Strange indefinite repeating tone

djchapple

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Just a short time ago my Galaxy S20FE 5G phone started making a regularlry repeating tone which I cannot stop.

It plays at a rate of 3 every five seconds.

The sound is not a single tone but more of a "ding-dong2 where the ding is shorter than the dong

Putting the phone onto mute dows mute the sound but this is replaced by a buzz at the same frequency

I have tried turning off notifications without sucess.

I have looked around but I cannor find any notifications or comments relating to this odd noise.

I have turned off th phone and then back on but the tones is still there.

SM-G781B
Android 13

Help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off NFC. Or, if you use a wallet-style case and have a few credit cards or other kinds of ID cards in it, remove those cards and see if the tones go away.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

djchapple

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I gave up and did a factory reset, used my Samsung account to reinstall all appps and the noise returned? So I have reset it again and will rebuild it without using Samsung to re-install everything.

Thanks for thjr postlaura.

After I have reinstalled everything and assuming the trouble returns, I will give your suggestions a go

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I gave up and did a factory reset, used my Samsung account to reinstall all appps and the noise returned? So I have reset it again and will rebuild it without using Samsung to re-install everything.

Thanks for thjr postlaura.

After I have reinstalled everything and assuming the trouble returns, I will give your suggestions a go
Did you try turning off NFC before resorting to the factory reset?