T Mobile 4G no contract & Google Voice App outgoing calls?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Not yet. Although the number appears to be random, it seems to remain consistent for a given contact once assigned.

The method you described above also works for making telephone (without using the google voice app) in the exact same manner as it works for using the phone's stock messaging app. It works on my simple-messaging "dumb" phone that does not have google voice app on it. Following your explanation in your earlier post above, and using my "dumb" phone, once the random number is assigned to contacts then texts as well as telephone calls now display on caller ID as a google voice number to the receiving-phone. This very convenient, thanks for pointing it out to us.

Ole73

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Seeking clarification after reviewing thread.
1. I give out my Google Voice number and forward all calls to that number to my Verizon phone.
2. My Verizon phone, of course, has its own number so calls directly made to that number also come through.
3. I am very close to purchasing the Nexus 4 but want to clarify how well Google Voice integrates with T-mobile ... or other carriers (ideally on a prepaid plan).
4. My understanding from the thread is that I need to download the GrooveIP app to make Google Voice work with T-mobile.
5. Does the issue for item #4 apply to all carriers? Or, is this different for Spring since there is some integration between Sprint and Google Voice?
6. Finally, for anyone familiar with Sprint and Google Voice, can I just provide my existing Google Voice number or do I need to accept a Sprint number and then "mask" it as I currently do with my Verizon number?
Although this thread seems to be dead, I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
Ole

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
3. I am very close to purchasing the Nexus 4 but want to clarify how well Google Voice integrates with T-mobile ... or other carriers (ideally on a prepaid plan).
4. My understanding from the thread is that I need to download the GrooveIP app to make Google Voice work with T-mobile.
ck.

Number 3 - the only thing GV can't do on TMobile prepaid plans is act as your voicemail for calls to your TMobile number. Everything else works perfectly.
Number 4 - GrooveIP is only needed if you want to make calls using data instead of cell minutes. Only a concern if you have a plan with restricted minutes.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Seeking clarification after reviewing thread.
1. I give out my Google Voice number and forward all calls to that number to my Verizon phone.
2. My Verizon phone, of course, has its own number so calls directly made to that number also come through.
5. Does the issue for item #4 apply to all carriers? Or, is this different for Spring since there is some integration between Sprint and Google Voice?
6. Finally, for anyone familiar with Sprint and Google Voice, can I just provide my existing Google Voice number or do I need to accept a Sprint number and then "mask" it as I currently do with my Verizon number?
Although this thread seems to be dead, I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
Ole

You only need to mess around with GrooveIP (or other VoIP solution) if you're on a limited minute plan. It's a workaround to use data for calls instead of minutes.

I went through porting my 15 year old number away from Sprint to Google Voice in January. I did a ton of research to get set up.

Think of GV as a call forwarding service. If you give out that number you can have those calls forwarded where you want. The biggest drawback is GV doesn't support MMS - so no texting pictures. When I got my Nexus 4, people immediately started texting pictures so I ended up giving out my sim number which wasn't my intent. I use both numbers now, which isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

The biggest integration issue is voicemail. If you want all your voicemail (GV and sim) to go to GV voicemail you need conditional call forwarding. T-Mobile prepaid doesn't have conditional call forwarding. This is one of the reasons I went with Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO.) The postpaid side of T-Mobile does have conditional call forwarding, but Solavei offers more 4g data for the same price.

Here is how my setup works. If you call my sim or GV number my Nexus 4 rings, and the call goes to GV voicemail. The GV app is installed on my Nexus 4. When I place a call I can choose whether the call is made with my sim number, or using GV. Whether making or receiving calls, minutes are used. I check my voicemail with the GV app. There's nothing else in the way of integration.

Hopefully, that answers some questions. Let me know where I didn't make sense. (My husband says I should draw up a flowchart any time I try to explain it to him.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei