tethering nexus 4g sprint

jabco

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Last I tried in July I could tether My Nex 3 4g shows I am tethering, my pc picks up the hotspot but can not connect. I read somewhere 2.3.5 update caused this to happen. Is there a fix

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: tethering nex s 4g sprint

I just went through that myself, jabco.

Just so you know (because the information available isn't clear on it), you have to unlock the Nexus to root it, and in the process, you have to wipe the phone. This is a built-in security precaution so people can't get at your information by unlocking it if you have it password protected.

So, be sure you read up, and also be sure to back up the contents of your SD card.

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
If u root and wanna keep stock rom. But fix wireless tethering u can through rom manager in downloads under peter roms. Theres a fix

Reactions: kohn

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded this "tethering widget" by alek chmyr sprint and my tethering is working again. I am stock, non-rooted. Two updates ago, the build blocked my phone from tethering, now with this widget - it seems to be working again - but I have no idea if I will get a bill from Sprint for this. Anyone know? Maybe 2.3.7 unlocked the tethering again and the this is just the first time that I have tried since the update earlier this week... I really don't know.

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you just turn it on or did you actually connect something to it?

Downloaded the widget for free from Amazon App Store. Put the widget on the same screen as my other quick buttons (wifi, bluetooth, etc..) - it looks just like the stock ones. Hit the wifi icon and I got the blue tethering in the top left corner. Went to my laptop, connected to the phone. It works perfectly. It does not seem to support secure sites on the laptop (much like easy tether lite) but without a doubt, I am running my laptop from my Nexus S 4G with tethering. I did not have to go to Sprint and turn it on, it just worked. When I go into my phone, the tethering box was checked - but in the past when it was checked, it would tell me that I needed to contact Sprint to activate the tethering feature - not anymore.

I just got the OTA for 2.3.7 a couple of days ago and honestly had not tried the stock tether since. So it could be that 2.3.7 enabled the tethering to work again (on the honor system) or it could be that the widget somehow finds a way around the Sprint block that started with the update in August or so. Really not sure - just know that it is working on a stock, non-rooted Nexus S4G again... hopefully I don't get a bill for it because I do not plan on using it very much, it is just nice to know that it is there in case of emergency. Would be interested to hear if anyone else is having the same luck/experience.

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
And just like that - it is no longer working. I guess that it took a few minutes for Sprint to check my account and see if I had signed up for it. I am going to test the USB feature and see if that will work but I doubt it.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
And just like that - it is no longer working. I guess that it took a few minutes for Sprint to check my account and see if I had signed up for it. I am going to test the USB feature and see if that will work but I doubt it.

I don't think that is how it works, considering tethering has been blocked for two updates now.

If you are rooted you can install Tethering Fix that can be found within ROM manager under Peter Alfonso's ROM's (at the bottom). That allows tethering, if rooted.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Is there a difference btwn tethering when rooted as to tethering from the hotspot feature built into the OS?

Yes, when using the Wireless tether app, in my experience, slower and doesnt work great with my tablet. When running it through built into the OS it works great. Using P Alfonso's hack in Rom manager works great!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jezer29

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, when using the Wireless tether app, in my experience, slower and doesnt work great with my tablet. When running it through built into the OS it works great. Using P Alfonso's hack in Rom manager works great!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Cool.. But both ways accord data charges right?

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Cool.. But both ways accord data charges right?

Been tethering for a few years without plan, never go over 5 gbs on my Data (have unlimited), never been charged. I believe bits are bits, and Sprint doesn't know as long as you used the tether fix. I only tether to my Tablet, which is Android, so I'm really only using as much as a phone would. I tether to my laptop for work emergencies.