They wouldn't...

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Seriously this fear mongering s#@! needs to stop, this is just in direct correlation with
p3's write up and as of now there is nothing but rumors. If something concrete comes out then we need to look at the options.

jeffnucci

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Seriously this fear mongering s#@! needs to stop, this is just in direct correlation with
p3's write up and as of now there is nothing but rumors. If something concrete comes out then we need to look at the options.

a-freakin-men. Calm the bleep down people...

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't stress over this. As far as I can tell, theres not too much legitimacy behind this. I'm not trying to call out P3 or anything, but I'm very skeptical over this.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm certain that this is going to be coming in the future. Carriers are not going to let people steal service without putting up a fight.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
They aren't going to drop anybody for rooting their phone, either. They won't put themselves in a position where they aren't taking your money...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: itsdollar

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The percentage of those who root vs those who don't could very well be worth the carriers time and MONEY to drop the rooted users. Don't forget the throttling announcement a month or two back, that is clearly targeted towards those who tether (via root).

I fully agree we should get everything we are due, and by due I mean the money we pay monthly to the mighty carriers.

It is not illegal to root your phone, but the carriers TOS can and do say you are not allowed to tether without paying for it. I don't agree with their position, but they do have the ability to know more than we think. They can monitor, shape and inspect traffic. Cisco has the routers capable and the carriers are buying them.

Its a game of cat and mouse and honestly if the carriers didn't bloat the frickin phones up I would be happy.

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm certain that this is going to be coming in the future. Carriers are not going to let people steal service without putting up a fight.

Kicking people off for tethering is one thing, that is well within their right. Banning someone for simply rooting their phone to remove bloat and make their user experience is something completely different. Look at the front page on AC and it talks about a process coming for unlocking the bootloader on the Xperia. Seriously, think about it.

There is no reason to keep yelling fire, until there really is a fire.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Why are you so naive and think that just because you are rooted you are "stealing" service. I for one, have not tethered my thunderbolt. I bought the phone, I should be able to do what I want with it. If you are so against rooting, please stay out of the root area.

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this will happen in the future, and if you illegally tether I can see you getting the boot. But Carriers are not going to kick people off (and therefore not get paid) for people like myself that root just for custom roms and don't steal any service. It may be used against me if I try to put in a warranty claim, and I completely understand the reasoning behind that and it is a risk that I take by rooting. But you won't be banned (IMO) for simply rooting.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Kicking people off for tethering is one thing, that is well within their right. Banning someone for simply rooting their phone to remove bloat and make their user experience is something completely different.

I agree with that. I'd rather see them working on methods to accurately determine who was illegally tethering or using mobile hotspot rather than going after people simply for rooting.

You never know, maybe that's what they're developing. Rooting will raise a red flag to your carrier and then they'll watch your account more closely and take action only if they notice something out of the ordinary.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Why are you so naive and think that just because you are rooted you are "stealing" service. I for one, have not tethered my thunderbolt. I bought the phone, I should be able to do what I want with it. If you are so against rooting, please stay out of the root area.

Not once have I said I'm against rooting and might even do so myself depending on how this all shakes out. I'm against using rooting to steal service.

As for staying out of the root area....no, no I won't.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You get back to the same story every time, they are going to be "searching" for rooters and you say people need to quit stealing service. you are comparing apples and oranges.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
They can already "packet sniff" people they suspect of illegally tethering their phone to a laptop, tablet, etc. This seems like a bit of a stretch of truth right now IMO.

In a few years I'm sure they might be able to know, but right now? No way.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You don't have to be rooted to "steal". There are apps in the market that work perfectly fine for usb/bluetooth tethering.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What the carriers will be doing is seeing which phones have excessive data usage that would not be the norm for a smartphone. If you are d/l say 50-100GB a month my guess is you are tethering and they will certainly monitor your traffic.

Verizon has already stated if you are in that "small percentage" which I estimated was around 1.5 million customers (based on the % they quoted, I forgot what it is) they will throttle you for the current and following month.

I like custom ROM's, but the cat and mouse game is getting old already. Apple does this, I left Apple, if Android is going this way I will leave Android and look towards something else. The choices are not great but there are still choices.

In the end all I want is debloat the crapware, change my bootscreen and sound and be able to BACKUP my frickin phone GOOGLE. I don't tether I have a XOOM so I have no need.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you though... I'm not rooted yet, but if I was a Xoom owner, (soon) I would have it tethered to my TB for sure... I pay $30 a month for unlimited data... I wouldn't pay again for the same service, just on another device. And then even if you pay th $$ for tether, you have a cap! If they would go after customers for root tethering, they should make a joint data plan per account, not per device so people could feel better about the limits THEY put on OUR devices. I understand its all TOS and contract stuff, but I mean... COME ON! :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9