T-Mobile to build out of new 700MHz and 1900MHz LTE Band 12 A-Block networks.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
FOR THE RECORD I Don't know what I am talking about with spectrum frequency even after reading a lot on this new A-block, band 12 LTE for T-Mo. I have a Nexus 5 and Metro PCS that uses the parent T-Mobile towers but would move over to T-Mo if it worked better. My home and where I hang out is in the center of a weak area for T-Mobile's Data only (voice is good) with a lot of service towers just out of range for the current service. I think my next phone MUST have A-block, band 12 LTE. I drink at a bar with a friend that owns a Cell Tower upgrade company and he told me in South Florida they are converting three Metro CDMA towers a week to T-Mo new Ericsson equipment.

T-Mobile is building it's new 4G base station equipment for the A-block, band 12 LTE network currently in its infancy. From what I have read this A-Block was where TV Channel 51 is based and the FCC is telling all Channel 51 in the nation to move over the next few years or go out of business. This 700MHz due to physics will give longer distant and better reception that will penetrate concrete and steel building better due to the lower 700MHz frequency than what TM is using now. It is T-Mobile's future as they move to VoLTE. Problem is there are few phones that support A-block, band 12 LTE and they are just starting to come out since this was a TV frequency last year. So far, the Samsung Galaxy Avant and ZTE ZMAX are the two compatible devices on sale. However the Sony Xperia Z3 and Galaxy Note 4 have just joined the compatible devices for A-block, band 12 LTE. Then there are the tablets include the Galaxy Tab 4 and Galaxy Tab S 10.5.

There’s some confusion over the new Moto X. One model – number XT1092 – is compatible with all of T-Mobile’s bands, including band 12, 700MHz A-block. But the model Motorola’s currently selling unlocked with a T-Mo SIM isn’t that model. And it’s not band 12 compatible

Does anyone have any news if other phone manufactures other than Samsung and ZTE are going to start supporting A-block, band 12 LTE? The new iPhone 6 doesn't support this T-Mo band but it could be a software upgrade. I have a kid that has a old Metro PCS CDMA phone that TM is going to kill soon that needs get a new phone. Also, I will get a new phone if it will give me better reception.

Map of T-Mobile’s 700MHz spectrum

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
FOR THE RECORD I Don't know what I am talking about with spectrum frequency even after reading a lot on this new A-block, band 12 LTE. I have a Nexus 5 and Metro PCS that uses the parent T-Mobile towers. I am in the center of a weak area for T-Mobile with a lot of service towers just out of range for the current service. I think my next phone MUST have A-block, band 12 LTE.

T-Mobile is building it's new 4G base station equipment for the A-block, band 12 LTE network currently in its infancy. From what I have read this A-Block was where TV Channel 51 is based and the FCC is telling all Channel 51 in the nation to move over the next few years or go out of business. This 700MHz due to physics will give longer distant and better reception that will penetrate concrete and steel building better due to the lower 700MHz frequency than what TM is using now. It is T-Mobile's future as they move to VoLTE. Problem is there are few phones that support A-block, band 12 LTE and they are just starting to come out. So far, the Samsung Galaxy Avant and ZTE ZMAX are the two compatible devices on sale. However the Sony Xperia Z3 and Galaxy Note 4 have just joined the compatible devices for A-block, band 12 LTE. Then there are the tablets include the Galaxy Tab 4 and Galaxy Tab S 10.5.

There’s some confusion over the new Moto X. One model – number XT1092 – is compatible with all of T-Mobile’s bands, including band 12, 700MHz A-block. But the model Motorola’s currently selling unlocked with a T-Mo SIM isn’t that model. And it’s not band 12 compatible

Does anyone have any news if other phone manufactures other than Samsung and ZTE are going to start supporting A-block, band 12 LTE? The new iPhone 6 doesn't support this TM band but it could be a software upgrade. I have a kid that has a old Metro PCS CDMA phone that TM is going to kill soon that needs a new phone and I will get a new phone if it will give me better reception.

Map of T-Mobile’s 700MHz spectrum
I don't think t-mobile owns that block nationwide though...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think t-mobile owns that block nationwide though...

Maybe not now but they are buying tons more even now but they still have other bands that make it nation wide. Point is where I live they have Band 12 A-Block and T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray said;

That 700MHz spectrum will also improve T-Mobile's in-building coverage. Ray said T-Mobile will be selling a half-dozen 700MHz (Band 12) capable phones by the end of the year, and that "before the end of the quarter, there will be a big expansion of our LTE footprint."

T-Mobile looks to scoop up more 700 MHz spectrum from Triad

T-Mobile looks to score 700 MHz spectrum from Frontier, Kurian Sept 2014

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This is confusing that T-Mobile is now selling Moto X that will be replaced with a new version soon that T-Mo is testing that is Band 12 compatible.

New Moto X announced, model XT1092 is band 12 compatible

Now it sounds like there is a new Moto X (2nd Gen) coming out called the “Pure Edition” arrives without carrier bloatware, does not have carrier branding, has an unlockable bootloader (for the tinkerers in the building), and will receive updates before any other Moto X (2nd gen) variant because it’s not tied to a carrier and Motorola can do with it as they please.

Moto X “Pure Edition” Works on Both AT&T and T-Mobile LTE

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Also there's a reason why Verizon and AT&T didn't want it

AT&T changed their mind after T-Mobile and a few other smaller carriers ( U.S. Cellular) was going to sue the FCC over selling these licenses for Band 12 Spectrum claiming AT&T and Verizon were conspiring in fraudulent and industry monopolizing tactics to eliminate phone devices from being manufactured that supported Band 12 lower block which was moving towards Anti-Trust Cases in court. The FCC busted AT&T and Verizon over the heads to make them play nice since the Government didn't want to refund all the billions of $$$ in cell phone spectrum they had sold. AT&T and Verizon were attempting to limit T-Mo more valuable 700MHz bands so that they couldn't undercut AT&T and Verizon higher prices that rings of Price Fixing.

In a blog post from Joan Marsh, the company's [AT&T] vice president of federal regulatory, she said that the company "has committed to investing considerable time and resources to the modification of its 700 MHz LTE network through the implementation of a newly-standardized software feature. That effort will allow AT&T's network to support Band 12 capable devices." She also said the carrier will work with chipset partners and OEMs to add Band Class 12-capable devices to its portfolio.

The about-face by AT&T is also a big win for Acting FCC Chairwoman Mignon Clyburn. Since March 2012, the FCC has been pondering a proposed rulemaking that would promote interoperability in the Lower 700 MHz band, and the issue has been kicked around in the wireless industry for almost four years.

In a statement, Clyburn said: "After many frustrating years, wireless carriers have finally reached a voluntary industry solution that will resolve the lack of interoperability in the Lower 700 MHz band in the most efficient manner. This is a big win for consumers, especially in rural areas, who will see more competition and more choices."

AT&T does an about-face, will support 700 MHz interoperability

AT&T promises to modify LTE network to Band Class 12, will work with chipset companies to add Band Class 12 to devices

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201