T-Mobile: Bye bye to Corporate discounts (update : new accounts only)

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I dont get the big deal. years ago with sprint when i was with on their 1500 everything plan, the corporate discount applied to every line, now only to the primary line, and now with the framily plan, it just applies to upgrades from 1 gb to 3 gb or unlimited data.

seems as though carriers are just shifting away from those thing since it has the potential to be abused.

If promotions are being abused, having them checked every 6 months or so, would take care of it. If this is all to make them look profitable, and get some CEO a big cushy bonus before Softbank buys them out, then ...

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hold on peeps look what Mr. Legere just tweeted. Looks like current customers can keep their discounts after all!
I admit... I was one of many blasting Mr.Legere over this fiasco on Twitter. Hehe...
2ygy8yzy.jpg

Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have updated the thread title to reflect the change in policy. Imo, it would be really bad for tmobile to impose this on existing customers, for the reason posted earlier. Glad tmobile updated their policy. Though they may be losing out on some people who are considering switching from att or Verizon because with discount, it could be about the same monthly premium.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh awesome update.. Everyone who signed up before February 3rd gets to keep their discount :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh awesome update.. Everyone who signed up before February 3rd gets to keep their discount :).

No kidding.... In a span of 2 days LTE finally lit up in my area and now we are getting to keep our corporate discounts. Wow
I feel like a happy new customer again

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No kidding.... In a span of 2 days LTE finally lit up in my area and now we are getting to keep our corporate discounts. Wow
I feel like a happy new customer again

I though you had LTE in your area previously?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
In return for the corporate discount, large pools of people were influenced to go to one company or another.
Not quite. Most large employers who have discount agreements with carriers have them with multiple carriers, meaning that their employees essentially face the same choice they would if they had no discounts for any carrier. Which means a given carrier gets no more or no fewer customers than they would otherwise. You would have one company were only allowed make a discount deal with one carrier.

What you're saying, is like me complaining about equipment being put in your part of the world, that won't ever benefit me personally, as I won't ever go there. Won't ever call there. Won't ever go on the net there.
Uhh what? What does that have to do with fairness for all the customers? Every customer pays for access to the entire network, so of course everyone should pay for it. Every customer doesn't have access to a corporate or government discount.

I imagine your indignation is equally against TMO paying for the ETFs of new customers, as that could certainly be a larger cut into their profits.
My argument has nothing to do with T-Mobile's profits. It has to do with treating all customers the same. The ETF is available to all customers - including, by the way, T-Mobile's own that are looking to switch from an old contract plan to a new Simple Choice plan.

This isn't a co-operative.
Precisely. Which is why customers need to be treated the same. We should pay the same for the same service.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not quite. Most large employers who have discount agreements with carriers have them with multiple carriers, meaning that their employees essentially face the same choice they would if they had no discounts for any carrier. Which means a given carrier gets no more or no fewer customers than they would otherwise. You would have one company were only allowed make a discount deal with one carrier.

Uhh what? What does that have to do with fairness for all the customers? Every customer pays for access to the entire network, so of course everyone should pay for it. Every customer doesn't have access to a corporate or government discount.

My argument has nothing to do with T-Mobile's profits. It has to do with treating all customers the same. The ETF is available to all customers - including, by the way, T-Mobile's own that are looking to switch from an old contract plan to a new Simple Choice plan.

Precisely. Which is why customers need to be treated the same. We should pay the same for the same service.

So question.. Do you have the unlimited data plan? If so were you grandfathered in on the 20 price?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I though you had LTE in your area previously?

My new house didn't have lte. I moved Into a Valley in East Honolulu. LTE use to end about 2 miles away from my new home. Actually lte first appeared around March 26 however, it was spotty off and on but as of the 31st rock solid.
qeny2e3y.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My new house didn't have lte. I moved Into a Valley in East Honolulu. LTE use to end about 2 miles away from my new home. Actually lte first appeared around March 26 however, it was spotty off and on but as of the 31st rock solid.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/03/qeny2e3y.jpg

Very nice :).

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
So question.. Do you have the unlimited data plan? If so were you grandfathered in on the 20 price?
No, I do not and I was not. None of this affects me personally, actually. I have the prepaid $30 plan with 100 minutes of talk, unlimited text and 5GB high speed data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No, I do not and I was not. None of this affects me personally, actually. I have the prepaid $30 plan with 100 minutes of talk, unlimited text and 5GB high speed data.

Ah you already have a stellar discount.. No wonder you can't have a corporate one :). Not sure where you count your paying that 30 dollars as you subsidizing the price for other people's discounts though...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Precisely. Which is why customers need to be treated the same. We should pay the same for the same

That just isn't how businesses work. For example, Samsung will sell a s4 to Verizon for around $450 or so, but Verizon would go around and sell it for $650.
Now buying it directly from Samsung would still cost $650.

Those who buy more typically get larger discounts. This is normal practice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That just isn't how businesses work. For example, Samsung will sell a s4 to Verizon for around $450 or so, but Verizon would go around and sell it for $650.
Now buying it directly from Samsung would still cost $650.

I agree with dpham.. Larger quantity sales usually get the better deal. Just look at BJ / Sam's Club stores.. Etc. Etc.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with dpham.. Larger quantity sales usually get the better deal. Just look at BJ / Sam's Club stores.. Etc. Etc.

And if you want a cell phone manufacturer that gives the least discounts to carriers, then going with Apple. Carriers complain about their high cost.

Also keep in mind Costco and Sam's Club are generally resellers. Meaning that they buy products at a substantially lower price, then resell it. The cost of warehouses and employees is a lot.

I used to work for a manufacturer, and whenever they bought something, they would usually resell it at 3x the cost to the end user, without even modifying the product.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Ah you already have a stellar discount.. No wonder you can't have a corporate one :). Not sure where you count your paying that 30 dollars as you subsidizing the price for other people's discounts though...
First of all, that's not a discount. The plan costs $30 every 30 days. That's what it costs. For anyone. I don't have to part of any big corporation to get that rate. It's an inexpensive plan, but not a discounted one.

Whenever there is a reduced rate available to some customers (based on where they work, for example), but not to all customers equally, then all other customers who are on a plan without a discount subsidize customers who are on plans with discounts.

I am not opposed to the concept of bulk discounts. Except in this case, there is no guarantee of bulk purchase. As I pointed out before, most of these employers have discount agreements with ALL 4 national carriers, which means there is no added incentive to choose T-Mobile than if they didn't have the discount with any of the carriers. Because of this, this does NOT qualify as a bulk purchase.

At the time these discounts were conceived, not everyone had a cell phone. That key fact has changed. When it started, it was a way of inducing people to get into the mobile market at all. Today, that's no longer the case. With or without a discount, most everyone is going to get a mobile plan. At that point, the only justification for these discounts is bulk purchase, which, as I outlined above, this is not.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
First of all, that's not a discount. The plan costs $30 every 30 days. That's what it costs. For anyone. I don't have to part of any big corporation to get that rate. It's an inexpensive plan, but not a discounted one.

Whenever there is a reduced rate available to some customers (based on where they work, for example), but not to all customers equally, then all other customers who are on a plan without a discount subsidize customers who are on plans with discounts.

I am not opposed to the concept of bulk discounts. Except in this case, there is no guarantee of bulk purchase. As I pointed out before, most of these employers have discount agreements with ALL 4 national carriers, which means there is no added incentive to choose T-Mobile than if they didn't have the discount with any of the carriers. Because of this, this does NOT qualify as a bulk purchase.

At the time these discounts were conceived, not everyone had a cell phone. That key fact has changed. When it started, it was a way of inducing people to get into the mobile market at all. Today, that's no longer the case. With or without a discount, most everyone is going to get a mobile plan. At that point, the only justification for these discounts is bulk purchase, which, as I outlined above, this is not.

Regardless you were getting all angry about subsidizing the cost for people yet you only pay 30 dollars so you definitely aren't subsidizing anything.

I have no issues with people getting a few bucks knocked off their bills if their work has a deal. Anything to help people pay less I am all for. Some work plans just have better deals for things versus others.. Not every company and place can have everything the same.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe