Two Week Review

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
This thing is really, really awesome. I loved my S7 Edge but never realized how good things could be. After using this phone for 2+ weeks it's really hard to find a flaw.

A few of its assets in no particular order...
(1) Battery life - All I can say is "OMG." This thing just lasts forever. I'm not sure if it's the new Snapdragon 855 performing this magic, the new 7nm architecture of Android 9.0 power management algorithms but you can use this phone heavily for two days and never even think of recharging it. I'm talking here about the US version with the SD 855 processor. I've read that the Exynos really lags badly behind the SD 855 this year. In past Galaxy devices the Exynos seemed to be a far bit better than the same-generation SD, but that seems to have changed fairly dramatically this year with the SD way out in front. Maybe it's the Exynos' 8nm architecture, who knows.

(2) Screen - Beautiful and bright. Even in direct sunlight, this screen remains easily visible. Whites are beautifully white (put up the Google home page at full brightness and compare it to other phones - the whites are just gorgeous) and colors are natural without being artificially boosted.

(3) Camera - Very good even with stock settings. Pictures are snappy with great contrast and good detail. Yes, there is some only-too-typical-Samsung over-processing but this is a minor complaint and one that could be corrected with an OTA software update. Low light shots are very good. Not in the same league as the Pixel with it's Night Sight technology, but plenty good for most of us unless you're attempting to get usable shots in a coal mine shaft.

(4) OS One UI - Really improved from prior Samsung software. Launcher, while improved, is still not even close to a match for Nova Launcher but definitely a move in the right direction.

(5) Fluidity and smoothness - Well, Android lovers, we finally have a worthy rival to (ugh) iOS. Not even a hint of lag and lightening fast. Transitions are seamless and everything about this phone screams 'speed.' So now we have the best of both worlds -- a phone that's as smooth and fast as an iPhone with the amazing flexibility and customization options of Android, a Goldilocks solution, if you will.

(6) Look and feel - Gone are the days of cheap plastic backs and second rate aesthetics. This is a phone you'd love to use naked (the phone, not you...lol) but, at $1000 a pop you'd be crazy not to throw a case on this beauty. A real shame though, because it's such a beautiful piece with such magnificent aesthetics.

(7) Ultrasonic FPS and other biometric security features - Like many of us suspected, this gets better with greater user familiarity. I now find that it works the first time at least 85% of the time. As I continue to use it I'm sure I'll get to a 90%+ hit rate. But coupled with the face recognition and other 'smart unlock' features getting into this phone is very easy and fast. On those few occasions where the FPS has a hiccup, a bit of moistness on the fingertip or thumb and it works 100% of the time. To the extent that it could improve at all, the good news is that this is quite doable with OTA software updates I believe. I don't think there's any problem with the underlying hardware.

As I was thinking of concerns/complaints I really couldn't think of any other than the weird power button placement way too high up on the right side of the phone. A minor complaint to be sure but one that is a bit annoying.

A truly great phone in every way!

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This thing is really, really awesome. I loved my S7 Edge but never realized how good things could be. After using this phone for 2+ weeks it's really hard to find a flaw.

A few of its assets in no particular order...
(1) Battery life - All I can say is "OMG." This thing just lasts forever. I'm not sure if it's the new Snapdragon 855 performing this magic, the new 7nm architecture of Android 9.0 power management algorithms but you can use this phone heavily for two days and never even think of recharging it. I'm talking here about the US version with the SD 855 processor. I've read that the Exynos really lags badly behind the SD 855 this year. In past Galaxy devices the Exynos seemed to be a far bit better than the same-generation SD, but that seems to have changed fairly dramatically this year with the SD way out in front. Maybe it's the Exynos' 8nm architecture, who knows.

(2) Screen - Beautiful and bright. Even in direct sunlight, this screen remains easily visible. Whites are beautifully white (put up the Google home page at full brightness and compare it to other phones - the whites are just gorgeous) and colors are natural without being artificially boosted.

(3) Camera - Very good even with stock settings. Pictures are snappy with great contrast and good detail. Yes, there is some only-too-typical-Samsung over-processing but this is a minor complaint and one that could be corrected with an OTA software update. Low light shots are very good. Not in the same league as the Pixel with it's Night Sight technology, but plenty good for most of us unless you're attempting to get usable shots in a coal mine shaft.

(4) OS One UI - Really improved from prior Samsung software. Launcher, while improved, is still not even close to a match for Nova Launcher but definitely a move in the right direction.

(5) Fluidity and smoothness - Well, Android lovers, we finally have a worthy rival to (ugh) iOS. Not even a hint of lag and lightening fast. Transitions are seamless and everything about this phone screams 'speed.' So now we have the best of both worlds -- a phone that's as smooth and fast as an iPhone with the amazing flexibility and customization options of Android, a Goldilocks solution, if you will.

(6) Look and feel - Gone are the days of cheap plastic backs and second rate aesthetics. This is a phone you'd love to use naked (the phone, not you...lol) but, at $1000 a pop you'd be crazy not to throw a case on this beauty. A real shame though, because it's such a beautiful piece with such magnificent aesthetics.

(7) Ultrasonic FPS and other biometric security features - Like many of us suspected, this gets better with greater user familiarity. I now find that it works the first time at least 85% of the time. As I continue to use it I'm sure I'll get to a 90%+ hit rate. But coupled with the face recognition and other 'smart unlock' features getting into this phone is very easy and fast. On those few occasions where the FPS has a hiccup, a bit of moistness on the fingertip or thumb and it works 100% of the time. To the extent that it could improve at all, the good news is that this is quite doable with OTA software updates I believe. I don't think there's any problem with the underlying hardware.

As I was thinking of concerns/complaints I really couldn't think of any other than the weird power button placement way too high up on the right side of the phone. A minor complaint to be sure but one that is a bit annoying.

A truly great phone in every way!

Could not have said it better. I have had the S7, S7 Edge, S8, and S9...the move from the 8 to the 9 was sometimes 2nd guessed but this is my hobby so it is for me to use to let my brain take a break from work...but the update from the 9 to the 10...well just see Psychdoc’s post...the S10 still amazes after 2 weeks

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I should have added that the radios are also amazing. Signal strength is great and the phone doesn't run down the battery like a drunken sailor even in low strength signal areas. And the connection through wifi is amazing. BT connection in the car is so good that two people asked me if I was on a land line. The answer, of course, was no, but the call clarity really is that good. Not sure how much of this is a Verizon thing or an S10 thing though.