Things the Android phone or Nexus 5 does better than the iPhone

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lets not get ahead of ourselves because of 1 picture. The lighting can drastically change from 1 second to the next. A billion and 1 things could have went wrong. If it was 20 pictures with all the same results then I might start thinking it was a pattern.

If you have better comparison photos I'd be happy to see them.

All the iPhone 5s photos I have seen so far are consistent with that one. It does not do great macro.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Lets not get ahead of ourselves because of 1 picture. The lighting can drastically change from 1 second to the next. A billion and 1 things could have went wrong. If it was 20 pictures with all the same results then I might start thinking it was a pattern.

This sounds oddly familiar.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I used to think iPhones looked cute. But now when I look at the screen it looks so claustrophobic and cheesy.

I'm sure they probably work OK but I'm so much happier with my Androids (especially my Nexus 5!!!). I can have a screen with as many or as few icons as I wish (although not quite on the Nexus 5, but it doesn't have to be loaded). I can choose to have live wallpaper, well I don't know what iPhones can do, so I'm not exactly sure if they can't do that but every time I see a picture of one it just looks worse and worse to me. But that's just my subjective preference now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You already turned it into an Apple vs Android thing for no good reason. Wireless charging is not widely used. Apple has said nothing about it, you are quitting what others said about it.

I was looking for a few Christmas present for a friend that is unlucky enough to only own a iPhone 5. I wanted to buy them a Wireless Qi Charging device for their iPhone, since that is one gift that I want for Christmas for my Nexus 5.

I was just so surprised that iPhone is still stuck in the stone ages when it comes to Wireless Qi Charging. Apple only has gimmicks like 3rd party phone cases with charging coils or third party internal charging pads for Wireless Qi Charging. This article below talks about all the other things Apple told us we don't need no matter how much we may want it. So please list the things Android devices has that Apple doesn't in this thread. Please keep it technical and don't turn it into a Apple fan vs Android fan fight.

After looking around a little I found this article from 2012 after the release of last years iPhone 5;

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You are exactly right. As someone who knows iPhones and Android phones intimately this leads to a lot of comments about iPhones that are flat out wrong.

I mean you've already set the tone for this. The entire beginning of your post lacks any objectivity and clear you have little to no experience with iPhones. You may not have meant it that way but that's how it comes across.... as some smug, superior, "we're better than them" type attitude. Apologies if that's how you meant it but that's how it reads. Anyhow, I can name 10 reasons why I keep switching from iPhone to Android and 10 more why I keep switching back. But for the purposes of this thread I'll name 1 for each:

Keep switching back to Android:
Android customization which is attributed to the more open OS

Keep switching back to iOS:
Seamless ecosystem which (ironically) is attributed to a more closed OS LOL.

In my opinion neither are better than the other. They both have great strengths and weaknesses and it depends on how I'm feeling on which one I choose LOL.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
You already turned it into an Apple vs Android thing for no good reason. Wireless charging is not widely used. Apple has said nothing about it, you are quitting what others said about it.

Actually I think they said they weren't doing it because you still had to plug something in.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I used to think iPhones looked cute. But now when I look at the screen it looks so claustrophobic and cheesy.

I'm sure they probably work OK but I'm so much happier with my Androids (especially my Nexus 5!!!). I can have a screen with as many or as few icons as I wish (although not quite on the Nexus 5, but it doesn't have to be loaded). I can choose to have live wallpaper, well I don't know what iPhones can do, so I'm not exactly sure if they can't do that but every time I see a picture of one it just looks worse and worse to me. But that's just my subjective preference now.

Open your app drawer. Now ignore your desktop and only use the app drawer from now on.

Now you know what an iPhone is like.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Open your app drawer. Now ignore your desktop and only use the app drawer from now on.

Now you know what an iPhone is like.

