Things you DONT like about the HTC One?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The sound quality for voice calls is terrible. The volume is at max, but I can just barely hear the caller. This is my first GSM phone, so maybe this is normal? (AT&T)

I'm on Sprint and I have the same issue. I just might have to take this one back because I think I have said "what?" too many times already....and it's only been a day.

eus107709

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying I like the phone a lot... 9 out of 10.

But since you asked about dislikes, here we go:

The damned GPS icon - this is #1 on my list, because it's the one thing I can't change. The persistent icon only shows whether GPS is on or off. There's another icon that shows when the GPS is in use, that's enough! A waste of space on the status bar that distracts from useful icons.

Power Saver Notification - this app constantly shows a toggle notification in your notifications tray with no option to disable it. I went to app info and force closed it there, but that needs to be done on reboot. Annoying and yet another thing my brain has to filter out.

Jump to the top of Blinkfeed and App Launcher - There is only 1 quick way to get to the top of those screens once you reach the bottom and I'm willing to bet most people haven't figured it out yet. Scroll down and up really quickly to get the menu bar to display, then click a new category. It's a very awkward and doesn't work consistently. I was already getting used to Blinkfeed, but I'll have to abandon it to install a 3rd party launcher.

The App Folders - it looks horrible. It turns the icons in those folders into tiny little squares that's hard to see until your eyes focus. Compare that with the stock Android folder icons and you'll want to change launchers immediately (assuming you use folders).

The Gallery - why? whyyyyyyy can't we select more than one photo at a time? why? why??? W T F. If you want to use all the features of the HTC One, such as Zoe and burst shooting mode then you MUST use the built in gallery. Just try using a 3rd party gallery and see for yourself. (I do have a suspicion as to why, but it can be fixed with some imagination).

The Alarm Status Icon - this is minor, but still bugs the hell out of me. The alarm icon is with me all day long until I disable my alarms, which puts me at risk to forget setting it back at night. There should be an option to display the alarm only X number of hours before going off. I can download another alarm app, but would be nice not to have to.

These things make me hate the phone a little bit during the day. I'll eventually get around to solving them, but I'm annoyed I have to. Coming from near stock ROM on Galaxy Nexus for reference.

Westfire

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

The damned GPS icon - this is #1 on my list, because it's the one thing I can't change. The persistent icon only shows whether GPS is on or off. There's another icon that shows when the GPS is in use, that's enough! A waste of space on the status bar that distracts from useful icons.

Power Saver Notification - this app constantly shows a toggle notification in your notifications tray with no option to disable it. I went to app info and force closed it there, but that needs to be done on reboot. Annoying and yet another thing my brain has to filter out.

Jump to the top of Blinkfeed and App Launcher - There is only 1 quick way to get to the top of those screens once you reach the bottom and I'm willing to bet most people haven't figured it out yet. Scroll down and up really quickly to get the menu bar to display, then click a new category. It's a very awkward and doesn't work consistently. I was already getting used to Blinkfeed, but I'll have to abandon it to install a 3rd party launcher.

The App Folders - it looks horrible. It turns the icons in those folders into tiny little squares that's hard to see until your eyes focus. Compare that with the stock Android folder icons and you'll want to change launchers immediately (assuming you use folders).

The Gallery - why? whyyyyyyy can't we select more than one photo at a time? why? why??? W T F. If you want to use all the features of the HTC One, such as Zoe and burst shooting mode then you MUST use the built in gallery. Just try using a 3rd party gallery and see for yourself. (I do have a suspicion as to why, but it can be fixed with some imagination).

The Alarm Status Icon - this is minor, but still bugs the hell out of me. The alarm icon is with me all day long until I disable my alarms, which puts me at risk to forget setting it back at night. There should be an option to display the alarm only X number of hours before going off. I can download another alarm app, but would be nice not to have to.

These things make me hate the phone a little bit during the day. I'll eventually get around to solving them, but I'm annoyed I have to. Coming from near stock ROM on Galaxy Nexus for reference.

All of these status bar icons can be removed with mods after rooting your phone. As far as getting back to the top of BlinkFeed, just hit the home button and it will go to the top.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Had the phone for one day. Battery life is horrible. And the two buttons are not responsive. Other than that, I love the phone.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

This is straight from the user's guide:

"After you?ve scrolled down a long list or screen (in apps such as Mail and People), touch the status bar to jump straight to the top of your screen."

It works every time. Lots of useful info like that in the guide. ;)

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
All it needs for me is:

- a more useful notification LED. Meaning one that has a multitude of colors and a little bigger

- 4.2.2 Android. I would really like to have quick toggles and lockdcreen widgets.

- better capacitive button response. I see a lot of other people have an issue with them. But my issue is long pressing on the home button doesn't always register. Everything else seems to respond fine

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Tap the status bar in HTC apps and it'll jump to the top.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

eus107709

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

"After you?ve scrolled down a long list or screen (in apps such as Mail and People), touch the status bar to jump straight to the top of your screen."

That's good to know. Does the manual address the other annoyances?

eus107709

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
All of these status bar icons can be removed with mods after rooting your phone. As far as getting back to the top of BlinkFeed, just hit the home button and it will go to the top.

I'll eventually do that when development gets more stable. The problem with modding and installing custom ROMs is that they often introduce new bugs. I must have installed at least 50 unique roms since the Win Mo days, but I don't have as much time as I used to.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know. Does the manual address the other annoyances?

There's this one, which can help with arranging items on your home screens.
paf.PNG

I've yet to go through it all, but I'm still finding out neat little tricks like that.

ATSkorpio

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for this tip its very useful. Also if Blinkfeed is your dedicated homescreen then pressing the home button takes you back to the top when you have scrolled down in Blinkfeed. :)

ATSkorpio

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
From using the HTC Desire HD which lasted well but was clunky and sloggish, the HTC ONE is an outstanding improvement and is hands down the best looking phone to date.

Things i Do not like:

Sequence shot: This is a great feature don't get me wrong, but it doesn't always work well. A message comes up saying "Unable to continue because there are not enough images to process" even if you have burst shotted over 10 pictures. Also, it is not easy nor intuitive in terms of finding features like sequence shot on the phone. For someone who has just bought the phone, i doubt they will know that to use sequence shot you have to take multiple photos in landscape mode then go to the file, press back to see the cover view, then press edit, then retouch, then sequence shot or object removal .... There are too many steps and i think HTC should implement a feature similar to the samsungs galaxy s4 software whereby you can scroll through the different features and see a mini description and preview picture of what the feature does. I know HTC has the "how to" section which is useful, but i think for more novice or uneducated users, this is problem for HTC. Note of thumb: hold camera firmly and take multiple pictures in landscape orientation, it will not work in portrait.

Fast and slow motion recording These are two great cool features however the quality is affected and the footage looks very grainy which is unfortunate. I do not know if this is something only seen on the HTC but it is a let down when comparing the crisp and great quality when taking videos in normal full hd settings.

Other than that i think the phone is excellent. I was especially pleased that HTC provided us with a new "boom"sound experience which blows the competition out of the water. I think alot of smartphone users take sound functionality or quality for granted, but taking into account that our phones have heavy multimedia capabilities, the sound has made such a huge difference and is definetely a key feature. Playing games like shadowgun Deadzone/ Dungeon Hunter 4 sounds amazing!! Its like a mini home cinema. Even watching youtube videos/movies just anything to do with the sound, oh and the most amazing thing which no other phone can do well is playback clear sounding video which is taken in a nightclub or concert due to the noice cancelling software and microphones. This is a very useful feature, especially for someone like myself and should be marketed and advertised more strongly. It makes me think to myself, "why did i use to put up with tinny sounds from previous smartphones?".

- The new capacitive button arrangements can be annoying for some but i have gotten used to it so i do not mind, however i do agree that the htc logo not doing anything and sitting right in the middle is pointless. It would be cool if the logo had some form of notification light built in and would glow different colors depending on what notifications you selected to show. Or even a charge indicator which gradually lights up from left to right (h to c) and is full when the logo is fully illuminated. What do you guys think of that ? :)

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Where is it I can't find it on my phone? I just saw others post it's not there. I am coming from my EVO LTE and I was used to the power button being on the right but it's ok now. I wish Sprint would make a car dock like I had for my EVO but now the charging port is on the bottom and I may have to get a universal one. Now I wish the notification light at the top were brighter but so far I am loving this phone and the sound is amazing. I haven't read my book yet but n=knowing you can tap the status bar to go back to the top was good to know. I haven't really messed with blink feed yet or the camera and Zoe. But I took a video of a band last night and it was so good and it sounded and looked great. We just bought a new Panasinic HD camera and my phone took a video and sounded just as good if not better. Oh and the battery on my EVO LTE I would have to charge it while at work cause no good signal now I cango all day without charging it and come home with like 20%.

And on my EVO LTE as soon as I hit the power button the weather would animate on my home screen does this not do that? Are the windshield wipers gone? When I click weather I don't see animation to check mark in settings. And I could be wrong but I thought on my EVO LTE I had one big weather widget without the clock cause I see the time up top. But I don't see just a weather widget without the flip clock like I used to have. I knows there is a weather widget but not like the one with the flip clock and without the clock. And I downloaded power toggles to try it and can't figure out how to add them to my notifications when I swipe down but it's no big deal. I can make a widget with 4 things on there in a row but I don't like that I wanted just toggles in my notifications. But I am also fine with having the 3 I need the most on one of my screens as widgets.

There is a stay awake option in the developer options in settings :)

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Where is it I can't find it on my phone? I just saw others post it's not there. I am coming from my EVO LTE and I was used to the power button being on the right but it's ok now. I wish Sprint would make a car dock like I had for my EVO but now the charging port is on the bottom and I may have to get a universal one. Now I wish the notification light at the top were brighter but so far I am loving this phone and the sound is amazing. I haven't read my book yet but n=knowing you can tap the status bar to go back to the top was good to know. I haven't really messed with blink feed yet or the camera and Zoe. But I took a video of a band last night and it was so good and it sounded and looked great. We just bought a new Panasinic HD camera and my phone took a video and sounded just as good if not better. Oh and the battery on my EVO LTE I would have to charge it while at work cause no good signal now I cango all day without charging it and come home with like 20%.

And on my EVO LTE as soon as I hit the power button the weather would animate on my home screen does this not do that? Are the windshield wipers gone? When I click weather I don't see animation to check mark in settings. And I could be wrong but I thought on my EVO LTE I had one big weather widget without the clock cause I see the time up top. But I don't see just a weather widget without the flip clock like I used to have. I knows there is a weather widget but not like the one with the flip clock and without the clock. And I downloaded power toggles to try it and can't figure out how to add them to my notifications when I swipe down but it's no big deal. I can make a widget with 4 things on there in a row but I don't like that I wanted just toggles in my notifications. But I am also fine with having the 3 I need the most on one of my screens as widgets.

They got rid of the full screen weather. It was some of the unnecessary 'chrome' that gave sense a bad name.

I also believe they got rid of stay awake. I cannot find it anywhere in the developer options either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88