System restarts at least three times per day!

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hoping someone can help diagnose this problem as I have no idea what has been added to start causing these restarts. I know with my Pre if I had a bunch going on the device would restart if it overheated, however I have not felt much heat coming from the device when it restarts, so it seems to be something else.

Recent steps: deleted browser cache, and updated Profile, PRL, and checked HTC firmware is up to date.

What tools are available to maybe get an idea for what is causing this? I have lookout security, but of course all that does is scan new apps vs looking for registry errors etc.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you looked at apps or something you may have downloaded prior to this happening? I suggest removing whatever you may have downloaded before the system started acting up...if not you may have to do the dreaded factory reset.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That is why I was hoping to be directed to a tool that might help diagnose. I don't know any apps that were downloaded around the time this started happening.

frieked

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
That happened to mine a while ago. Turned out to be a defective nand in my phone and I had to get it replaced. If you hard reset and it still happens you probably have the same thing.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. I might have an idea that'll help track it down. When it reboots, does it happen randomly, or it happens when you try to do something specific? In other words can you see a pattern at all of what it reboots?

Edit: Just realized my idea wont work. Was thinking of having you do a logcat through the catlog app.. But once it restarts it'll clear..

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue recently in Las Vegas. It rebooted on me like 3 times. Since I've been back in L.A. the problem stopped occuring. From my understanding the kernel is usually the culprit of a reboot. Was your signal bouncing alot lately?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a developer, so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here. I don't believe there is any kind of tool that you can run that will identify where a problem like this can be pinpointed to. You have to eaither 1) uninstall apps one at a time and see if the problem goes away, or 2) factory restore and start from scratch.

Or, as others have mentioned, identify if the reboot is a triggered response to doing a particular action. When I first got my EVO it would restart every time I accessed an app that used the GPS. I had to factory restore my device to fix this though, but if your trigger is something different then there may be a known fix out there for it.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well technically there is a way to see what's triggering it. You would need the sdk tools so you can do an adb logcat, plug the phone to your computer, open a terminal: abd logcat and you'll see on your computers terminal everything that's going on in the background of your phone. The problem with that is you'd have to stare at your computer waiting for it to restart. You would definitely see what would cause it that way because you'll probably see a sudden list of errors and restart. But the idea of staring at your computer waiting for something to happen I'm sure isn't something you'd want to do.

jcl_cls01

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Happened to me numerous times. Bring your phone to your local Sprint store and show them your issue. Then they will do a factory restore, or software restore. Then if it reboots again while its in its factory state, they will replace it. They did for me. My replacement hasn't rebooted unexpectedly ever since I got it.

Last edited:

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Happened to me numerous times. Bring your phone to your local Sprint store and show them your issue. Then they will do a factory restore, or software restore. Then if it reboots again while its in its factory state, they will replace it. They did for me. My replacement hasn't rebooted unexpectedly ever since I got it.

Exactly. I just did the exact same thing you did and I got a brand new (not refurbished) white EVO from my local Sprint store. They had to order it and I got it in two days. I got the new hardware 0004 version and it come straight out of the tv dinner carton with OS version 3.30.651.3. So far not a single random reboot. My other EVO was rebooting several times a day and I was going crazy.

OP, go have your EVO swapped out. It's most likely defective because there are lots of other people with EVO's that have the exact same issue.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I think I was running low on RAM cuz I got rid of some apps I haven't used much, and did a little more clean up. Haven't had a reboot since yesterday when I posted. Was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about emptying my app list to fix the issue, but there were a couple apps for sure that I wasn't using.

The factory reset or having the store do some stuff isn't really in my realm os possibilities for now anyway, as I have a couple cracked apps like NFL mobile and Swype that I don't want to give up and have to try to find again.

Thanks @Jersy for the info regarding your troubleshooting. I'll reference this again if the issue comes back.

RobFla#AC

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here... but mine was in a reboot loop - brought it to Sprint and they did a hard restart and it was good for a week but then...it was in reboot hell... never came out of the coma.. so back to Sprint and now waiting for a new one.. they said it is an issue with some of them, software problem... suggestion.. bring it back and get a new one becasue it will continue and end up in a coma :) good luck

Hoping someone can help diagnose this problem as I have no idea what has been added to start causing these restarts. I know with my Pre if I had a bunch going on the device would restart if it overheated, however I have not felt much heat coming from the device when it restarts, so it seems to be something else.

Recent steps: deleted browser cache, and updated Profile, PRL, and checked HTC firmware is up to date.

What tools are available to maybe get an idea for what is causing this? I have lookout security, but of course all that does is scan new apps vs looking for registry errors etc.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
This happened to me quite a few times. I use custom roms though and found that was the reason for my boot loops. Everytime I would play Angry Birds or use my gps, the phone would automatically reboot. Switched to a new rom and its been heaven ever since. So if you are running a custom rom make sure that its compatible with your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal