Switching from iPhone to Moto X DE Tips/Suggestions?

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have a Moto X DE on the way and am making the switch from having and loving iPhones for years. My family and friends are all mostly iPhone users. I am still in love with my Macbook Pro and iPad, but the affection has worn off with my 5. Two phones with battery issues and now a charging port problem and I am pretty much looking for a change. I understand the Moto X is probably the best phone out there right now for me and since the price was only $50 more for the DE version I went with that.

I am new to Android, Rooting and Unlocking Bootloaders, but like to tinker, so some day I will delve into that. I still will be using the iCloud calendars to keep schedules straight with my wife and two kids in High School. I have done doe searching and reading here and think SmoothSync is probably the best choice for that. I will miss the iMessage feature and would like to somehow still get texts sent to my phone on my Mac/iPad. I am not sure if that can happen or not..anyone know?

I am looking for some tips/hints/suggestions at making the transition easier and ways to smoothly integrate with my iPhone friends.

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If you use Chrome as your browser on the Mac (if possible) you can use Motorola Connect to get your messages and call details on your desktop.
You will not be disappointed with the phone I have been using one for 3 weeks now.
You might have to detatch yourself a bit from the Apple thing now that you're on Android.
Enjoy.

Tapatalked from my G PAD 8.3

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
AT&T. Is there a reason why the carrier would matter? This is all new, so I'm still learning.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Be careful with the tinkering of rooting and unlocking boot loader. Especially with the upcoming 4.2.2 update. There has been reports of tinkers bricking their phone. However, the moto x experience is refreshing and different in its own way without tinkering. I suggest to install hangouts and using that app for texting because the original texting app does not do MMS well nor picture sending. I also suggest go to settings->about phone and keep clicking the build number. You will eventually open developers options, which is listed in settings. I suggest changing window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale to 0.5x. Also, if you see a red hat floating on the screen then try to touch it. You will experience a fun movie like short.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I don't plan on tinkering too much for a while, but the price difference between the DE and regular makes sense to spend the extra for the DE.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Also, shop on eBay for a motorola admiral phone. Try and see if you can buy an unlocked admiral phone by motorola for $20 or less. Make sure it haves the charger and that you check the used section. Atm I see one for $23. If you do find one and have bought it, then go to http://www.mototradeup.com and send the admiral phone with a picture of your new moto x box, a copy of your moto x receipt, and whatever else they require. Motorola will send you a $100 gift card that is on a prepaid credit card.

PS: they pay for the shipping.

Posted via Android Central App

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I don't plan on tinkering too much for a while, but the price difference between the DE and regular makes sense to spend the extra for the DE.

If you are planning on tinkering, unlock the bootloader right away since it clears the data. It's best to do this before having any data to lose. Keep in mind when reading up/learning about root that the 'exploits' for rooting are for locked BL phones. Once you are unlocked, you install a custom recovery and flash superuser, no gimmicky, long involved processes.

-Nexus 10-

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
If you are planning on tinkering, unlock the bootloader right away since it clears the data. It's best to do this before having any data to lose. Keep in mind when reading up/learning about root that the 'exploits' for rooting are for locked BL phones. Once you are unlocked, you install a custom recovery and flash superuser, no gimmicky, long involved processes.

-Nexus 10-

Perfect! Any favorite current tutorials for newbs?

Thanks!
Dave

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Since your getting the developer edition, you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty, you'll keep it with the dev phone. Go here to unlock the bootloader. I'd recommend looking on xda and reading up on rooting info. There's a world of information out there and the best way to learn is to read read read!

-Nexus 10-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796