Upgrading from Samsung S8+ to V20

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I got an S8+ for half price last 'black friday' and here are my observations, pros/cons versus LG V20:

Pros:

While V20 is very pretty and nice PQ-wise, the S8+ screen is amazing and breathtaking. The resolution is awesome due to pixel density. It's that retina display and more. Colors are on the money too. Every time I look at the screen, especially versus other phones, it generates a 'wow' display. Both text and pictures.

It's fast. Faster than anything I've ever used.

New USB C-type charger. Superior to the old style micro USB.

Now the cons and there are many:

18.5:9 ratio. Now what a stupid idea that is. I knew it was stupid and after 6 months still think it's stupid. Prefer 16:9 of V20. Nothing scales well to 18.5:9.

Curved edges, what a dumb idea. Again prefer V20. They reduce visible area, I constantly engages apps on the very edge, there is nothing to hold on to.

Which brings me to the next item: S8 is very slippery and very thin. I've seen a number that got broken, the phone just wants to slip out of your hand and head towards the asphalt with breathtaking speed. You *need* a rubber case for it. I use ZeroLemon extended battery which gives it some real depth.

V20 has that grippy back cover and just doesn't seem to fall out of your hand. Better still, an extended battery.

Non-removable battery. Again, V20 wins here totally. The high-resolution screen, higher pixel density means the drain is higher and a 3300 mAh (or so) battery is completely not adequate. I don't want the phone credit-card thick, I want some depth for better runtime and to make it easier to hold. You have to recharge the phone twice per day if used at all, with screen time and maps and stuff.

I use ZeroLemon with S8+ and they work, somewhat. They make the phone very thick, thicker than V20 with ZeroLemon. In the V20 case, the ZL battery replaces the original battery, in the S8 case, ZL is installed on top of the original battery. And you have to push the button to recharge the internal battery. So V20 makes a lot more sense size-wise. With ZeroLemon 10,000 mAh extended battery IMO it's the just the right size, pretty compact and still maintains that 16:9 ratio while S8 Plus becomes huge.

Price. LG V20 wins. It's most "cost-effective".

I didn't evaluate cameras, speaker, mike, etc.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There's no good reason for curved edges except if you are into the edge features provided by some Samsung phones. Just makes a phone more fragile.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
The edge screen, the 18:9 and the non-removable battery cell - either one of these is a deal-breaker. I will probably sell mine at some point and get a new V20. Maybe in 6 months when V20 drops in price even further.

Certainly when / if they released V40, which they will, that will be very good news towards my V20 plan. Kind of like Note 8 made Note 4 dirt-cheap.

V30 seems to have copied all the stupidest ideas from S8 series. Battery, 18:9 and edge. Just downright unbelievable. Seems LG V30 and Samsung S8+ have more in common than Samsung S8+ and Samsung Note 4. Or V30 and V20.

V20 seems to be steadily dropping in price. which is great news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d