USB Issue - Is it S22 or Android 12?

iradeut

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
I just traded in two s9s for s22s, and they both are having issues with USB connectivity.

The first issue has to do with connecting my car to Android Auto, which worked perfectly fine on my previous phone. Sometimes it works, and then suddenly it doesn't. I get an error message saying to replace the USB cord, but once I start getting that message, no USB cord will work. At first when this began to happen, I tried rebooting the phone and then it would work. The last time it happened, even rebooting didn't fix it, but then I uninstalled the Android Auto app, reinstalled it, re-booted and then it worked with no issues.

The second issue has to do with using a USB dongle to plug in wired headphones. Again, it sometimes works and sometimes cuts in and out. Rebooting will make it work for a while, but then it goes on the blink again.

To repeat, I'm having these issues with both phones and multiple USB cords, all of which are high quality.

The fact that a reboot or a reinstall of software temporarily solves the issues, would indicate to me that this is a software, not a hardware issue.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is it an S22 problem, or does this happen on other phones with Android 12?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aldo79

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I just had some flakiness today with Android for the first time, cutting in and out. Unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable fixed my issue.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't personally have Android Auto so I can't speak either way, but I've heard Android 12 in general is a little weird with Android Auto. You'd think they'd have fixed all these bugs by now.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
I just traded in two s9s for s22s, and they both are having issues with USB connectivity.

The first issue has to do with connecting my car to Android Auto, which worked perfectly fine on my previous phone. Sometimes it works, and then suddenly it doesn't. I get an error message saying to replace the USB cord, but once I start getting that message, no USB cord will work. At first when this began to happen, I tried rebooting the phone and then it would work. The last time it happened, even rebooting didn't fix it, but then I uninstalled the Android Auto app, reinstalled it, re-booted and then it worked with no issues.

The second issue has to do with using a USB dongle to plug in wired headphones. Again, it sometimes works and sometimes cuts in and out. Rebooting will make it work for a while, but then it goes on the blink again.

To repeat, I'm having these issues with both phones and multiple USB cords, all of which are high quality.

The fact that a reboot or a reinstall of software temporarily solves the issues, would indicate to me that this is a software, not a hardware issue.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is it an S22 problem, or does this happen on other phones with Android 12?
No issues with my s22 ultra. Works with my Toyota Highlander 2020 fine.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just throwing this out....if you have more than one USB port in the vehicle; give it a try. I have approx. 5 or 6 USB ports in my trucks and one of the ports, in one of the trucks, under the center console will not work with my plug in 64gb USB loaded with music, all other ports will. However, this port worked ok with AA last year when I used it last.

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine is a 2021 Toyota Prius XLE AWD-E and I'm using a Samsung cable. I think part of the issue is the USB protection flap on my case pushing against the USB connector. With a flapless case, it's better but problem still intermittently appears.

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem with my Note 20U and is one of the reasons that I upgraded to the S22U. I even took my N20U to a Youbreakifix shop and they couldn't find an issue with either the port or cable I was using. So far, no problems at all with the S22U, but I'm distressed that you've been having the identical problem with the new phone.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Had this issue in both my vehicles switched to a cable that is
USB-IF CERTIFIED: Compliant with USB 3.1 Gen 2; backwards compatible to USB 3.0 and 2.0;

No issues with either vehicle

Screenshot_20220325-171746_Amazon Shopping.jpg

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm having USB issues with my S22 Ultra. If I use Dex with a USB hub it will keep flickering in the notification section. I have to keep unplugging and plugging the USB back in again. It better not be the port. I've heard similar horror stories about previous Notes and Galaxy phone having the same issue. For some reason the USB C is very fragile... Even after unplugging from the USB port tonight it was still flickering about unsupported USB... Had to restart the phone...

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It's a 2016 Chevy Spark. And yes, I've tried the Samsung supplied USB cord.

I have a 2019 Chevy Sonic and have to use a short USB cable for Android Auto to work. A longer cable just doesn't work. I've never figured out why since the longer cable is newer and honestly not that long. I just figured it was a Chevy issue as much as an Android Auto one.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2019 Chevy Sonic and have to use a short USB cable for Android Auto to work. A longer cable just doesn't work. I've never figured out why since the longer cable is newer and honestly not that long. I just figured it was a Chevy issue as much as an Android Auto one.
How long is the long cable? If it's more than 3 m it's actually too long.

Reactions: mustang7757

Hardhat Harry

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I had the issue last week after using a new USB C (USB 3.1 Gen 2)cable to connect to my 2019 Chevy Colorado. Tried an older cable and had the same issue. A restart of the S22 solved the issue and has not returned. Initially thought the new cable was bad which was why I tried the older cable. (shrugs shoulders)

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Still having the same issue even with debugging enabled for USB. I have to keep restarting the phone. This shouldn't be a issue for a new phone. It's insane. And I use the same USB C hub for my Note 10+. Never had this issue before... Now it's a daily issue with the S22 Ultra. And it's a known issue from what I been reading for the S22 Ultra

Hardhat Harry

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Yesterday (4/12/2022) had same issue again when connecting my phone to my truck. Retrt the phone and issue resolved. (another shrug of the shoulders) Hope an update fixes this issue.

Aldo79

Sep 28, 2023
Visit site

I'm having exact same issue - usb connection is intermittent. Same problem with 4 distinct chargers, including android auto, so I'm confident the issue is the usb-c port on the 'phone. Just off the 'phone with 'Belle' at Samsung who says I need to either:- 1) drop it off at a high street retailer for them to send the phone away for 3 days (they also said this will require a mandatory hard factory reset of the 'phone - when I asked why they couldn't explain) or 2) Drive it to their location where they have an engineer on site - a fair drive away from me - and hope there isn't a long queue as they are not prepared to give me an appointment. Also this place is only open Mon-Fri so wil require me taking time off work. Piss off Samsung.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys87