My experience with AT&T Live Chat - LG G2 Kit Kat Update

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
So it has been a week and I still have not recieved the OTA Kit Kat update pushed to my phone. I have read in the forums people contacting AT&T live chat and getting it wrapped up pretty quick. Here is my experience:

1st CONVO:
You are now connected with 'Chenika Fortune'.
Chenika Fortune: Thank you for contacting Technical Support. My name is Chenika Fortune. Before we begin, can you please confirm the wireless number that we will be working with?
Joe: XXXXXXXXXX
Chenika Fortune: Thank you Joe
Joe: No problem!
Chenika Fortune: I will be glad to assist you. I am not sure if we are able to push the update but will check to make sure.
Chenika Fortune: May I have the IMEI number to your phone? You can dial *#06#
Joe: one sec
Joe: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Chenika Fortune: Okay. I am looking at some information now.
Joe: ok
Chenika Fortune: What is your current software version Joe?
Joe: one sec
Joe: Software Version D80010o
Chenika Fortune: Okay Thanks. D80010o Is that D80010q?
Chenika Fortune: I am showing that you must have software version D80010q that was released February 13, before you can upgrade to the 4.4.2
Joe: It says D80010o
Joe: That must be why mine is not pushing.
Chenika Fortune: Yes, I think that might be the reason.
Joe: Can you push that one and then the next?
Chenika Fortune: I am not able to push any of them. I can search the website to see if the manufacture can or what we need to do.
Joe : Hmm. I researched the internet and many people in forums said they contacted AT&T live chat and were able to push the updates. Let me know what you find out.
Chenika Fortune: Okay.
Chenika Fortune: Would you mind if I placed you on hold for approximately three to five minutes so I can research your request? I am waiting on my next level support.
Joe: That works.
Chenika Fortune: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Joe: OK.
Chenika Fortune: I will be right with you.
Chenika Fortune: I am speaking with LG they said that the update will push to your device automatically. They said that the updates are being pushed to phones in groups and he has had a lot of questions regarding this update too. He told me I can also check LG website which I am doing now.
Joe: OK. I had read that some issues with the d80010q pushing and if you didn't get that once d80010o pushed then you were kinda stuck. Can you see what they think about that.
Chenika Fortune: Yes, I will.
Joe: Thanks.
Chenika Fortune: On website now looking around.
Chenika Fortune: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Chenika Fortune: Still searching website is a little confusing.
Chenika Fortune: Thank you for your patience.
Joe: Yeah, they usually are.
Chenika Fortune: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Joe: ok.
Chenika Fortune: Found this so far which is not to helpful. LG Help: Product Support and Troubleshooting | LG USA
Joe: Yes, I can manually check for updates which you can only do every 24 hours. So I have done it once a day roughly.
Joe: I cannot check right now,says I have to wait 9 hrs. and 28min
Chenika Fortune: This is something else you might can read. How to: AT&T LG G2 D80010o root by using updated ioroot script | AndroMods
Chenika Fortune: I am still searching my next level support will not be available until 10:45 so if needed I can contact them then.
Chenika Fortune: AT & T LG G2 (LG D800) firmware update Version D80010o
Chenika Fortune: Says for the D80010o
Joe: Ahh no don't suggest that. I do not to root my phone. AT&T should not suggest this FYI it voids your warranty.
Joe: What time it it there?
Chenika Fortune: Yes, I figured that, that is why I said you can read over it, I was hoping it gave some suggestion for the LG website. I was not able to read the whole article.
Chenika Fortune: It is 10:43
Joe: OK no problem.
Chenika Fortune: Just about another minute.
Chenika Fortune: The LG representative did not know much about the update and referred me to website, but did not know where exactly on the website I should look. So I am hoping our support can give a little more information.
Joe: This is what I have read:
Joe: "FYI... I had the same issue (was not getting the 4.4.2 update) and I just purchased the G2 yesterday ( the G2 on display in the store had 4.4.2) The tech was able to push the 2/13 update (15.4MB). Once he did that I just had to bump the date on my G2 to force it to poll the server and it's downloading the 4.4.2 update now. The tech originaly indicated that I was on the most recent version and I had to send him the link from the AT&T web site indicating the release of 4.4.2: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...t%2Fsoftwar...id%3D43hi7cVdfWq&token=UE8y_c1t It seems like AT&T will only push the most recent update (in this case 4.4.2) automatically. The flaw with this is if you have a G2 that is more than 1 update behind as the only way to get prior updates is by having a tech push those updates. If anyone doesn't have the 4.4.2 update, I'd say it's worth while doing an online chat with technical support to get them to send out the update. You may need to send them the link I posted above to actually convince them that AT&T did release 4.4.2."
Chenika Fortune: Okay. Speaking with my next level support now.
Joe: Also this was a follow up to that:
Joe: "I just activated my g2 yesterday as well (coming from an HTC one - not sure if I'm going to stay with the g2 yet) and was two updates behind. Gentleman from Utah was able to push three updates last night. Took maybe 45 minutes total. Went the chat route after moving the date ahead didn't work and couldn't update for 700 hours after going back to the correct day. Posted via Android Central App"
Chenika Fortune: We have a system that pushes updates, he said as of last week there was no updates to push but is checking again now.
Joe: Specifically to me?
Chenika Fortune: Yes, if it is in our system to push out we can push to you.
Joe: Both of the updates?
Joe: Because it seems I am one behind. Like we discussed.
Chenika Fortune: Let me see what we have first.
Joe: OK cool.
Chenika Fortune: Are you currently on wifi?
Joe: No unfortunately. I have to leave in 10 minutes for lunch. then I will be,
Joe: I am not sure If your system will let me keep this chat on for an hour.
Chenika Fortune: Okay we sent an update and it failed. He just asked me if you were under wifi. Just a moment.
Joe: My understanding was I could receive the update cellular then I had to be on wifi to download it.
Chenika Fortune: Okay. Joe so once you get to an wifi area you will see the download available for d80010q. Then when kit kat 4.2.2 is available it will automatically push to your phone for you to update.
Chenika Fortune: You can also check the LG Phone Update Tool
Joe: Awesome. I will give it a go when I get home on my lunch break.
Chenika Fortune: Looking for website for that.
Joe: Can I keep this chat open while on lunch to confirm when I get back?
Chenika Fortune: I will not close the chat. Not sure if it will close automatically. You can also copy and paste the interaction.
Joe: If not no big deal. Now that I think about it I cannot check for an update for another 9 hours according to the phones updater so I may have to wait till then.
Joe: OK. I will keep it open and see.

2nd CONVO:

You are now connected with 'Shirley Cox'.
Shirley Cox: Thank you for contacting Technical Support. My name is Shirley Cox. Before we begin, can you please confirm the wireless number that we will be working with?
Joe: XXXXXXXXXX
Shirley Cox: Thank you. One moment while I open your account.
Joe: No problem. I chatted with someone earlier today. Are you able to access that?
Shirley Cox: Yes, I am doing that now.
Joe: Fantastic.
Shirley Cox: I have accessed the prior chat you had with Chenika. I do not have a way to push the updates, but I am checking to see if it can be done. Do you mind waiting for about three minutes while I research this further?
Shirley Cox: I understand that the update was pushed to your phone earlier.
Joe: No problem. She had to do the same.
Joe: Yes the update d80010q Was pushed. Which is what I was told the first step. The second would be to have Kit Kat pushed. Not sure the software number on that one.
Shirley Cox: Thank you. Just a moment.
Shirley Cox: Are you connected to wi-fi now?
Shirley Cox: Okay, it is my understanding that you have to wait for another 24 hours.
Joe: No, unfortunately. She said the same thing. They pushed it and when I connected to my wifi on my lunch break at home I was able to get it.
Joe: I was just hoping we could do the same, then when I get home after work I will get the push.
Joe: But if it is better to wait until I get home I can do that too and chat then.
Shirley Cox: Yes, I was told that you did the interim update. The next check cannot be for another 24 hours after the original push was sent to your phone.
Joe: OK, so I wait 24 hours and it will automatically push to my phone?
Joe: Or do I need to chat again and have it pushed?
Shirley Cox: I am checking on that now.
Joe: Awesome. Thanks
Shirley Cox: You will need to use the LG Phone Update tool. It will do a backup of your phone before erasing all data to do the update.
Shirley Cox: The 4.4 update will erase all stored data on the phone. The update when it is pushed does not do a phone backup before erasing all data.
Joe: Thats odd, never had an OTA Android update do that before.
Joe: The LG Phone Update tool, does that work on Macintosh? I do not have a Windows PC.
Shirley Cox: I have been assured that the push will definitely erase all data on your phone.
Joe: So when will I get the push?
Shirley Cox: The LG device automatically searches for updates.
Shirley Cox: When it is available you will receive a notification on your phone.
Shirley Cox: Notification - AT&T software update: A new software update from AT&T is available for your phone. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your phone. All phone service (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install.

Joe: "will not delete any personal data on your phone" you just said it would.
Shirley Cox: The tech I am speaking strongly recommends that you follow this procedure. If he pushes it to your phone, he says it will erase all data stored. He cannot push it for another 24 hours.
Shirley Cox: Your choice.
Shirley Cox: You can chat back in 24 hours if you wish and as long as you know you will lose data, I am sure they will push it to your phone.
Joe: OK, if I wait and do not have him push it. Will I eventually get it and will it not erase my data?
Shirley Cox: The phone automatically checks for updates every 24 hours. It should do this for you as well.
Shirley Cox: You should receive the notification that I gave you.
Joe: But it will erase my data even though in the notification it says it won't. Or is that only the case if I have the tech push it to me?
Shirley Cox: I am trying to tell you that it will not erase data stored to the phone if you follow the recommended procedures.
Shirley Cox: If you have us push this to you, you will lose data, according to the tech that I am speaking with.
Joe: So use the LG Update Tool. You have not explained what that is how how to use it. Or if it will work with Mac.
Shirley Cox: No, you will receive the notification that it is available and you should be able to do this on your phone.
Shirley Cox: LG G2 devices automatically search for updates at 8 hours, 30 days, 6 months, and 12-month intervals upon activation (or after factory reset). The user selects OK and follows the steps to download and install the new software. Customers also have the option to postpone the update for one, four, or eight hours. The software update requires a Wi-Fi connection for the download to begin.

Notification - AT&T software update: A new software update from AT&T is available for your phone. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your phone. All phone service (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install.

Tap Continue.
The device begins to download the software update.
The device automatically restarts once the new software has successfully downloaded.
Status message: The software has been successfully installed. Your phone is now ready to use.
Tap Done.

Shirley Cox: These are the instructions for Device-Initiated Download
Shirley Cox: User-Initiated Download Instructions

Select Menu or pull down the notification shade.
Select All Settings.
Select General.
Select About phone.
Select Software update.
Select Update Now.
If not connected to Wi-Fi, a message reads: A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download process to begin. Connect to Wi-Fi network?
If already connected, skip and go back to step 5.
A message then displays: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install.
Tap Continue.
Status message: The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.
Tap OK.
Shirley Cox: Per the information that we have been provided the update will be available to you in 24 hours.
Shirley Cox: Do you have any other questions?
Joe: You are not having the tech push to my device correct?
Shirley Cox: No Sir.
Shirley Cox: If you wish to have them do this, you will need to chat back in.
Joe: I wait 24 hours, and the device will check and automatically find the update. I accept this way and I will not lose any data.
Shirley Cox: That is correct.
Joe: I will wait. Thanks for your time.
Shirley Cox: Do you have any other questions?
Joe: Nope thats it.
Shirley Cox: If you need additional assistance specific to your device, you can view our website at AT&TBusiness. We welcome your feedback: please click here to complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey. Thank you for your business and have a pleasant day.

So what do you guys think about all this? Personally I couldn't believe the first person was essentially just google searching before being able to talk to the tech and linked my to a random website that was method of root. Hello?!?!? Really?
And the second person came off as snarky to me, what do you think? Maybe I am just reading into it too much. Either way I got the D80010q update to prepare me for Kit Kat and I told them not to have the tech push it to my phone (even thought I am pretty sure an OTA will no erase data even if a tech pushes it to you). I had about 8 hours before the updater would let me check again.

Well I just looked to see how much time was left and what do you know what I assume is Kit Kat is trying to be pushed to my phone after I told them not to.
Haha. Well I guess when I get back home and on wifi I will let it run. I don't think it will erase my data if it says in the push notification that it won't. Anyways just wanted to share my experience.

PS- The second person I chatted with I was kinda messing with near the end and asking the same questions in a different way once she showed that she was getting short tempered.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think it depends on who you talk to. Some know the correct info while others have no idea KitKat has even been released.

And the pushed update should go through without erasing data. Flashing an update through flash tool would erase data.

Sent from my LG-G2

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think it depends on who you talk to. Some know the correct info while others have no idea KitKat has even been released.

And the pushed update should go through without erasing data. Flashing an update through flash tool would erase data.

Sent from my LG-G2

That is exactly what I thought. It was tough because I am getting info from 1 person who is getting it from the tech. I think she was confused by what the tech was saying exactly. Thanks for your input. I feel better about receiving the OTA now.

yoshi351

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I got the 15.4Mb download today and I had to change the date due to that stupid 24 he wait. Then I got another update which was kit Kat. Now I a happy person with my kit Kat. Now to find the best way to remove carrier IQ.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I got the 15.4Mb download today and I had to change the date due to that stupid 24 he wait. Then I got another update which was kit Kat. Now I a happy person with my kit Kat. Now to find the best way to remove carrier IQ.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

There does not seem to be a way to disable CarrierIQ anymore (unless maybe if you are rooted). However, the battery is just as good (if not better) than when I was on 4.2.2 with CarrierIQ disabled!

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Just an update. Got home on wifi and the kit Kat update pushed. It is running now and works great. Though the at&t live chat was drawn out and a little irritating seems to have been worth it.

ಠ益ಠ

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
There does not seem to be a way to disable CarrierIQ anymore (unless maybe if you are rooted). However, the battery is just as good (if not better) than when I was on 4.2.2 with CarrierIQ disabled!
I have Carrier IQ and KK and can shut IQ off the exact same way as before KK. I have also seen other G2's with KK and IQ.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Carrier IQ and KK and can shut IQ off the exact same way as before KK. I have also seen other G2's with KK and IQ.

Are you on AT&T?? If so, please advise how/where Carrier IQ is located, so that it can be disabled.
After the 4.4.2 update, CarrierIQ is no longer listed as an option to disable in Apps>Android System as it was on 4.2.2.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Are you absolutely sure you are on Kit Kat and AT&T?
Nobody anywhere else who is on kit kat has been able to shut down CIQ the same way as before.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Nobody anywhere else who is on kit kat has been able to shut down CIQ the same way as before.

To throw another wrench into things this is my experience: I bought my LG G2 slightly used and on arrival soft bricked it because I tried to get an OTA and I did not know it was rooted. I unrooted the phone and installed the factory AT&T firmware. After that I was setting up the device and searching forums for answers and everyone is complaining about Carrier IQ. I cannot find it ANYWHERE on my device. Maybe it was removed during root and that carried over when unrooted, is that even possible? I have no idea. Unless I am an ***** and I just don't see it. I am on Kit Kat now and still don't see it. Where is it visible? In settings>apps>all apps?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
To throw another wrench into things this is my experience: I bought my LG G2 slightly used and on arrival soft bricked it because I tried to get an OTA and I did not know it was rooted. I unrooted the phone and installed the factory AT&T firmware. After that I was setting up the device and searching forums for answers and everyone is complaining about Carrier IQ. I cannot find it ANYWHERE on my device. Maybe it was removed during root and that carried over when unrooted, is that even possible? I have no idea. Unless I am an ***** and I just don't see it. I am on Kit Kat now and still don't see it. Where is it visible? In settings>apps>all apps?

Carrier IQ doesn't show up as an app. Lookout carrier IQ detector will tell you if it's on your G2.

Sent from my LG-G2

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Carrier IQ doesn't show up as an app. Lookout carrier IQ detector will tell you if it's on your G2.

Sent from my LG-G2
Lookout CarrierIQ Detector shows that CarrierIQ is present on the AT&T G2 with 4.4.2 (KitKat). However, there is now no way to disable it as before, when on 4.2.2 it was located in Apps>All Apps>Android System.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Lookout CarrierIQ Detector shows that CarrierIQ is present on the AT&T G2 with 4.4.2 (KitKat). However, there is now no way to disable it as before, when on 4.2.2 it was located in Apps>All Apps>Android System.

That is what is weird. I have the AT&T variant and when on 4.2.2 when I went to "Apps>All Apps>Android System" it was not there.

Edit:
I just tried that app and it says my phone does have Carrier IQ. No big surprise there. Anyway my battery life has been about the same, maybe even a little better with Kit Kat, so I am not overly worried about it.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

Just for an update, I happened to be in an ATT OPPS center (courier) and I asked. One of the techs said that even though your phone shows KitKat, it isn't. I was somehow stuck with the older version. He then checked and it showed the wopper of an update! CIQ is now gone. Apparently ATT had some kind of issue that is now resolved.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Just for an update, I happened to be in an ATT OPPS center (courier) and I asked. One of the techs said that even though your phone shows KitKat, it isn't. I was somehow stuck with the older version. He then checked and it showed the wopper of an update! CIQ is now gone. Apparently ATT had some kind of issue that is now resolved.

Really weird. So are you all updated finally?

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Really weird. So are you all updated finally?

Yup! And I have to say that my battery lasts much longer under certain situations. At night when I'm not using the phone and only get a few emails, the battery is reporting much less draw. 8 hours and I have 5%~ less!