Turn Genius Button into Search button (Requires Root)

jbaile07#AC

Feb 13, 2011
www.facebook.com
I've seen talk of Remapping the Genius Buttion as a search button, No independent How-to an here as far as I could find.

This work is credited to 21productionz - XDA developers.
[Guide] MT4G Remapping Genius button to Google Search - xda-developers

Here is the guide to remap the Genius button to Google search.

A press will give you text search and long press will give you voice search.

Items needed:

Root access (Perm root required as not having perm root will result in changes being undone on reboot)
Root explorer
MT4G
Fingers

If you misspell the word you will lose button functionality. Your Power button and volume buttons won't work. All is not lost though, pull the battery follow the steps again. I would recommend making a backup of the file before you edit it (Root explorer makes a backup, but you can never make too many. That and Root explorer makes a backup of the file before editing).

Steps:

1. Open Root explorer and navigate /system/usr/keylayout/ (That is scroll down and press the system folder. Scroll down again and press the usr folder. Press the keylayout folder)
2. At the top right corner of the screen press mount r/w
3. Long press "glacier-keypad.kl"
4. A screen will pop up, scroll down to "Open in Text Editor"
5. key 183 will say FUNC_4, change this to SEARCH (all caps)
6. Press the menu button
7. Press "Save Changes"
8. Long press power button
9. Press Restart
10.Try it out, and say thank you after it works.

Sorry but I was always told to explain it as if you were 10yrs old to prevent questions. Wasn't trying to offend anyone's intelligence.

Also while you're in there if you want to add WAKE_DROPPED after HOME, your phone will now wake when you press the home button.

If someone wants to make a guide for how to do this with adb, post it and I will update the op.

Update: The latest update for Voice Search has fixed whatever the problem may have been. But Vlingo is still a great app so feel free to give it a try.

Update: Mftek has given you another alternative. Please see this post For instruction on how to get Google search on a short press, and the Genius button on a long press.

Update
Last edited by 21productionz; 27th November 2010 at 04:19 AM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dancinkitty6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord