The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surface?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but one can't do that [charging/licensing by device] in the google play store? isnt that the trade off? google gives a Dev acess the a large potential customer base but in turn the Apps are linked to user accounts not devices.

I am fairly sure a scummy developer CAN do it per device through the dreadful "IAP" concept (In-App-Purchase), which is perfectly allowable in the Google Play environment.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ive had the Nexus 10 since it came out. I can honestly say that everything thing I've put this tab through, it has handled better than any other tab Ive owned. I have an iPad 4 and even though it does have some cool apps, it still doesnt quite do what I want it to do. The nexus 10 with 4.3 is even better and smoother than when I bought it mainly because I bought chromecast haha. It's going on a year old now, but I still think the Nexus 10 is one of the top tablets out especially for the price I paid for such top tier specs.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I am fairly sure a scummy developer CAN do it per device through the dreadful "IAP" concept (In-App-Purchase), which is perfectly allowable in the Google Play environment.

Can you imagine that concept applied to another field?? Like a television? Sony gives you a box for free but you must pay $400 to open it. Once you do you can only use it at the address you opened it at. If you move to another location, too bad!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Can you imagine that concept applied to another field?? Like a television? Sony gives you a box for free but you must pay $400 to open it. Once you do you can only use it at the address you opened it at. If you move to another location, too bad!

But this is already happening. Product after product is now being designed as a "service", trying to guarantee the seller a continuous stream of income for no reason. Want one of a zillion examples? How about the Zeno which is a acne fighting device. It is nothing but a temperature controlled "heater." Instead of paying once for this device, they design it with a replaceable tip that has a chip it in that will allow only X number of uses and then you have to buy another one. It is 100% artificial. The tip never actually wears out. SCUMMY.

Try to buy a decent alarm system that can just call your own phone or pager without a service.
Buy a GPS and have it HARD CODED to nag you every 4th time you use it that your map is out of date and to buy an upgrade.
List goes on and on....

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've tried friends iPads and I have to say I wouldn't trade my Nexus 10. I've never had a problem with mine and it does everything I need. I like the fact that I'm not locked into Apples way of doing things, like being able to install flash player, etc etc. I'm not overly enthused about Microsoft's tablets either. When a new Nexus 10 comes out I will definitely be giving it a hard look.

Richard Rockers

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I moved from a tired Gen1 Ipad to a Nexus 10 around 8 months ago. At first I had challenges getting use to the N10, but once I got use to it there was no turning back.

The small challenges I have faced are that some of the television shows I purchased from Itunes are not available on Goggle Play (smithsonian channel stuff). Just now I am listening to a book via the Audible app (latest version of Android - 4.3 installed) and there are three persistent notifications in the notification bar due to issues between the app and the new version of software.

However, when my non-geek wife was looking for a pad, I pointed her to an Ipad Mini. For her the simplicity / walled garden of the Ipad was the best choice. For me it would have been like going back to jail. If she has a problem with the Ipad she can walk into the Apple store, something that the Google brand does not offer.

IMO the "best device" is different from person to person. If you want simple with support and few choices - go with an Ipad. If you want more control and a thousand ways to customize your experience - go with an Android device.

terrysnexus

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have had my N10 for a few months and the only, and fairly serious problem is the poor microphone. I use Skype a lot and it is so bad I use my laptop instead of the N10 whenever possible. This appears to be a common problem, particularly among Hangout users, so I am hopeful it will be fixed eventually. I tend to think the iPad is a somewhat superior tablet but I do not want to put up with the Apple ecosystem. I love the abilty to plug the N10 into my laptop and drag and drop files etc. Not being a gamer, Apps are not an issue. All those that I need are available and I get the impression that there are more free ones. The battery life is a bit less than I expected but not a game changer. I would advise anyone without my needs and preferences to buy an iPad.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had my N10 for a few months and the only, and fairly serious problem is the poor microphone. I use Skype a lot and it is so bad I use my laptop instead of the N10 whenever possible. This appears to be a common problem, particularly among Hangout users, so I am hopeful it will be fixed eventually. I tend to think the iPad is a somewhat superior tablet but I do not want to put up with the Apple ecosystem. I love the abilty to plug the N10 into my laptop and drag and drop files etc. Not being a gamer, Apps are not an issue. All those that I need are available and I get the impression that there are more free ones. The battery life is a bit less than I expected but not a game changer. I would advise anyone without my needs and preferences to buy an iPad.

Do you have your N10 in a case? I seem to recall a couple of User's posted that their cases were responsible for the problem with the microphone.

terrysnexus

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes my Nexus is in a cover but the microphone holes seem to be clear. In the meantime I have just done a factory reset blocking the reload of backed up apps and settings and the microphone is working quite well. I'll now slowly reintroduce apps and settings and try to pick up where the problem recommences. Fingers crossed this will work.