Stock search function not finding some contacts?

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas why when I press the magnifier/find function it does not catch some names? I am stock/unrooted, running the latest update.
I can go into my address book and find them with no problem, but with 400-500 contacts, that's a pain. I can't see any obvious differences in the contact info/fields.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using TapaTalk

Last edited:

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Try the "Aurora" app in the market.
I use it when i need to do a detailed search.
It can search by name, phone number, note field, etc.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, will check that out. I did delete and manually re enter the contact this always happens to and it fixed it..... Sort of. Now I can search and find the contact but when I open it, it immediately dials the cell number rather than showing me the contact and offering options. Any ideas? I did go into the contact and change the default action but no love.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Bump. Anyone? Are there aftermarket search apps out there?

Just a couple of things to keep in mind...

If you press the [Phone] button and see your number, it will auto-dial that number if you push it. If you press the People app, then search, it will not auto-dial.

Also, the search function in the People app does not search on middle names. I have long ago adopted the policy of putting all names in the "given name" field. That way my search will always find what I'm looking for. Example: John A Smith Future Manufacturing (all in the given name field). I can type any of those words into the People/search field and get a hit.

Also, make sure you have the raw search function set the way you want (i.e. Home screen, Search capacitive key, Menu, Search settings. Check the ones you want to search by default).

This behavior is all by design.

I like to leave my search settings on Web and Apps only. When I want to search for people in my dialing directory I use the People app search. Or, the Phone button if I'm sure I want to call them right then.

Just some thoughts...

-Frank

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Frank, this is helpful and you have given me some things to consider. So I had been using the spyglass thingy/button to search for contacts and apps. So maybe I open the people app and search from there, which behaves as one would expect (though its an extra key/finger stroke). Maybe I'll reassign the spyglass for just internet searching instead of searching for people/contacts in my phone.