Telegram delete synced contacts

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

If I am not wrong I think any friend in of my phone contacts that login to telegram I will see something like this "John joined Telegram" appear in my telegram, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/O0DzP3u.png

Assume my name is John and I login to telegram today.

1. Will [Delete Synced Contacts] remove [John joined Telegram] message that appeared in my friend phone (friend number is in my phone contacts)?

2. How to prevent "John joined Telegram" message from appearing in my friend phone (friend number is in my phone contacts)?

3. What does [Delete Synced Contacts] in telegram do?

4. Does this "John joined Telegram" reappear in my friend phone (friend number is in my phone contacts) everytime i logout and relogin telegram?

5. Does pressing [Delete Synced Contacts] delete my existing added friend contact and chat history seen in my telegram?

6. Does pressing [Delete Synced Contacts] delete "John joined Telegram" that is already in my friend phone?

Thanks
-----
I saw some guides on Delete Synced Contacts
https://www.howtogeek.com/711226/how-to-use-telegram-without-sharing-your-contacts/
https://www.techmesto.com/whatsapp-adds-emoji-reactions-support-for-messages-how-to-use/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfRTCWXN1Bo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceUiS7FIhw

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a little trouble following your post because of the way you've phrased things but I think I understand.

To answer the first two questions, the app will tell you when someone you have in your contacts joins the app if you've shared your contacts with the app. So let's go to your example, you 'John' get the app but choose not to share your contacts, you will get no notifications of any of your contacts joining the app but this does not stop other people with you saved in their contacts from getting a notification that you have joined. They will still know, see and will get a notification of anyone that joins from their contacts. It doesn't matter if you 'John' share your contacts or not, this notice is based on your number being added to the app and them having shared that number from their contacts. If you share your contacts with the app, you will get a notice of your contacts that have the app and then subsequent notifications when people from your contacts join the app.

Delete synced contacts should remove the contacts you've shared and stop associating them with your account. It won't stop others with your number stored as a contact from getting a 'John has just joined' Notification it just stops you from getting notifications when your contacts join.

Deleting your contacts from the app shouldn't remove any conversation threads you've already participated in or remove any people you've added to the app. It will stop you from getting notifications when your contacts join and it may remove notifications about contacts that you received but never initiated a conversation with if you haven't already deleted the notice.

And no nothing you do is going to take back a notice sent to someone else. The only way I could imagine this would be if you quit and deleted your account. Even at that I picture it being more like another Messenger service's notifications where when someone quits or unfriends you and the message remains but the name changes to something generic or is otherwise marked or greyed out because you can no longer actually connect with this person.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Block the contact in telegram and that should solve it. Even if they get a notification that you joined before you block them it will look like you didn't join because they won't be able to see you or interact with you.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Block the contact in telegram and that should solve it. Even if they get a notification that you joined before you block them it will look like you didn't join because they won't be able to see you or interact with you.

My mind was racing ahead reading this one and thought you were going to say that if you block them after joining it will remove the message that you joined the way other social media platforms hide you from people you block. If I was a social media socialite this might have occurred to me, LOL.

It's unclear why the OP wants to prevent this message from going out but avoidance seems the most likely. I just hadn't considered the blocking aspect.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
My mind was racing ahead reading this one and thought you were going to say that if you block them after joining it will remove the message that you joined the way other social media platforms hide you from people you block. If I was a social media socialite this might have occurred to me, LOL.

It's unclear why the OP wants to prevent this message from going out but avoidance seems the most likely. I just hadn't considered the blocking aspect.

I figured thats the best he could do shy of altering his friends phone, but that's not ideal lol

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all answers. Let me write my questions again. I try to be clearer.

Example: My name is John, I installed telegram and login, I do not want the people in my contact list to get the [John joined Telegram] message. I am fine with receiving notification about abc/xyz contact has joined telegram. I do not want to block anyone. I do not want my contacts to know I am using telegram (will add contact in telegram manually if I want to). I do not want to delete any contact in my google contacts (samsung contacts app).

If I follow these steps in this screenshot (disable [Sync Contacts] and tap [Delete Synced Contacts]) RZtq925.png
48floFH.png
(source https://www.howtogeek.com/711226/how-to-use-telegram-without-sharing-your-contacts/ )

QA) I have existing contact that I have chat history with (i added him (or he added me) sometime ago), I do not want to delete them or unfriend him, if I tap [Delete Synced Contacts] will I delete the chat history or unfriend the contact?

QB) If I follow the screenshot and then logout and login telegram, will my contacts receive [John joined Telegram] message?

For info, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceUiS7FIhw do talk about [Delete Synced Contacts] but I do not really understand so I am asking here.

Thanks

Attachments

• C63IbCq.png
    C63IbCq.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
The notification your friend will get has nothing to do with your synced contacts. If his contacts in his phone are synced with telegram then telegram will notify him about his contact joining telegram once you use your telephone number to log in because you are one of his contacts. If he has you in his telegram synced contacts then he will get notified about you joining. If he doesn't have contacts uploaded to telegram then he won't get a notification about a contact joining because telegram wouldn't know who his contacts are. When you log into telegram it basically becomes your own personal assistant and works for you not anybody else. Does that make sense? Lol

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The notification your friend will get has nothing to do with your synced contacts. If his contacts in his phone are synced with telegram then telegram will notify him about his contact joining telegram once you use your telephone number to log in because you are one of his contacts. If he has you in his telegram synced contacts then he will get notified about you joining. If he doesn't have contacts uploaded to telegram then he won't get a notification about a contact joining because telegram wouldn't know who his contacts are. When you log into telegram it basically becomes your own personal assistant and works for you not anybody else. Does that make sense? Lol

Ok make sense. So it means that anyone that has me in his telegram synced contacts then he will get notified about me joining, I have no way of preventing other people from receiving [John joined Telegram] message whenever I login to Telegram.

Does a new [John joined Telegram] notification message reappear inside my friend phone every time I logout and login Telegram? Or only the first time I login Telegram?

Can you answer QA QB?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Ok make sense. So it means that anyone that has me in his telegram synced contacts then he will get notified about you joining, I have no way of preventing other people from receiving [John joined Telegram] message whenever I login to Telegram.

Does a new [John joined Telegram] notification message reappear inside my friend phone every time I logout and login Telegram? Or only the first time I login Telegram?

Can you answer QA QB?

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure if he would get a notification every time you log out and log in. Part of me wants to say yes, but part of me wants to say no lol. I think more no though because when you log out telegrams data is still on your phone so when you log back in it's more just logging back in rather than joining after a a fresh install.