Tether on a Stock Non-Rooted Moto X!

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Works on KitKat too!

I was curious if my old tether app would work and turns it does. EasyTether doesn't do WiFi but it does do USB and Bluetooth tethering. I prefer USB tethering over WiFi because WiFi forces both data and WiFi radios to be constantly running and will burn up your battery really quick. It will also make your phone run hot so that it may prevent it from properly charging. I've never had those problems using USB tethering, it will run all day. Plus you can easily setup your laptop to be a WiFi hotspot instead.

EasyTether comes in a free (Lite) version as well as the Pro version. The Lite version works with everything but secure sites or protocols. No https or VPN. Works with Windows XP all the way to 8.1, Mac OS X, Linux and Android 4.x Tablets.

Instructions:
  1. Download the version you're interested in. I had bought the Pro version from the Amazon Appstore because I had problems using Google Play due to it claiming "This app is incompatible with all of your devices". You can also buy direct from the developer here, or try the Free version first here.
  2. Follow the easy setup guide and make sure you enable debugging mode.
  3. Download and install the EasyTether drivers for your PC here.
  4. You're not done yet, you'll have to download and install the Motorola USB drivers located here.

That's it, Enjoy!

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
PDA net USB tether is working on non-rooted Moto X's, too. And ITA about the phone getting hot when you WiFi tether as well as it killing the battery.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus you can easily setup your laptop to be a WiFi hotspot instead.
How do you do that?

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I assume you're using a carrier locked model. The stock tethering options work fine for me on my Developer Edition on AT&T.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I assume you're using a carrier locked model. The stock tethering options work fine for me on my Developer Edition on AT&T.
On Verizon if you have unlimited data, they block the stock tethering options. And with the KitKat update, the exploits the standard apps like PDA net/FoxFi used were patched for WiFi tether although you can still use USB tether.

So this thread is directed toward us Verizon unlimited data plan Moto X owners.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnsd84