Thoughts on Flyer

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
So...I got two for $99 each from Best Buy. It's like my Thunderbolt, just bigger. I do enjoy the screen size, and holding portrait and thumb typing is great. I have been holding out on a tablet, and now I know why, its just a much bigger phone without the phone. I do like it, but not all apps are compatible, I guess I am hoping for honeycomb to make improvements. I am struggling at giving the other to my mom as het first internet device since it is such nice hardware, but hey, only $99!

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I just picked up the Flyer today, and as a former HTC EVO 4G phone owner, i must say, i feel like i'm back home.

I've owned an ASUS Honeycomb tablet, but i'm sorry, that O.S. is just not quite ready for primetime, 2.3 is MUCH better. I've also owned a ViewSonic 7 (two of them actually) and the Huawei, and Nook Color.

Hands down the Flyer is everything you could possibly want in a tablet and MORE. And HTC Sense 3.0 is the "cherry on top" This thing flies, the .5 ghz processing speed boost along with the extra 512MB ram definitely is the BEST deal out there..Plus a truly nice touch are the way the 3 capacitive buttons change orientation with you, and from what i can see, of its 16GB internal storage, it allocates 4GB internal mem just for applications, as opposed to EVO4g's complete onboard storage only 512 MB...

.And if you are an EVO4G former owner, you will LOVE being reunited with your old pal, if you are an existing EVO owner looking to use your tablet as an e-reader, do some surfing, ck emails, you can do it faster and much more comfortably on this unit, and bonus, you will love how you already completely know your way around this amazing tablet : )

For $299.00 it is a TOTAL no brainer. Total : )

Just this one gal's opinion....

BTC

Last edited:

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey BTC, just curious, if you had paid $499 and had supported the Flyer since May, as an early enthusiastic, would you feel the same?

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey BTC, just curious, if you had paid $499 and had supported the Flyer since May, as an early enthusiastic, would you feel the same?

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive

Nope, I wouldn't.... I looked at the Flyer a few months back ago and found it too pricey:.. then I went the route of buying cheaper tablets @ the 250.00 price range, returned them due to terrible visuals, figured i'd just wait.... But now at the 299.99 price point and plus since I am now a SGSII owner (at&t) I miss HTC sense from my EVO.... the quality and solid build and attn to detail of this unit feels twice what it costs....

this perfectly bridges both worlds for me, and 299.00 for a couch tablet as enjoyable as this is much easier for me to justify a tablet purchase when my Sgs ii does everything on the planet... : )

Oh, and p.s., this cornflower blue highlights instead of the pea green is really nice.....

BTC

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. I agree that the Flyer is a great $299 tablet and had we seen better pricing and marketing from its initial release, I think the Flyer would have seen great sales rather than being a closeout bargain.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way and did the same thing as BTC...

Well, its been a full 24 hrs for me with the Flyer. That is usually the window in which i "lose my enthusiasm, get buyers remorse and pack up and ship my lil electronic device back from whence it came..."

Not this time. I've gone the other extreme, as i have enjoyed every single tap and result, i ordered a custom skin, (pics will follow when i get it: ) a case and a screen protector.(wish this thing woulda came with Gorilla Glass, ONLY thing lacking in this otherwise feature packed bad boy : )

Internet browsing on this thing is soooo totally enjoyable, i have to say it is equally as enjoyable as using my 24 inch all in one desktop. (I will admit i rest it on a little box with a rubber matt on it when i'm using it on couch (but its no biggie to keep the lil homemade appartus handy )cuz it would be hard to crane my neck downwards without it and i imagine would get heavy if i were holding it with one hand.... Hell, even when holding my cell phone laying down for long periods of time gets heavy (and it only weighs 129 grams - 98 lb weakling ovah heah : )

The speed, the responsiveness, having Sense 3.0, on it, the large internal memory, the sharp text, the form factor, the lack of needing a proprietary charger, SD slot, 2.3.3 O/S (personally my fav so far (cept for 2.3.5 with the "overscroll highlights : ) the way the capacitive buttons change orientation when you do (i LOVE that feature, so annoying when u had to use the capacitive buttons SIDEWAYS) i cannot say enough great things about this tablet. And all for $299.00 i am just "over the moon" 100% satisfied with this tablet.

(I don't know HOW HTC did it, but on other 7inch tablets i had, i was like "this screen is too small for a tablet" but their O/S just "works" : )

Anyone on the fence, get off of it and get to BB while they still have 'em : )

BTC

P.S. and just as further proof of how i think HTC got it completely right with this tab, i don't even plan on rooting it, and my HBOOT is 1.10.0000 so if i wanted to i could : )

Last edited:
Reactions: sunriseshell

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
P.S. and just as further proof of how i think HTC got it completely right with this tab, i don't even plan on rooting it, and my HBOOT is 1.10.0000 so if i wanted to i could : )

I rooted mine just so I could back it up in case it ever takes a dump on me. Titanium and CWM both work on it just like on my Evo4G

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to second everything BTC said.

This machine is truly brilliant!

I do not understand why many say they will get it when Honeycomb is released for it. From what I've read HC is nothing to write home about. Not to mention Gingerbread has the apps.
I'm just about positive I will not upgrade to HC when and if it is released for the Flyer. Maybe we'll get real lucky and get an Ice Cream Sandwich update.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to second everything BTC said.

This machine is truly brilliant!

I do not understand why many say they will get it when Honeycomb is released for it. From what I've read HC is nothing to write home about. Not to mention Gingerbread has the apps.
I'm just about positive I will not upgrade to HC when and if it is released for the Flyer. Maybe we'll get real lucky and get an Ice Cream Sandwich update.

Hi Sunrise! (i love bein' agreed with : )

Yup brilliant, dazzling, a joy to use, makes me smile just by turning on the power button : )

I don't get all the hooplah surrounding Honeycomb either, i had the Asus Transformer for 3 days, and if i would have been able to put 2.3 on it, i'd still have it (love Asus anything : ) but all the giant boring tiles on Honeycomb, the limited market apps, if they don't do something to "jazz up that O.S.", i'll be scrounging around for Gingerbread O/S on every future Android device i get : )

BTC

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sunrise! (i love bein' agreed with : )

Yup brilliant, dazzling, a joy to use, makes me smile just by turning on the power button : )

I don't get all the hooplah surrounding Honeycomb either, i had the Asus Transformer for 3 days, and if i would have been able to put 2.3 on it, i'd still have it (love Asus anything : ) but all the giant boring tiles on Honeycomb, the limited market apps, if they don't do something to "jazz up that O.S.", i'll be scrounging around for Gingerbread O/S on every future Android device i get : )

BTC

I think once ICS comes out and the tabs start running it you'll see a shiiteload of cross-platform apps getting released. I don't think Honeycomb took off with Google either to tell you the truth.

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Never been much for "me too" type posts but I agree with everything good in this thread about the Flyer. I've had mine for 4 days now & love it. Especially the 7 inch form factor. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with a ten inch tablet.
A question about updates. Does anyone know if a wireless tablet is similar to a phone in that eventually an update gets pushed down whether you want it or not? I'm pretty happy with gingerbread & I think I'd rather stick with it than honeycomb.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Never been much for "me too" type posts but I agree with everything ...... Does anyone know if a wireless tablet is similar to a phone in that eventually an update gets pushed down whether you want it or not? I'm pretty happy with gingerbread & I think I'd rather stick with it than honeycomb.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Not so sure about 2nd part of your statement about "pushing update whether you want it or not.".... On my HTC EVO 4G it always told me it had one, asked me, "to postpone or never remind me again." Sure hope thats the case here, don't think i want any update, it works so perfect "as is"....

Also, I know 7 screens is more than enuf for MOST of y'all, but did you notice when you double tap home key, in leap view there are 8 homescreens? I had to count twice, I was like, "whaaaa?". LOL

BTC

Last edited:

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've seen some people in the Tbolt forum who've mentioned that they kept refusing the Gingerbread update, but that eventually it pushed to their phone anyway, so that's what I was asking about. As far as the 8 screens go? What the hell are you guys filling them up with? I have two completely blank still. It seems a lot handier for me to use folders on my main screen to get to everything, so I end up not taking advantage of the other screens.

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as the 8 screens go? What the hell are you guys filling them up with? I have two completely blank still. It seems a lot handier for me to use folders on my main screen to get to everything, so I end up not taking advantage of the other screens.

+1 on that.
I use folder organizer folders on my home page on this and my 3VO to get to most of my apps. I have spare pages on both devices.

Artisanthe

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I've seen some people in the Tbolt forum who've mentioned that they kept refusing the Gingerbread update, but that eventually it pushed to their phone anyway, so that's what I was asking about.

In the case of the Thunderbolt....the OTA is more about carrier (Verizon) control of the device....thus they try to force the update....which quietly brings along the new Verizon software as well. The Flyer owes no allegiance to any carrier and is a purer HTC/Google experience. Personally, I appreciate the "Sense" overlay from HTC. Updates will come with only HTC software.

As for Gingerbread vs Honeycomb.....I think it's Very interesting to see some of the very latest tablets being launched....like the Samsung Note.....and the new Motorola ET1 business slate....have reverted to Gingerbread for stability. Honeycomb is becoming more and more the "Vista" of Android platforms.

Having said that.....if Dev's would write Pen Applications for Gingerbread.....there would be No reason to go to Honeycomb. With the new 299.00 price, HTC seems determined to establish a Hold in the Tablet Market for the Flyer......far from abandoning it as some have suggested. Maybe this will make it more attractive to Developers. There really is No Competition at this price. The new Samsung 7 Galaxy Plus is priced at 399.00 with HC....but no Pen. Cellular One, Rogers and T-Mobile have also all recently added the Flyer to their offerings.....so support going forward should not be an issue.

If the Pen were Updated to the Jetstreams Capabilities.....the Flyer would be unbeatable. My only other gripe is the lack of Flash for the Camera.....but it's still the Best Business Tablet available for me....D

Reactions: stirling

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As far as the 8 screens go? What the hell are you guys filling them up with? I have two completely blank still. It seems a lot handier for me to use folders on my main screen to get to everything, so I end up not taking advantage of the other screens.

Well, i could be crazy (never been proven otherwise : ) but a lot of the widgets practically takes up a whole screen, like picture frame, calender, etc, so you can't put several on one so i need all eight screens!! i'd take 10 if they're offering...lol

With the "leap" feature, its no prooblem to instantly access the individual screen, and i haven''t noticed any slowdown due to having all 8 operational... My Flyer flies : )

BTC

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz