unresponsive while charging via car inverter...

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a small inverter for my car, it has a single 120v ac plug and a USB port on it. I picked it up some years back (during an extended power outage following Hurricane Wilma).

If I'm low on charge in my car (which does not have a USB port) I normally use a cheap 12v USB port and a spare cable (the one that came with my Palm Pre). This normally charges but slowly.

The other day my phone got down to near zero so I was hoping to charge it more quickly during a drive since I needed to then have enough to do some stuff quickly at a remote site and would not be able to charge it there.

Okay, I also had the AC plug for my pre (like the infuse, it is one of the AC outlet with USB affairs that you plug the USB cable into). I hooked it up to my inverter and it got to charging. On the way there I got a txt so I pulled over to check it. I normally use the pattern lock for my phone... but it refused to acknowledge any attempt to unlock it. As it was likely an important message I had been waiting on I finally force rebooted the phone (holding down power button) and had it reboot. Same thing.

While doing this I briefly unhooked the charging cable... and suddenly the phone responded with a "extremely low on battery" window. I hit "OK" and it responded. I then tried to unlock it and that worked. I hooked up the charging cable again... and again, no response to touchscreen.

I hooked it back up to the old charging method.. and it worked fine.

Guess no inverter charging.

sphinx23

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have also noticed some weird behavior with my phone while I'm charging the phone when the battery is about dead or in the middle of charging while I'm online.It'll sometimes say that the charging has stopped for some odd reason,and this is while it's attached to the charger that the phone came with.Also,it has a problem with the car charger I picked up at the At&t store,so lately I've been using the cable the charger came with and connected it to my griffin FM transmitters' USB port.This does seem to help the phone cooperate more with me while I'm on the road.

goldenlion007

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have also experienced this same issue. I am not quiet sure how I was charging it at the time, but pulling the cord absolved the issue. I will do some research on this issue in an attempt to get a clarified answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wisak2556