Unable to do a warranty exchange through google play

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's in all the literature included on pretty much everything you buy. Plus you can look up warranty policies online. Trust me Google has their bases covered in your case.
Just chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned and next time avoid eBay and Craigslist if you want a warranty thats honored by the manufacturer or the company that sold it to you.

It's also included in the ipod and iphones, warranty is void is you buy it and this is going to go with this phone too.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Read more and post less. Giving out bad advice and recommending fraud are not what these forums are intended for.

Like what was said before, when you give back a defective device and the serial numbers don't match you'll get charged for it.....what a bonehead move. SMH
Never said he had to do it. Chill out people. The phone was obviously purchased from Google so it's not like I am suggesting stealing. I've had many staff at stores (ie costco) suggest I do this in order to make an exchange so get off your high moral horse. I would bet that your phone serial number would never be checked. And for what it's worth many people have received devices where the serial doesn't match. The phone would get tossed on a pile for RMA and everyone would be happy. No one is losing here other than him if he gets screwed over on a faulty device. It is a beurocratic issue not a moral one. If he can get LG to fix it great, if not then he can choose to live with the bad ear piece if he feels his moral compass will be sent in the wrong direction.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Pingus McGee

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
<Snip>
Defects

During the warranty period described in the Device Specific Addendum, if the Device is or becomes defective through no fault of your own, please contact Google Play Support. Subject to the Device warranty, Google, in its sole discretion, may offer a replacement Device or may refer you to the applicable manufacturer of the Device for warranty support. If Google chooses to provide you with a replacement Device, you agree that Google may exchange the defective Device with either a new or refurbished Device. If you do not return the defective Device within 21 days from the date the replacement Device is delivered to you, you authorize Google to charge your Google Wallet account for the replacement Device, not to exceed the amount paid for the original Device. Nothing in this section affects your legal rights.
<Snip>

I know this is an old thread but I found it today as I was considering buying a (new sealed in box) product on eBay.

The above quote from Google Play's policy, while accurate, does not actually say anything about the original purchaser being the only one who can use the warranty.

In fact the only relevant section I can find is:

"You may only purchase Devices for your personal use. You may not commercially resell any Device, but you may give the Device as a gift. Recipients of gifts may need to open and maintain a Google Wallet account in order to receive any support offered by Google. These Terms apply to any gift recipient."

This, along with the rest of policy (i.e. discretionary replacement/repair/return to manufacturer) indicates that you don't need the original receipt or any other proof of purchase but you may need a Google Wallet account. I am not sure if the device needs to be tied to your account via the IMEI or if it can only be tied to one account. The latter doesn't seem fair, since you might gift your old/duplicate phone/tablet to someone else after buying/being gifted a new one, but I am aware that warranties are often heavily slanted against the consumer.

It also appears that the manufacturer's warranty is independent of Google Play's policy - so if you couldn't get Google Play to facilitate then you would have to deal with the manufacturer directly and the outcome would depend on their policy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter