[TIP] Smart Action: WiFi Connection

pdefazio

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd share something that is really working for me in terms of battery life:

Create a smart action that disables cellular data whenever you are connected to a WiFi network.

I have been consistently getting 12+ hours of battery with moderate to heavy use when on only on WiFi.

Reactions: Zorro1

pdefazio

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In the Smart Actions app:

-Add a new rule
-Start from scratch
-add trigger: WiFi Connection (you have to be on a WiFi network for this to work)
-add action: Cellular Data
-select disable
-save

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Never mind, finally found it. Smart Actions are so powerful, but it's actually not easy finding all the possibilities.

Silly Pirate

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I found this action to be pretty annoying. Picture messages wouldnt send because it said "Data disabled, cannot upload." I think there were a few other instances that caused it as well... When i would switch back to "data enabled", I would have to reboot to get data back. 3G and 4G never come back right away, usually takes 15 minutes or just a reboot (sometimes). I just leave both data and wifi on, especially since my phone is always near a charger. Toggling between the two gets pretty annoying on this phone

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have this setup on my phone too. I rarely have any problems, and when I do they aren't major. It really does help out with the battery life.

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I use this rule as well and have not had any issues with the cellular data coming back up.

I also turn off Bluetooth (in addition to cellular data) when I'm connected to WiFi. I only use the Bluetooth in my car so I don't need it on in my office or house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23