Thinking about getting the Gear 2?

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
I just got a new Galaxy Note 4, and am seriously considering purchasing the Gear 2 watch to go with it. The main reasons I'm looking at the Gear 2 are:

- it seems to be the only watch (aside from other Samsung watches) that has a camera and can take pictures and videos - is that right?

- The Bluetooth implementation in my Honda CR-V is terrible - I literally can't dial the majority of people in my phone's contacts unless I pre-program some of them first (only have 20 slots for pre-programming) or am at a complete stop and can clumsily browse the phonebook using a scroll wheel in the car. I'm hoping that I can use the Gear 2 to issue voice commands to my phone while driving and initiate outbound calls (that will hopefully then come through via the car's speakers/BT system) - does that seem like it will work?

Also, does anoyne know if I am just able to issue voice commands to the Gear 2 watch to dial contacts in my phonebook, or can I tell it to dial any number I want (i.e. dial 800-999-3355, etc.)?

I'm a little bummed out that the OS is Tizen and not Android Wear, since I feel like Android Wear is going to get greater compatibility and development, but I guess I have to look at what I'm going to get out of it right now vs. a year or two down the road.

Thoughts? Thanks!

atcach

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i have the gear 2 neo (same but no camera). Is a great phone, everything needed but being quite a nerd, tizen os is quite limited in apps. Dialing through phone works very good. Haven't tried to dial through the phone and have the audio in the car. I'll try and update. See the contacts and everything else is very nice.

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
Hi, i have the gear 2 neo (same but no camera). Is a great phone, everything needed but being quite a nerd, tizen os is quite limited in apps. Dialing through phone works very good. Haven't tried to dial through the phone and have the audio in the car. I'll try and update. See the contacts and everything else is very nice.

Thanks for the info! Quick question - can you dial just by saying numbers (i.e. Call 8009993355) or are you only able to dial by using stored contacts?

Thanks.

arharriger

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
My husband and I both got a Gear 2 just before the holidays. He uses more of the features, including the camera and phone features. The quality of the pictures are surprisingly good considering that he took them with the camera on the watch. When our (adult) kids saw the watches and the camera feature, they thought it was creepy, but husband still likes taking pics with it. Neither of us have tried the voice dialing, but based on the comment from another user, it looks like I should try it to help with phone calls when it's not easy to dial with the phone.

atcach

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I just tried the voice dial with the phone and then continued the conversation with the car's bluetooth. Only had to press the bt button on the phone

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
atcach - thanks for the update. I was hopeful that there wouldn't be any button pushing at all (since the phone is usually in my pocket while I'm in the car) - even when I make a call using the phone from within the car, it immediately goes out over the BT connection, but I wonder if having the Gear 2 connected (via BT also, right?) means that manual intervention is always going to be required. Worst case, I could still carry on the calls directly over the watch's speakerphone, right? That's still better than what I have now. Thanks so much for the info and testing!

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
So I have the Gear 2 and the Note 4, and it is working great with my Honda CR-V. I can use S-Voice while driving to initiate a call to a contact, and then the call rings through on the car bluetooth. The only question I have - is there any way to bring up a dial pad for the ongoing call after it picks up on the car bluetooth so I can enter digits (for instance if a system asks me to enter "1" for this, "2" for that, etc.)?

Thanks!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got the watch 2 days ago. Brown color. I would had gotten the Gear S had it had functions of the 2. And shape... I am a petite woman with small wrists. I love the style and shape. The S is too big and only black or white. I wish the 2 had data and didn't need to constantly be near the phone, but it's OK. The 2 has functions that made me choose it. So I deal with it. No camera was a definite deal breaker

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John H