Touch screen not responding is a known issue.

tlane01

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. I have a launch day phone. I occasionally have issues where i hit a button on the on screen keyboard and it doesn't register it. it shows the button being pressed but doesn't show up on the text entry. it only happens when i am typing rapidly. I was initially thinking it was the multitouch keyboard software that came with the X. I'm wondering if this might be a touch screen related issue.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I notice my DX screen will temporarily cease to respond if something else is operating behind the scenes...

For example, I have LP+ with the Contacts "shade" on my home screen where there are 12 Favorites with photos. Sometimes, if the DX has been idle, these contacts are reloaded when I activate things. THAT will freeze the screen until the load is finished.

Just a thought.

m2thedeep

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
To make sure it wasn't any of my market apps I did a factory reset and used the phone in it's stock state to see if the screen kept freezing. You might want to try that if you think you have a bad screen.

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I had a launch day phone as well. After about 25 days and 3 factory resets I went by my local store and had them order me a brand new replacement. It arrived Monday and so far no screen lockups. Mine was doing it all the time even with no apps installed other than the default ones on the phone. It was especially bad when trying to text and the keyboard would just stop working. I was getting frustrated, but the replacement is working well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I had a launch day phone as well. After about 25 days and 3 factory resets I went by my local store and had them order me a brand new replacement. It arrived Monday and so far no screen lockups. Mine was doing it all the time even with no apps installed other than the default ones on the phone. It was especially bad when trying to text and the keyboard would just stop working. I was getting frustrated, but the replacement is working well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I am still having this problem with my launch day phone....is there anything I can do about it at this point??

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
From my recollection, they had a few problems with some of the screens from release day, I suspect this may had been why the Droid X was so hard to get. One of the initial problems was "screen banding" do a google search and you'll see Motorola's response, they immediately replaced all defective devices, I wonder if it is related at all.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I recall the banding issue....mine definitely doesn't have that....the screen starts to get "Sticky" and slows to my touch, and then just stops working altogether. I have to press the power button on top to turn the screen off, and turn it right back on and it works fine. The biggest pain is when trying to type a text message and this occurs.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you are NOT getting automatic app updates on your X. These updates, which occur at random, will freeze your X and even occasionally brick it because you are doing something else at the time. This supposed convenience feature is, in fact, a royal pain in the ---.

To "undo" automatic app updates, you have to go to the Market, open each of your paid apps and uncheck the box that says "allow automatic updates." You will still get update notices in your notification bar and you can download them when you are not busy.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Automatic updates are indeed off, and this occurred on 2.1 as well as 2.2 My device is currently stock a the moment (after a factory reset I did a few days ago), so no third party apps. Still having the issue.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well, I finally went to my local Verizon store where I bought my launch day X. Told them about the issue, and the woman treated me as just "another dumb" customer. I told her that the screen had an intermittent issue (which if course, I couldn't get to occur while I was standing in the store) of the screen completely freezing up. She asked if I had updated the software to the latest version. Yes. I told her I even formatted the phone to see if that was an issue. It wasn't. They she was like, "Do you have antivirus software on here?" I was like "No, I just formatted the phone, there's nothing on there." She then called someone over and asked what the "Green robot software" was....to which the guy replied "Advance Task Killer". After downloading that onto my phone, she was like "See, you have all of these programs running, it will slow the phone down." I then whipped out "I have a computer science degree, I know how these things work", to which she then shut up and got embarrassed. At that point she couldn't tell me anything, and instead gave me a phone number to call.

So I'm still left with a Droid X that has a screen issue.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would have talked to someone else in that store that knew more then that person knew so they could be of some help. :)
It was just your "Bad"you got hook up with a "dumb vzw CR" :p
Sent Using TaPaTaLk

foodfight

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems I'm having this problem as well. Locking then unlocking the screen seems to clear it up. I want to say that it is the stock browser, I might try something else before calling Verizon. Other than that I really like the phone and haven't had any problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smuglur