Hahahah! That would drive me (so much) cRaZy(er than I already am)!!!! :p:D:p:D:p

Hahahahah! I'm sorry Apple people... hahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
For me the biggest thing is 3rd party app integration. I can make any app the default for anything. You cannot do that on iOS. Your default email will always be Apple. Your default maps will always be Apple. Your default Browser will always be Apple. That would drive me nuts.

Exactly! Every time I use an iOS device and it won't let me select what app I want to use for something I want to turn it into a Frisbee. We use Google apps for everything where I work, which is great on Android. On iOS you have to use the chrome browser and it will let you open links in Google apps you have on the iPad. This is an improvement but it is only within Google applications linking to other Google applications.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually I think they said they weren't doing it because you still had to plug something in.

From the AllThingsD interview with Apple's Phil Schiller:

Interview: Phil Schiller on Why the iPhone 5 Has a New Connector but Not NFC or Wireless Charging

"As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it?s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said. 'Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,' Schiller said."

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anybody in their right mind who has used both will prefer the iPhone. Zero shutter lag and consistently good pictures.

Besides, comparison side, the iPhone 5s is a good camera for a phone, period. So I stand by my statement that iPhone camera are good.

Sent from my XT1053

I guess I must not be in my right mind as after using both I would never go back to IOS. Just got the Nexus 5 and love it, fast, customizable, great OS, did I say customizable. No Shutter lag, good pictures, on second thought I must be in my right mind to have picked Android over IOS.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
From the AllThingsD interview with Apple's Phil Schiller:

Interview: Phil Schiller on Why the iPhone 5 Has a New Connector but Not NFC or Wireless Charging

"As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it?s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said. 'Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,' Schiller said."

I bet it's really complicated for Schiller, no wonder he got his position as an expert in Apple. Lol

@T-Mobile GN3

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess I must not be in my right mind as after using both I would never go back to IOS. Just got the Nexus 5 and love it, fast, customizable, great OS, did I say customizable. No Shutter lag, good pictures, on second thought I must be in my right mind to have picked Android over IOS.

I'm saying that only for the camera. I agree with you that nobody in their right mind would pick iOS over android. But I do think 99 out of 100 people will prefer iPhone 5s camera over nexus 5 camera if they are being honest with themselves. Just look at what reviewers had to say.

And if you say you don't have shutter lag on your n5, then you don't know what shutter lag is, or you have the only n5 in the world that doesn't have shutter lag.

Sent from my Nexus 5

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
One thing that really annoys me about iPhone is the fact that you cannot place apps on the home screen randomly. It frustrates me that you can only start placing the apps from top left hand corner of the screen.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I do think 99 out of 100 people will prefer Nikon DSLR camera over iPhone 5s camera if they are being honest with themselves. If I want to take pictures then I'm sure not going to buy a phone to do the job of a real camera. If you want to buy a phone due to a camera then you would get a Nokia Lumia 1020 not a iPhone 5s. Nokia Lumia 1020's 41M pixel makes the iPhone 8M pixel camera look really bad in comparison.

How about that tiny 4 inch screen on the iPhone 5s that makes me laugh with the Fruit company's one size fits all 2007 design that has barely changed. I do think 99 out of 100 people will prefer Android's many varity of screen sizes and designs of phones over the iPhone one size fits all phone that still holds the look of the 2007 iPhone if they are being honest with themselves.

Last edited:

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If the software is updated on the Nexus 5 to fix the shutter lag/focus times, then it'll be either just as good or slightly better than the camera on the iPhone 5S. Right now, the 5S doesn't have issues with either of those things so unless you're in denial, the 5S has the better camera. The fact that they released the Nexus 5 with such glaring issues is pretty bad, but realistically, it's not something that surprises given their track record with the camera.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Keep switching back to iOS:
Seamless ecosystem which (ironically) is attributed to a more closed OS LOL.
Frankly, I keep hearing this and I really don't know what this means. I don't own an iPhone but I have used plenty of them - every version. I find very little that is "seamless" about iOS. Sharing is a big part of what we do with our phones. In iOS, until recently, you couldn't go to your photos and directly share to Facebook. Even today, Apple has to build sharing in for specific apps. The experience on Android is the seamless one. You install any app capable of sharing, and it will come up in the share menu in the gallery, in every other app that stores any kind of content.

For another thing, consider in-app purchases. The experience is a lot more seamless on Android and through the Play store, and much more friendly to developers. Unlike Apple, Google doesn't take a 30% cut from every in-app purchase you make on your device. This is why you can't buy kindle books from the iOS Amazon app.

Why is locking people into default apps considered "seamless?" iOS will not allow the user to choose the default apps for SMS, email, or even maps. I think Android's customizability makes the user experience much more seamless.

Yes, if you have a house full of Apple equipment, your iPhone will play nice with them, but I don't know if I'd call being forced to go all Apple with what I consider some fairly overpriced equipment "seamless."

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Moto X; it has the features I like, which is why I got it. My brother has an iPhone 5. I've used it and I like it as well, and can see why others do too. For the sake of bringing a little more balance to the debate, I'll argue for IOS and iPhone.

Yes, the screen is small, but Apple is all about making a functional device that is as small as possible. They like things to be tiny. Their devices, are the thinnest, lightest, etc. A 4" screen on the iPhone serves its needs well, make the phone more pocketable than any other phone, and doesn't cause conflicts between the iPad and iPhone crowds. A device that would be big enough to be "both" doesn't really do either one very well.

I don't think anyone can dispute that the build quality is the best of any phone (save for maybe the HTC One). The Camera is also top-notch, and better than my Moto X.

As far as the OS is concerned, yes, its locked, and you can't put widgets on the homescreens, and you can't put your icons where you want. But its also due to the uniformity of the devices that Apple can distribute system updates to all devices simultaneously. It keeps the OS up to date. Having a clean UI also helps keep the phone feeling snappy, and helps battery life (despite the devices' small battery). And unlike some of the apps I have used on my Android phone, I have hardly ever come across a glitch on the iPhone. There are no half-@$$ed apps, or buggy apps. As they say, "It Just Works". And its true.

I still prefer my Moto X, but if it didn't exist, the iPhone would be near the top of my list. But again, it comes down to what you're looking for. Mabye I'm not as big a "tinkerer" as some of you. I just want my device to work, and do it fast (and in the case of Moto X, have "Touchless Control").

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a Moto X; it has the features I like, which is why I got it. My brother has an iPhone 5. I've used it and I like it as well, and can see why others do too. For the sake of bringing a little more balance to the debate, I'll argue for IOS and iPhone.

Yes, the screen is small, but Apple is all about making a functional device that is as small as possible. They like things to be tiny. Their devices, are the thinnest, lightest, etc. A 4" screen on the iPhone serves its needs well, make the phone more pocketable than any other phone, and doesn't cause conflicts between the iPad and iPhone crowds. A device that would be big enough to be "both" doesn't really do either one very well.

I don't think anyone can dispute that the build quality is the best of any phone (save for maybe the HTC One). The Camera is also top-notch, and better than my Moto X.

As far as the OS is concerned, yes, its locked, and you can't put widgets on the homescreens, and you can't put your icons where you want. But its also due to the uniformity of the devices that Apple can distribute system updates to all devices simultaneously. It keeps the OS up to date. Having a clean UI also helps keep the phone feeling snappy, and helps battery life (despite the devices' small battery). And unlike some of the apps I have used on my Android phone, I have hardly ever come across a glitch on the iPhone. There are no half-@$$ed apps, or buggy apps. As they say, "It Just Works". And its true.

I still prefer my Moto X, but if it didn't exist, the iPhone would be near the top of my list. But again, it comes down to what you're looking for. Mabye I'm not as big a "tinkerer" as some of you. I just want my device to work, and do it fast (and in the case of Moto X, have "Touchless Control").

HAHA WHATEVER FANBOY iSHEEP GO BACK TO CUPERTINO!!!

Kidding ;)

I'm kidding guys, lol. I just wanted to see how those guys who post stuff like that in comment sections feel :p