Using Hangouts as default SMS (GS5)

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has experience with this. I'm on AT&T and the stock messaging app is functional but lackluster. I like to avoid installing too many third party apps because eventually they weigh down the phone, which seems to already lag enough (just reset 3 days ago...).

Not asking how to do it, just asking for the experiences of others. And if anyone has suggestions about how to avoid lag. The kind of lag where I click gallery or camera for example and it takes nearly a full second before I can see anything.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dchl

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Personally Hangouts is my favorite SMS App. Another great option is Hello SMS.

Having a few third party apps won't hurt. And Hangouts is made by Google, so it's legit!

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay thanks. Maybe I'll try it out. I have used Handcent and Chomp in the past as well, but I sometimes had trouble with group text with iphones. Maybe it deserves to be revisited. The stock app and GO SMS fortunately do not have this problem.

Luis Bryan Corona

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
The confusing thing for me is that I can't tell what friends are on hangouts and what ones aren't. I can hangout message anyone who has a Gmail account, but they won't get it unless they have the app. How do I know?

You can send them an invite to get the Hangouts app tht's one way if you're having issues with messaging non hangout users from my personal experience ican message people just fine with or without them using the hangouts system although yes it is a lot faster with them having it as well but the application in itself is way better in my opinion then the default messaging app it's more of a chat than a SMS plus you can video chat on hangouts without having to download skype or any of the other video apps