 10 pages or so, so if this has all ready been addressed i'm sorry, but I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

I also had a rooted, manually installed EB13 and was experiencing the same problem trying to upgrade to EC5. Finally, just upgraded to EC5. Here is what I did. I installed "ROM Manager 4.0" that is featured on the homepage today. Within ROM Manager, I installed ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4. Within ROM Manager, selected Reboot into Recovery. My Epic4g booted into ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.2.4 instead of v2.5.1.0. I had no problem applying the EC5 update this time.

The phone is upgraded. Build says FROYO.EC5 now. Just re-rooted my phone. Wondering how to remove ClockworkMod v2.5.1.0 and keep only v3.0.2.4. Does anyone know?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I also had a rooted, manually installed EB13 and was experiencing the same problem trying to upgrade to EC5. Finally, just upgraded to EC5. Here is what I did. I installed "ROM Manager 4.0" that is featured on the homepage today. Within ROM Manager, I installed ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4. Within ROM Manager, selected Reboot into Recovery. My Epic4g booted into ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.2.4 instead of v2.5.1.0. I had no problem applying the EC5 update this time.

The phone is upgraded. Build says FROYO.EC5 now. Just re-rooted my phone. Wondering how to remove ClockworkMod v2.5.1.0 and keep only v3.0.2.4. Does anyone know?

First of all, you will end up running into problems. DON'T USE ROM MANAGER. I know its working for you up to this point but that will only last for so long. Rom Manager is basically "broken" for the Epic, even the top ROM devs will tell you the same thing. They don't use it or recommend it.

CWM 3.0.2.4 is also "broken" at this point. Its in early stages and need much more testing before its recommended for daily use.

I would uninstall ROM Manager immediately and follow my instructions below.

If you are looking to simply run stock EC05/rooted then use procedure #1. If your looking to run EC05/custom ROMs then use procedure #2. This is the "recommended way" to properly root and have CWM 3.0.0.6 installed on your device.

[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4 - Updated 4/1

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
First of all, you will end up running into problems. DON'T USE ROM MANAGER. I know its working for you up to this point but that will only last for so long. Rom Manager is basically "broken" for the Epic, even the top ROM devs will tell you the same thing. They don't use it or recommend it.

CWM 3.0.2.4 is also "broken" at this point. Its in early stages and need much more testing before its recommended for daily use.

I would uninstall ROM Manager immediately and follow my instructions below.

If you are looking to simply run stock EC05/rooted then use procedure #1. If your looking to run EC05/custom ROMs then use procedure #2. This is the "recommended way" to properly root and have CWM 3.0.0.6 installed on your device.

do you have any recommendation for the issue i've been having upgrading if i shouldn't use the process detailed by crazy.furby?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
do you have any recommendation for the issue i've been having upgrading if i shouldn't use the process detailed by crazy.furby?

A bit more information is needed but heres some quick ideas/tips. I highly recommend you don't use the method crazy.furby used because it will run you into trouble and the only way out of trouble is to basically start over again...

- If your rooted/and or running a custom ROM then backup your important stuff with Titanium or MyBackup Root and go to the thread below and Odin to Froyo EB13 and then grab the OTA update to EC05 or do the manual update.zip method from the OP in this thread. After you obtain root you can restore your backups.

- If your waiting on a OTA that hasn't happened or the update.zip method has failed then do as instructed above and Odin to EB13 and then update manually to EC05 and then you can get rooted and move onward how you please.

- If you simply want to update to stock EC05 from a earlier version and OTA or manual has failed then same thing Odin back to EB13 and then update OTA/manually.

Procedure #1 in the thread below will give you the process for Froyo EB13
[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Use the thread below to obtain root properly and should be the only method used. DONT USE ROM MANAGER! EVEN WITH THE NEW RELEASE OF ROM MANAGER.. STAY AWAY!

Manual update.zip methods are posted in the OP of this thread.

Any further questions please ask.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
A bit more information is needed but heres some quick ideas/tips. I highly recommend you don't use the method crazy.furby used because it will run you into trouble and the only way out of trouble is to basically start over again...

- If your rooted/and or running a custom ROM then backup your important stuff with Titanium or MyBackup Root and go to the thread below and Odin to Froyo EB13 and then grab the OTA update to EC05 or do the manual update.zip method from the OP in this thread. After you obtain root you can restore your backups.

- If your waiting on a OTA that hasn't happened or the update.zip method has failed then do as instructed above and Odin to EB13 and then update manually to EC05 and then you can get rooted and move onward how you please.

- If you simply want to update to stock EC05 from a earlier version and OTA or manual has failed then same thing Odin back to EB13 and then update OTA/manually.

Procedure #1 in the thread below will give you the process for Froyo EB13
[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Use the thread below to obtain root properly and should be the only method used. DONT USE ROM MANAGER! EVEN WITH THE NEW RELEASE OF ROM MANAGER.. STAY AWAY!

Manual update.zip methods are posted in the OP of this thread.

Any further questions please ask.

what more information do you need? I'll gladly provide what i can, obviously. the error ive been getting with the OTA is "error validating whole efile signature". I am currently rooted (for wireless tether) and running a manually installed EB13 through the update.zip method. I haven't removed any bloatware that came with the phone. When i try to manually install i get the error "erros in update.zip (status 0)"

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
what more information do you need? I'll gladly provide what i can, obviously. the error ive been getting with the OTA is "error validating whole efile signature". I am currently rooted (for wireless tether) and running a manually installed EB13 through the update.zip method. I haven't removed any bloatware that came with the phone. When i try to manually install i get the error "erros in update.zip (status 0)"

Thats fine... Wasn't sure what your status was, rooted/custom ROM..

Some people have had problems doing the update rooted, others haven't... Just throwing this out, you were using the correct update.zip? One is listed for DI18 to EC05 and the other is EB13 to EC05.

Make your backups if you like with Titanium/Mybackup Root first.

Follow my suggestions to Odin to EB13 and then you can do the manual update/OTA (if OTA is still offered) to get on EC05.

Then you can root again with the link provided and be on your way again.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thats fine... Wasn't sure what your status was, rooted/custom ROM..

Some people have had problems doing the update rooted, others haven't... Just throwing this out, you were using the correct update.zip? One is listed for DI18 to EC05 and the other is EB13 to EC05.

Make your backups if you like with Titanium/Mybackup Root first.

Follow my suggestions to Odin to EB13 and then you can do the manual update/OTA (if OTA is still offered) to get on EC05.

Then you can root again with the link provided and be on your way again.

yeah, i was using the correct update.zip, and I made sure it was named update.zip (and not update.zip.zip like the original post says. I always show extensions on my machine). I tried redownloading it several times and I read and reread the initial post to make sure i wasn't doing something wrong.

Now, i've never had to restore using mybackup (i use mybackup root with nightly backups, but don't have pro) but that WILL preserve my data in my apps (e.g. angry birds levels, checkbook app data, and things such as that) right? That's honestly the only thing that's kept me stock from going into a custom rom. I had an epic from launch day, and by the time custom roms started coming out, I had a good bit of data on the phone that i didn't want to lose, and I didn't want to chance it with mybackup not working or something. If i have to go the odin method, i may just load up a custom rom anyways

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
yeah, i was using the correct update.zip, and I made sure it was named update.zip (and not update.zip.zip like the original post says. I always show extensions on my machine). I tried redownloading it several times and I read and reread the initial post to make sure i wasn't doing something wrong.

Now, i've never had to restore using mybackup (i use mybackup root with nightly backups, but don't have pro) but that WILL preserve my data in my apps (e.g. angry birds levels, checkbook app data, and things such as that) right? That's honestly the only thing that's kept me stock from going into a custom rom. I had an epic from launch day, and by the time custom roms started coming out, I had a good bit of data on the phone that i didn't want to lose, and I didn't want to chance it with mybackup not working or something. If i have to go the odin method, i may just load up a custom rom anyways
Yes I would do both just in case one fails.. MyBackup Root and use Titanium also definitely for Angry Birds. I have used Titanium to restore Angry Birds in the past so you should be fine.. Just re download your Angry Birds app then just do a Data only restore with Titanium...

There is also SMS Backup and Restore from the Market that will do text messages.