Stopping apps from startup.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
In order to help with sucky battery life, I'm trying an app called Battery Doctor. Love it.
I have some apps that just insist on running in the background, I've turned off notifications in each app settings, but clearly I'm missing something because Battery Doc keeps killing them. Which..is good! But, I'm wondering if any of you have found a way to stop them from even starting up in the first place.
It maybe me just user error and not having some of the app settings right.
Facebook (Ok, I open it, and understand it staying open, but no notifications are selected.)
Out of Milk (sync is off)
Milk Radio
Carbonite
8 tracks.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You have to freeze those apps to prevent them from running on startup. For that you need an app like Titanium Backup or Greenify.
Anyway...you get no benefit from closing running apps on Android. It is actually more detrimental to system performance and battery life to keep force stopping apps with task killers.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
You have to freeze those apps to prevent them from running on startup. For that you need an app like Titanium Backup or Greenify.
Thanks!
Anyway...you get no benefit from closing running apps on Android. It is actually more detrimental to system performance and battery life to keep force stopping apps with task killers.
Really? That just sounds sort of backwards. Like in Windows, we're used to closing things that are 'resource hogs'. I certainly don't know.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Interesting read.
Alls I know is that I've been running that battery doctor for 1 day and my batter life is a lot better. Pretty much same things today as yesterday.
I've got 3 lites left on my Mophie case, and 48% phone battery left..it's 4 pm and off charge since 5 this am. Usually by now, the Mophie is completely drained.
We'll see how it all rolls out as the days go by.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Interesting read.
Alls I know is that I've been running that battery doctor for 1 day and my batter life is a lot better. Pretty much same things today as yesterday.
I've got 3 lites left on my Mophie case, and 48% phone battery left..it's 4 pm and off charge since 5 this am. Usually by now, the Mophie is completely drained.
We'll see how it all rolls out as the days go by.

Well, there are some apps that constantly run in the background and are constantly syncing, backing up, etc. but most apps do not need to be closed out of. Especially if you're going to be using them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I can say that after a full day of using the Battery Doctor app, I went to bed with 47% left on my battery AND 25% on my Mophie.
Usually...around the same usage in a day, I'm going to bed with less than 10% and the Mophie drained.
Several times during the day I'd catch the alert that says 'Battery doctor killed 9 apps' or whatever, that briefly flashes.
So, it appears that the Battery Doctor app is really helping on battery life.