Tmobile to At&t

meweaver

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about switching from tmobile to at&t. I'm just not happy with the coverage. Does anyone have experience with that kind of switch?

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll get much faster HSPA speed with T-Mobile. It's pretty slow on AT&T for me after having using LTE previously.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. T mobile is great in the DC area. Super fast H+ speeds and I'm hacked with LTE but outside of DC, edge.....I can't take it anymore. I don't just stay in the city. I am starting to accept I will have slower speeds on At&t but they will still be enough for what I need to do and at least I will have coverage pretty much everywhere

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I just recently switched me and my wife's account from T-Mobile (whom I had been with since 2005) to AT&T. Although I had a pretty sweet deal with T-Mobile, (corporate discount, $20 Android Preferred 5G data add on, UMA calling that didn't count against minutes), I finally just decided the preponderance of areas that were EDGE/GPRS was just too much to deal with. So far I've been very happy with AT&T. Yes they are more expensive, but it's great having a usable signal in areas that I would either receive nothing or EDGE/GPRS on T-Mobile. I do hope that T-Mobile is able to be strong as their competition whether you are a customer or not of them, puts pressure on the big 2 (Verizon & ATT) to at least someone keep there prices in check.

deano131

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Being on a non contract plan is great. You can move anytime you want. I was a Verizon customer for 12 years. Gave up unlimited data on Verizon. My Tmo experience was like most others great data speeds when I had data but horrible voice and data reception. Went to Net10 Att. Data is slow but usable. 1.5 GB data cap. No big deal to me because I spend most of my data time on WiFi anyway. Voice quality is my #1 need. Att is still not as good as Verizon in my neck of the woods but for the $avings I can live with it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
yes att is beast when it comes to coverage i didnt even get signal in my own ******* house with tmobile

For me it's the opposite. I moved to AT&T in 2007 when the first iPhone came out. In all these years, they have never been able to provide a reliable data connection to my house. LTE stops two blocks west of my house. On my iPad Mini, I can get 40Mbps down if I drive two blocks west. Verizon was even worse at my house, I only got edge up until January when I finally broke my contract and got tired of the bad service.

On T-Mobile I can get an excellent signal in T-Mobile, usually about 17-26Mbps down. On my Mini, I can even get LTE at my house which averages about 20Mbps down.

It all depends on location.

heelanaya

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
For me it's the opposite. I moved to AT&T in 2007 when the first iPhone came out. In all these years, they have never been able to provide a reliable data connection to my house. LTE stops two blocks west of my house. On my iPad Mini, I can get 40Mbps down if I drive two blocks west. Verizon was even worse at my house, I only got edge up until January when I finally broke my contract and got tired of the bad service.

On T-Mobile I can get an excellent signal in T-Mobile, usually about 17-26Mbps down. On my Mini, I can even get LTE at my house which averages about 20Mbps down.

It all depends on location.

Yes location original post says he don't get signal on T-Mobile so att has too lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Dan Brunner

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from the $30 Tmobile plan to the $10 AirVoice plan. Porting was easy and now I actually get coverage inside my house. Tmobile was fine but their coverage in my area seemed to be getting Worse for some reason. Very happy with AirVoice so far. Also I could never get MMS working on Tmobile after hours or research, support and messing with the APN's. It works straight away on AirVoice.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand, the state of Florida has a moratorium on the building of new cell phone towers. I'm not 100% certain if that's true, but if it is, then once again way to go, Tallahassee; you're a bunch of I D I O T S.

T-Mobile in my experience is pretty polar in their coverage; it's either off-the-charts excellent, or non-existent. And if they don't either build more towers or put equipment onto other existing towers, they are going to lose out in the end to AT&T and all the AT&T-using MVNOs. I mean, honestly, there's nobody I know (including myself) who would be willing to remain with T-Mo strictly out of loyalty when a nominal increase in one's monthly bill will give you a day-and-night difference in coverage.

Now, for the moment, I'm content with T-Mo's coverage. However, if they don't improve their service within the next 18 months -- 24 at the outside -- then they are going to start falling apart around here and I will be with another option, quite likely Straight Talk or another MVNO and on AT&T's network. That's the whole point of freedom of choice and free market competition. I'm not going to support a company and therefore deliberately confound FMC which doesn't provide a level of service that I wish to have.

And while we're on the matter, I don't understand why T-Mo doesn't offer a $35 or $40 version of their $30 plan, and give say 200/250 minutes and 350/400 minutes. If they did that, I'd switch to one of those plans and probably never touch VOIP again.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I just re up'd my T-Mobile plan so I'm good for the next 30 but after that I am pretty sure I will be switching to At&t prepaid. For 60 a month I can get unlimited talk and text w/2 gigs of data and 10 bucks extra per gig if needed. Its not unlimited but hey it will work where I live work and play. That's what matters to me. I just wish T-Mobile was better outside of a city. That's where they need a lot of work!

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
It depends where you are. Where I am (Central Massachusetts) my HSPA speeds with AT&T are faster than the HSPA speed I was getting with T-Mobile. Across several geographic points in Central Mass I was seeing an average speed of 1 to 3MB on T-Mobile, while on AT&T the average is more like 6 to 10MB. The only place I saw higher speeds with T-Mobile was in Boston where I saw 22MB with T-Mobile.
You'll get much faster HSPA speed with T-Mobile. It's pretty slow on AT&T for me after having using LTE previously.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Last edited:

Josefius

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
AT&T seems fine for me. This Nexus 4 on AT&T is so much better than my Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. So glad I switched. I had odd data glitches and performance issues, even running Cyanogenmod 10.x.