Update on Features

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if anyone has heard if the G6 will get a "portrait" mode. With dual cameras there shouldn't be a hardware issue. Also would love to get the finger print sensor gestures.

Are there any other features on other phones that have a possibility of coming to g6 with Oreo this summer?

For all of you that have been with the G6 for awhile, what are your upgrade plans? Do y'all plan on staying with the G6 until it breaks or is there a phone in the future you have your eye on?

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if anyone has heard if the G6 will get a "portrait" mode. With dual cameras there shouldn't be a hardware issue. Also would love to get the finger print sensor gestures.

Are there any other features on other phones that have a possibility of coming to g6 with Oreo this summer?

For all of you that have been with the G6 for awhile, what are your upgrade plans? Do y'all plan on staying with the G6 until it breaks or is there a phone in the future you have your eye on?
Since the G6 has been so devalued, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for some trade-in incentives on the next LG flagship. If the S9 is any indication, it looks like the carriers are going to do trade-in promos this year instead of giving free stuff, and the G6 had about half of the V30's trade-in value for the S9. Hopefully, LG will offer more since the G6 is last year's flagship.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

I guess I'm curious about your question about the portrait mode. I think I have that on my G6. I'm on Sprint in the US.

I'm pretty happy with my phone. I might see what sort of incentive they may offer for a trade in, but honestly, when the two year warranty, I feel perfectly happy sticking with this at least another year.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm curious about your question about the portrait mode. I think I have that on my G6. I'm on Sprint in the US.

I'm pretty happy with my phone. I might see what sort of incentive they may offer for a trade in, but honestly, when the two year warranty, I feel perfectly happy sticking with this at least another year.
There is a mode where the object is in focus and everything else in the background is blurred? The pixels do this with software, Samsung and the iPhone do this with multiple cameras.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There is a mode where the object is in focus and everything else in the background is blurred? The pixels do this with software, Samsung and the iPhone do this with multiple cameras.
Oh, no, I don't have that. Wasn't sure what you meant by portrait mode, then

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no, I don't have that. Wasn't sure what you meant by putting house, then
You would think with the dual cameras there could be an update that would allow us this feature. Played with a coworkers s9 and that mode made me feel like a professional photographer!

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I've read that thread. Hate to do some hacks if we were going to get it properly. May have to though.
Would be nice if they added it, however the overprocessing of images that the LG app does really ruins everything for me. If they don't fix that, then I won't be using it at all. The images that I get from the Gcam port are far superior. Plus you get the lens blur and portrait options. Haven't used the LG app in ages.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Unlikely that LG will add it. But if you install the ported Google camera app from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3747263 then you can have portrait mode and a much better pictures than the stock LG app.
First off, I stand corrected. If anyone is reading this in the future, don't get intimidated by the long post with the camera app. Just download both apks and it works. This thing works great!

Now a few questions for those of you who have used it. Does portrait mode only work with a face? Tried to take a picture of a mug and it never would do the full background blur, but when I did it of someone's face it would.

Also, what are the pros, in your opinion, of using this app full time over LGs.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is a sample from the app. The software has a hard time recognizing Violet's hair twig or whatever you call it. But other than that it did a great job.
41dd279255ec6a3aff8c25e7803bfec6.jpg

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
First off, I stand corrected. If anyone is reading this in the future, don't get intimidated by the long post with the camera app. Just download both apks and it works. This thing works great!

Now a few questions for those of you who have used it. Does portrait mode only work with a face? Tried to take a picture of a mug and it never would do the full background blur, but when I did it of someone's face it would.

Also, what are the pros, in your opinion, of using this app full time over LGs.
You are correct about portrait mode only working on people. If you want to take portrait style pictures of objects, then use the lens blur option. The only benefit of the LG camera, is that it is slightly faster to focus. Other than that, the Gcam app is superior. The other only downside with the Gcam app is that it puts the portrait images in individual folders ( I think this is standard for the pixel phones anyway).If you use the LG gallery app, that can be annoying. If you use the Google photos app, then you won't have to worry about that.

Another really cool feature on the Gcam app is the slow shutter option. If you can be real steady or have a tripod, you can take some really remarkable pictures in low light scenes.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
You are correct about portrait mode only working on people. If you want to take portrait style pictures of objects, then use the lens blur option. The only benefit of the LG camera, is that it is slightly faster to focus. Other than that, the Gcam app is superior. The other only downside with the Gcam app is that it puts the portrait images in individual folders ( I think this is standard for the pixel phones anyway).If you use the LG gallery app, that can be annoying. If you use the Google photos app, then you won't have to worry about that.

Another really cool feature on the Gcam app is the slow shutter option. If you can be real steady or have a tripod, you can take some really remarkable pictures in low light scenes.

Personally, I like the wide angle feature and having the 18:9 aspect ratio for my photos. I understand many folks don't, but I've always had it set that way and like the way most of my photos turn out when I have it set that way. The Google Camera app doesn't allow you to take advantage of that setting.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Found out about the lens blur feature last night! I feel I like the gcam pictures better. I have a 2 year older running around, which camera will do better with trying to capture an action picture?

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Found out about the lens blur feature last night! I feel I like the gcam pictures better. I have a 2 year older running around, which camera will do better with trying to capture an action picture?
Unfortunately the LG cam is marginally better with moving objects. However, it's still hit or miss. I try use the burst feature (holding down the shutter button) and then pic the best.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the LG cam is marginally better with moving objects. However, it's still hit or miss. I try use the burst feature (holding down the shutter button) and then pic the best.
I've had marginal success using manual mode to mess with exposure and iso. I'm definitely a novice but I have enough understanding to play around. I'm guessing hdr enhanced is probably the worst and blurring accidently when a target moves.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Holding on to mine a little while longer. At least towards the end of the year.
Yeah, we got our G6s with AT&Ts 2 for 1 deal, so we can't upgrade through the carrier until next April. Only thing I may upgrade earlier if for an unlocked Oneplus 6 or something if I can get it financed, but even then if the G6s is still going fine I'll probably ride it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franzmorais