The horrible Marshmallow Update for S5 - Bug on top of BUGS

chirantha7777

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I note the following issues in the Marshmallow update SM-G900FD

1. Call recording - Android API access is completely broken normall it would record in mode 2 but it doesn't work anymore. The following Call Recorders did work they are (Total Recall, Boldbeast Call Recorder) as they use a different approach. I payed for both. But actually both are having hit and miss issues. Sometimes the call recordings are perfect, sometimes they are missing the first 3-7 seconds. Sometimes call recording fail and it doesn't fix itself for a duration of time. Boldbeast contacted me and informed me that the reason behind it is that there is an issue in the ROM that causes the call recording to fail randomly. :-$

2. System Restarts - I'm in a call for a long duration and after the call the Android OS is asking me for my backup password saying that the System just restarted while I was on the call. WTD! :confused:

3. System Lockup during Redials - I can confirm that it has nothing to do with call recording but it seems the UI becomes unresponsive sometimes when the phone is starting a call. This is a horrible when the phone is redialing a busy number. For example, my friend was in a class and he was busying my call and I just kept ringing him back. At my end. the UI was frozen and I couldn't stop the phone from redialing. :-

4. No access to band selection (Service mode) - I live in Sri Lanka, so even in populated cities the coverage is low, I used to put the phone on 3G/4G only mode through the hidden menu via *#0011# because sometimes the stupid thing reverts to 2G. Now its no longer possible. :'(

5. Low Battery life and No Doze - I have only noticed a decrease in battery life. Doze doesn't seem to be kicking in. :(

6. Slow charging - In Marshmallow power saving mode gets disabled when the phone is charging causing slow charging because in Lollipop the Power saving mode existed even while charging contributing to a faster charge. :mad:

7. Smart Pause icon - It remains half enabled even when Smart Pause is completely off. :eek:

8. Ugly app drawer - Doesn't look classy or professional. It looks like more Cartoon like. Lollipop was perfect. O:)

9. Issues moving apps to SD Card - Many of the Apps that were in the SD before the upgrade was reported to be in internal storage (In reality it wasn't). When I told to move it to SD the whole phone crashed and restarted and the App was found corrupted. Had a tough time trying to uninstall it afterwards. :-X

10. File type association, no way to reset - I opened a file in the File Manager through the video player which was not able to play it. Now I it opens it by default through video player and this selection is not even listed in the default applications area. I find no way to undo or ask another app such as VLC to open it.

Considering these issues, I decided to the downgrade to Lollipop today, from the 17th of May I tried to LIVE with Marshmallow but its a horrible update for the S5 which I think Samsung intends to make users buy the S7 making them fed up with the S5. The only issue Lollipop had was the System Sound volume issue (high from time to time) and Calls not ending even when told (the phone doesn't stop calls on redial and sometimes the phone continues the call without your knowledge).

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Since there is no firmware specific to Sri Lanka, which of the 14 Duos, G900FD, stock Samsung firmwares are you running on your phone? Download Phone INFO ★Samsung★, free from the Play Store, and post your Product Code details.

chirantha7777

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Since there is no firmware specific to Sri Lanka, which of the 14 Duos, G900FD, stock Samsung firmwares are you running on your phone? Download Phone INFO ★Samsung★, free from the Play Store, and post your Product Code details.

I have already downgraded. The 6.0.1 firmware I had in my phone was PDA : G900FDXXU1CPE1 and CSC G900FDOJV1CPE1

Firmware for Samsung SM-G900FD - SamMobile

My CSC Country was UAE so I downgraded to 5.0 firmware intended for UAE.
Product Code Shown now is SM-G900FZKVXSG

Also this is what Boldbeast Call Recorder team wrote to me about my complaint

Hi,

1. Cannot record calls sometimes.

What's the problem?
There is a bug inside the ROM of your phone - the built-in MediaServer works unstable.

How do we know it?
We checked your log files and several other user's log files, so we know it.

How to know it's true?
No matter what call recorder you are using, the result is the same - sometimes the ROM fails to record calls.

What does Boldbeast Recorder do when the ROM fails to record calls?
When the ROM fails to record calls Boldbeast Recorder tries at most 20 times to restart recording, if it still fails the app gives up.

How to fix the problem?
Third-party apps can't fix it. Users have to wait the manufacturer to fix it in future ROM updates.

DocDouglas

May 30, 2016
Visit site
I've facing some problems too... Do you guys think it's worth to reflash the MM ROM (official, via Kies maybe?)?

Since the update rolled just about now, probably how long 'till Samsung launch a new patch?

abk16

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
As mentioned on this other thread:
I found 1 that works but it does not pop up with a notification of new call recording, If you are interested try Call Recorder - ACR by NLL but if you come across another app please let me know.
I can confirm this app seems to work with my SM-G900F with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update. Also, the free version has decent enough features to be usable without having to buy the full. I have yet to reliably test it, but it seems alright so far.

Jorg10

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I note the following issues in the Marshmallow update SM-G900FD

1. Call recording - Android API access is completely broken normall it would record in mode 2 but it doesn't work anymore. The following Call Recorders did work they are (Total Recall, Boldbeast Call Recorder) as they use a different approach. I payed for both. But actually both are having hit and miss issues. Sometimes the call recordings are perfect, sometimes they are missing the first 3-7 seconds. Sometimes call recording fail and it doesn't fix itself for a duration of time. Boldbeast contacted me and informed me that the reason behind it is that there is an issue in the ROM that causes the call recording to fail randomly. :-$

2. System Restarts - I'm in a call for a long duration and after the call the Android OS is asking me for my backup password saying that the System just restarted while I was on the call. WTD! :confused:

3. System Lockup during Redials - I can confirm that it has nothing to do with call recording but it seems the UI becomes unresponsive sometimes when the phone is starting a call. This is a horrible when the phone is redialing a busy number. For example, my friend was in a class and he was busying my call and I just kept ringing him back. At my end. the UI was frozen and I couldn't stop the phone from redialing. :-

4. No access to band selection (Service mode) - I live in Sri Lanka, so even in populated cities the coverage is low, I used to put the phone on 3G/4G only mode through the hidden menu via *#0011# because sometimes the stupid thing reverts to 2G. Now its no longer possible. :'(

5. Low Battery life and No Doze - I have only noticed a decrease in battery life. Doze doesn't seem to be kicking in. :(

6. Slow charging - In Marshmallow power saving mode gets disabled when the phone is charging causing slow charging because in Lollipop the Power saving mode existed even while charging contributing to a faster charge. :mad:

7. Smart Pause icon - It remains half enabled even when Smart Pause is completely off. :eek:

8. Ugly app drawer - Doesn't look classy or professional. It looks like more Cartoon like. Lollipop was perfect. O:)

9. Issues moving apps to SD Card - Many of the Apps that were in the SD before the upgrade was reported to be in internal storage (In reality it wasn't). When I told to move it to SD the whole phone crashed and restarted and the App was found corrupted. Had a tough time trying to uninstall it afterwards. :-X

10. File type association, no way to reset - I opened a file in the File Manager through the video player which was not able to play it. Now I it opens it by default through video player and this selection is not even listed in the default applications area. I find no way to undo or ask another app such as VLC to open it.

Considering these issues, I decided to the downgrade to Lollipop today, from the 17th of May I tried to LIVE with Marshmallow but its a horrible update for the S5 which I think Samsung intends to make users buy the S7 making them fed up with the S5. The only issue Lollipop had was the System Sound volume issue (high from time to time) and Calls not ending even when told (the phone doesn't stop calls on redial and sometimes the phone continues the call without your knowledge).

I have a S5 duos SM G900MD. Im in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. When i just updated to Marshmallow it was awesome. The battery life get better and everything was faster and fluid. However, after six days from the uptade, last saturday 08/13, it reboot 3 times in a roll and showed the screen "reistaling app 1 of xxx".

Men, it got ****. Battery life is worse, everything is slower and a lot of instability. I compared it with my spare fone, a S4 4.4 kitkat (i prefer it as the s4 updte lollipop got much worse), and almost everything is slower on the S5 marshmallow. SHAME!

I ll try a factory reset to solve. I hope. Im very sad.. Hope samsung fix that quickly. ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorg10

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
So, i did the factory reset. Got a litle bit better but still slower than my kitkat s4. Except for the camera and focusing...

Its a shame. Big one... hope the samsung fix that as quiqly as possible...

Ps. Its seems like a lancher interface has been instaled... same lags and slow...

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe