Verizon Can No Longer Charge For Tethering, FCC Declares

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This ruling has nothing to do with Google Wallet. It's specifically about Verizon blocking tethering apps. And even then it only applies to those users that aren't on unlimited data plans. As part of the spectrum they were awarded they agreed not to hinder access to users using that spectrum. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc are still allowed to prevent access to certain apps. Here's a great read that explains it all; What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

And yet people will still continue to use FoxFi to access their phones data connection. I've paid for the hotspot before when I used it a lot. I didn't mind the $23.99 or whatever it was with my corporate discount. However, since I use it maybe once a month to maybe load a single web page on my tablet when away from home, I won't pay for it nor should Verizon expect me to. I'm sure they do expect me to, but it's pointless.

But great read - sure explains a lot. It sure doesn't seem like Verizon sacrificed anything at all since those minimal amount of data you'll be able to tether will bring in more money with all of the overage charges. 2 GB of data on a Tablet or PC is far to easy to go over within hours.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Unlimited data vs Capped data, you signed for it, but the agreement between Verizon and its bandwidth constituents never considered that, nor does the FCC.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Verizon thinks they can charge 20 dollars a month to unlimited users to tether, but I would be hard pressed that they can really get away with that. The Play store does not discriminate...Can Verizon charge you for going over on an unlimited data plan? Think real hard about that and answer that yourself...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon thinks they can charge 20 dollars a month to unlimited users to tether, but I would be hard pressed that they can really get away with that. The Play store does not discriminate...Can Verizon charge you for going over on an unlimited data plan? Think real hard about that and answer that yourself...

I personally agree, but where does everyone come up with this $20 a month to tether price? The Unlimited Mobile Hotspot is $30.00 as an add-on to an unlimited plan. My corporate discount brings it down to $24. I assume those who have tiered data pay $20 and that's where this is coming from?

BTW - Verizon does have the right to charge for tethering on an unlimited plan. While I disagree with it, it's their right from the sounds of it and they can say you violated your unlimited plan and must switch to a tiered. I could be wrong, but they give options even though the options both lack any logical sense for the consumer.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I personally agree, but where does everyone come up with this $20 a month to tether price? The Unlimited Mobile Hotspot is $30.00 as an add-on to an unlimited plan. My corporate discount brings it down to $24. I assume those who have tiered data pay $20 and that's where this is coming from?

BTW - Verizon does have the right to charge for tethering on an unlimited plan. While I disagree with it, it's their right from the sounds of it and they can say you violated your unlimited plan and must switch to a tiered. I could be wrong, but they give options even though the options both lack any logical sense for the consumer.

They did away with unlimited MHS a while ago. You're stuck with tiered or shared data at this point. Verizon made the words unlimited and data mutually exclusive.

On your second point, Verizon can't say how to use mobile data more than comcast can. Comcast originally only wanted one device plugged into their service too remember? The problem came when people started plugging in routers. So Verizon beat you to it by giving you a paid for multi-connect.

Lastly consider this. Data access(bandwidth) is a self renewing resource. You use it and once you're done you add back to the pool. It is far from finite. Companies that treat it like it is are obviously out for the cash-in. Don't let them treat you like you're a fool. Treat them like the dumb pipe they are. Leave, and get service that doesn't charge an arm and leg or place artificial restrictions on artificially renewable resources.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They did away with unlimited MHS a while ago. You're stuck with tiered or shared data at this point. Verizon made the words unlimited and data mutually exclusive.

Unlimited mobile hotspot is still a feature I can add to my line.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

On your second point, Verizon can't say how to use mobile data more than comcast can. Comcast originally only wanted one device plugged into their service too remember? The problem came when people started plugging in routers. So Verizon beat you to it by giving you a paid for multi-connect.

Lastly consider this. Data access(bandwidth) is a self renewing resource. You use it and once you're done you add back to the pool. It is far from finite. Companies that treat it like it is are obviously out for the cash-in. Don't let them treat you like you're a fool. Treat them like the dumb pipe they are. Leave, and get service that doesn't charge an arm and leg or place artificial restrictions on artificially renewable resources.

I agree with everything except the leave Verizon part. I'd be punishing myself by giving up excellent cellular service for a provider that's not worth paying even a penny each month. If my phone doesn't work nearly everywhere whether inside or outside, I don't want it.