The OnePlus 2 will not receive an official Nougat update, confirmed by OnePlus

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, in a bit of disappointing news for OnePlus 2 owners deciding to stick with the stock version of the software on their device or for ROM developers looking for new pieces of source code to build new custom firmware on, OnePlus has confirmed to Android Authority that the OnePlus 2 will not be receiving an official OxygenOS update to Android 7.0 Nougat.

This is kind of a startle to some as in a Q&A last year, a rep mentioned that the OnePlus 2 will get the update.

OnePlus said that despite not pushing out the update, they are "happy" about what they've done with software and that the reasoning for the lack of an update was due to the lack of a proper software infrastructure team at the time of the OP2's launch.

What do you guys think of this? Personally, I think this is pure lamesauce. 2015 flagships have already received their respective Nougat updates and while the OnePlus 2 can be considered a mid-priced device due to its $329 - $389 pricetag, its hardware still makes it the flagship of OnePlus at the time. Adding insult to injury is how OnePlus promised 2 years of support previously. With support for the OP2 pretty much ending on Marshmallow and the inconsistent release of security patches, this really is quite a mess.

Another thing is that on the aforementioned Q&A, the rep actually said clearly that the update is in fact coming. While it is not a direct promise, it does somewhat count in a way, which brings me to say this;

Please do not promise stuff you can't deliver.

With that out of the way, if you own a OnePlus 2 and have no desire to upgrade to a OnePlus 3T or 5, the XDA forums will have a Nougat firmware to flash, although note that because they're based on the Marshmallow kernel, full stability and other stuff like camera quality can't be guaranteed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Agree with pure lamesauce. Not even about the promise, this is their 2015 "flagship" that was advertised with "never settle" (which is a complete nonsense tagline as discussed earlier about all of their devices. It should already be on N and they should be considering how best to deal with O. wth OP?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agree with pure lamesauce. Not even about the promise, this is their 2015 "flagship" that was advertised with "never settle" (which is a complete nonsense tagline as discussed earlier about all of their devices. It should already be on N and they should be considering how best to deal with O. wth OP?
It is indeed ironic that the "2016 flagship killer" with the tagline"Never Settle" is forced to settle on Marshmallow while other devices it was boasted to kill are on Nougat, even some with lesser hardware.

I just find a service like this unacceptable.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It wasn't even better than the 2015 flagships, let alone the 2016 ones. It was only cheaper.
That was a ridiculous tagline to begin with.

It was only called that simply due to the price. It was no better than the proper flagship offerings it claimed to kill and was actually steps back in others.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I do understand where OnePlus is coming from with regards to the lack of a proper software infrastructure team. but a lot of people are going to always come back and say, 'Never Settle??'

If they left the OnePlus 2 on Nougat I think customers would have been happy. Definitely not the best news to hear especially when it's not even 2 years yet so they are stopping early with OS updates. it's not like Nougat just came out. but hay, Marshmallow still gets the job done. 😃

While this won't affect them (yet) it might just make OnePlus 3/3T owners feel like, is now Nougat the last for us?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I do understand where OnePlus is coming from with regards to the lack of a proper software infrastructure team. but a lot of people are going to always come back and say, 'Never Settle??'

If they left the OnePlus 2 on Nougat I think customers would have been happy. Definitely not the best news to hear especially when it's not even 2 years yet so they are stopping early with OS updates. it's not like Nougat just came out. but hay, Marshmallow still gets the job done. 😃

While this won't affect them (yet) it might just make OnePlus 3/3T owners feel like, is now Nougat the last for us?
Pete Lau tweeted that Android O will come to the 3 and 3T.

But due to the company's history of falling short on their statements and promises, I'm treating it with healthy skepticism.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Another thing is that on the aforementioned Q&A, the rep actually said clearly that the update is in fact coming

Pete Lau tweeted that Android O will come to the 3 and 3T.

But due to the company's history of falling short on their statements and promises, I'm treating it with healthy skepticism.

Agreed. When I see that 'update available' notification, then I will believe Android 'O' has been pushed :) As you said in your original post, a rep from OnePlus said that Android Nougat would come for the OnePlus 2 but now it's not. Obviously plans do change and maybe they were planning on sending it out originally. It's good to see they are at east saying it will come and not saying right off the bat that it's not. Because then we have no chance LOL :D

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. When I see that 'update available' notification, then I will believe Android 'O' has been pushed :) As you said in your original post, a rep from OnePlus said that Android Nougat would come for the OnePlus 2 but now it's not. Obviously plans do change and maybe they were planning on sending it out originally. It's good to see they are at east saying it will come and not saying right off the bat that it's not. Because then we have no chance LOL :D
I think the real issue is the lack of communication.

OP2 owners were left in the dark since that rep commented that it will come.

To have them say that it's not coming after all after such a long period of silence is a serious kick in the shin. I'm pretty sure many OnePlus 2 owners feel disappointed by the level of service they've received.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter