Verizon Can No Longer Charge For Tethering, FCC Declares

R3asonableDoubt

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has been slapped with a $1.25 million fine for charging customers to use their cell phones as a mobile Internet hotspot, and has declared that it must allow tethering for free. Google must also reinstate tethering applications from its Android store, which Verizon had asked them to remove. This is especially great news considering more Android devices (and perhaps the next iPhone) are 4G compatible, making mobile Internet nearly universal for Verizon customers. Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T customers should prepare to be gripped by overwhelming jealousy, as it only applies to Verizon.

?Today?s action demonstrates that compliance with FCC obligations is not optional,? said FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, in a statement. ?The steps taken today will not only protect consumer choice, but defend certainty for innovators to continue to deliver new services and apps without fear of being blocked.?

We?re unsure how quickly this policy will be implemented, so if you?re a Verizon mobile hotspot user, and you fall under the non-unlimited data plans that this ruling applies to, let us know when Verizon stops charging you for the service.

Source: Verizon Can No Longer Charge For Tethering, FCC Declares

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The last part of it makes it seem as if unlimited data can't get away with this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree. First it makes it sound like tethering is tethering. Then it makes it sound like there's a distinction between the two. To me you're either tethering or you're not.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good. Data is data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Xak

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

YEAH, suck it Verizon!

conman1395

May 13, 2012
Visit site
They can still charge for tethering, they just cant block the apps from appearing in the Play store and cant block apps from using certain frequencies that were being blocked before. Sorry folks, free tethering is probably still not gonna happen
Edit: Also, it is likely that they will only have the free thethering be with the new shared plans. Those without the new shared plans (this means unlimited plans and the regular plans before shared plans) will still likely have to pay a fee.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
They can still charge for tethering, they just cant block the apps from appearing in the Play store and cant block apps from using certain frequencies that were being blocked before. Sorry folks, free tethering is probably still not gonna happen

FoxFi works just as well as Verizons offering so it technically happened already. I wonder how FoxFi got through all of the Verizon blocks though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
FoxFi works just as well as Verizons offering so it technically happened already. I wonder how FoxFi got through all of the Verizon blocks though.

When was FoxFi first released and when did this investigation start?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Also, read the news report from AC.

As I thought, unlimited plans are excluded from this service from the sounds of it. That makes this whole ruling pointless but I guess it doesn't really matter because the same people who have been using FoxFi will continue using it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
When was FoxFi first released and when did this investigation start?

Good question - I have no idea.

A Google Search brings me to the Amazon App Store who says it launched on March 1st, 2012. As for the investigation, who knows.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wonder which price increase Verizon will implement to make up for this loss?

A $10 fee for rebooting your phone and being forced to reconnect to the network. After all, it takes a lot of effort for the network to push out all of that data to your device all at once.

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
This doesn't mean they can't charge u for tethering. Just that they can't block 3rd party tethering apps that let you tether for free. Its BS that anyone charges for tethering. Its my data plan. If I go over because I tether then charge me the overage. But don't charge me just for the ability to be able to tether. That's so BS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Issemann and Ry

sspediacci

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So now that Verizon isn't allowed to block apps on the Google Play store, we can get Google Wallet finally?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
So now that Verizon isn't allowed to block apps on the Google Play store, we can get Google Wallet finally?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

This ruling has nothing to do with Google Wallet. It's specifically about Verizon blocking tethering apps. And even then it only applies to those users that aren't on unlimited data plans. As part of the spectrum they were awarded they agreed not to hinder access to users using that spectrum. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc are still allowed to prevent access to certain apps. Here's a great read that explains it all; What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

Reactions: Eclipse2K