Using Hangouts for SMS/Texts/MMS is really going to take some getting used to

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It will take some getting used to for sure, but I find change pleasing:) I seem to be able to SMS people just fine. Going to have to use it more to see how a several week feel goes. I don't want to rush to judgment after a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

uumeshh

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Got rid of hangouts. Just don't like separate threads for sms and hangouts chat. the purpose would be solved when all messages with a person show up in a single thread

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this has anything to do with AT&T or the Nexus 5 but I noticed today that I am able to video chat through hangouts over the cellular network. I want able to do this with other android devices on AT&T.

fender4645

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered but is there a way to get lock screen previews of SMS messages when using Hangouts as the primary client?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered but is there a way to get lock screen previews of SMS messages when using Hangouts as the primary client?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I use active notify, it gives you notifications similar to the moto x. Might not be exactly what you're looking for but I like it.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I tried using hangouts but ended up switching to a third party app... first handcent and now go sms.

The main reason, at least for me, was that if I tried to start a conversation through hangouts, I wasn't sure if it was sending it by sms or not. And in one case even though I choose a mobile number for a contact, it did it as a hangouts chat and not a sms.

If I initiated a sms through the address book, then that worked fine but I find that a work around that I shouldn't have to do.

So I am not happy with the all in one solution. Maybe if they improve it, I will try it again but for now I am sticking with a third party app.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried using hangouts but ended up switching to a third party app... first handcent and now go sms.

The main reason, at least for me, was that if I tried to start a conversation through hangouts, I wasn't sure if it was sending it by sms or not. And in one case even though I choose a mobile number for a contact, it did it as a hangouts chat and not a sms.

If I initiated a sms through the address book, then that worked fine but I find that a work around that I shouldn't have to do.

So I am not happy with the all in one solution. Maybe if they improve it, I will try it again but for now I am sticking with a third party app.

Posted via Android Central App

Just curious, but if they have hangouts, wouldn't sending it as a hangout as a default be preferable? Some people are charged on a per text basis, Google probably doesn't have access to yours or the recipient's rate plan, and so sending it as a hangout avoids potential fees incurred by you and/or the recipient when none is necessary.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, but if they have hangouts, wouldn't sending it as a hangout as a default be preferable? Some people are charged on a per text basis, Google probably doesn't have access to yours or the recipient's rate plan, and so sending it as a hangout avoids potential fees incurred by you and/or the recipient when none is necessary.

the problem is that not everyone has Hangouts. and this Hangouts App on the Nexus 5 allows you to very easily mistakenly send a message as a Hangout as opposed to as an SMS and it's not very clear that you did so - so you may never know that you did. BUT not everyone has Hangouts installed. so guess what happens when you send a message as a Hangout (but you thought was an SMS) to someone who doesn't have the Hangout App installed and running? any guesses? well i'll tell you - they never get the message and you are none the wiser that they didn't. it just goes into a black hole. and therein lies the problem.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
the problem is that not everyone has Hangouts. and this Hangouts App on the Nexus 5 allows you to mistakenly send a message as a Hangout as opposed to an SMS and it's not very clear that you did so - so you may never know that you did. so guess what happens when you send a message as a Hangout (but you thought was an SMS) to someone who doesn't have the Hangout App installed and running? any guesses? well i'll tell you - they never get the message and you are none the wiser that they didn't. it just goes into a black hole. and therein lies the problem.

Good call. If you're sending a hangout, they obviously have a Google account that you're sending it to, but they may not even know what hangouts is. That'd be a good thing for Google to alert you or just handle back-end. Of course, if you're inputting a person by phone number, it is a safe assumption that you're wanting to contact them via that number.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
the one app unification is OK. but there needs to be a clearer bolder delineation between choosing to send a message as an SMS or as a Hangout in the UI. today i tried to send 2 SMS messages but i accidentally sent them as Hangouts. i didn't catch it right away. you have to look real close to see WTF is going on.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's just me; I'm having a grand ol' time with Hangouts. I do what moderator "NothingIsTrue" does, though (I mean our use cases are similar). Before, on my Galaxy Nexus, I would use an SMS app and also the Hangouts app (or GTalk). Now, I just use 1 app, Hangouts, to both send text messages (most frequently because I still unfortunately know many people without Hangouts or without Android devices), and Hangout messages, which I treat as instant messages and liken to my AIM days. If both options are available for the contact, I usually choose Hangouts (IM) first. The SMS/IM transition is pretty seamless for me.

For example, I open the Hangouts app.
A giant list of my recent convos appear, whether they were Instant Messages or if they were texts.
If I need to contact someone who I've not had a recent conversation with, I hit the plus sign in the upper right corner.
On this page, I can either use Google's recommendations "People You Hangout With" which lists people in the past I've IM'd; "Suggested People", which lists random G+ contacts I have or am following; or "Other Contacts", which lists all my phone's normal contacts from my address book. HOWEVER, I almost always just simply tap the very top of this screen, which is a search bar, and type the contact's name. Much quicker if I know who I'm trying to contact.
As an example, my mother does not have Hangouts, G+, or even an Android device. In my address book, I have her phone number listed and her e-mail listed. When I type "Mom" into this page, she quickly pops up as two things: An email address, which I can tap to quickly e-mail her, and a phone number, which I can tap to quickly text her. The phone number even has a nifty little grey "SMS" icon to the right of it, to make sure you know you will be texting this person if you choose the number.

Basically, Hangouts is a complete contacting app. I believe Google will be focusing on it being the one app you could use to contact any one of your contacts using any form possible: know their e-mail? e-mail them. Know their phone number? Text them. Know they use G+? Hangout with them through IM or video chat. All of this right from within one single app!

When you are in any conversation at all: text or hangout/IM, if the contact has multiple ways to contact them on your phone, simply tap their name at the top with the little drop-down arrow, and it lists every way to contact them. Say you're in a text convo with them but you want to switch to a Hangout with them: tap their name and simply select to switch to their Hangout form of contact - boom, it's magic.

Sorry for the length, but I think Google did a great job with the app with the exception that, in the conversation list, a Hangout and an SMS conversation with the same contact is separated, not threaded or connected in some way. It leaves the conversation list feeling a bit cluttered. This is nothing that Google can't fix very simply with future updates to the Hangouts app, and I'd bet money on it coming in the next few updates.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
i just can't understand why my "People you Hangout with" is limited to 2 SMS Contacts despite texting at least 10+ people so far. and as a side note my LONG PRESS "Hide Contact" doesn't work either.

i'm trying to think of all the variables - i wonder if it's because some have G+ profiles and others do not?

Sorry, I just now saw your question on this.
The only people that show up as SMS in that are people I have used G-Mail chat to send a text to their phone number with.
Does that make sense?
Like, I was on the Gmail page on my desktop. I then sent a message to someone, but they did not have an Android device/did not have G-Talk. Only had their phone number. Google/Gmail still allows you to send a message to them.
These people I have done this with show up in my "People You Hangout With" or whatever part of my Hangouts app.

edited for more info: So, basically, Google is treating the phone number I texted as me "hanging out" with them, because I sent them a text using my Google account, through G-mail, on my desktop. That's why the contact shows up in the "People You Hangout With" section, and why it has a grey "SMS" icon to the right of it, while the others who I've not done this with do not (instead showing their Hangout IDs), is because it was just their phone number (they had no Hangout IDs).

Last edited:

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
On the hangout App, Google should follow on Apple's iMessage footsteps, to allow the consolidation of any text (nobody where it was sent from or to), to remain on the same thread. An added perk would be to add third party conversation services such as Facebook chat, twitter chat, msn, BBM, and other such services onboard. This will make handouts the ultimately messaging Google App.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
On the hangout App, Google should follow on Apple's iMessage footsteps, to allow the consolidation of any text (nobody where it was sent from or to), to remain on the same thread. An added perk would be to add third party conversation services such as Facebook chat, twitter chat, msn, BBM, and other such services onboard. This will make handouts the ultimately messaging Google App.

Oh, you mean more like follow in the footsteps of webOS then... Gotcha.

coggster

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I like most of Hangouts but it does seem to take a tiny bit too long to load and move around it. Hopefully that will get better in an update but I might try Textra for a bit as I haven't actually ever needed to send a Hangout!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded Textra. Haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it will be fine once I have this on a carrier.

Hangouts is too large and centralized. Hm, what does that remind me of. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnsd84