Verizon LTE Down... AGAIN!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have 4G here in Denver.

Honestly, I really do not get the big deal with 4G. Files on smartphones are so small you can barely tell the difference anyway. Its nice to be able to use voice and data at the same time, but other than that, I just dont get what the big deal is.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be a little better since they had this last outage. Not a whole lot better but better. They must be trying to upgrade their system.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be a little better since they had this last outage. Not a whole lot better but better. They must be trying to upgrade their system.

Agreed. Since 4G came back up I've been getting a strong 4G signal in my house when I had a weak 4G signal before.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
4g up near Detroit and it seems stronger. Was lucky to get 1-2 bars, now staying around 3 bar

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Since 4G came back up I've been getting a strong 4G signal in my house when I had a weak 4G signal before.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4g up near Detroit and it seems stronger. Was lucky to get 1-2 bars, now staying around 3 bar

Yeah, mine is improved. It went from absolutely nothing to one bar of 4G or 3G, to a constant one bar in my home LOL!

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
i live in a non 4g area, but over the last two weeks i have to say that i really have been losing 3g service a lot which never seemed to happen when since i had my blackberry tour or Droid x....not blaming it on the device but its annoying how i use pandora in my car but when its out im obviously driving to work musicless. Im not someone to complain but i think its about time to give verizon a call and ask for something being that my family plan pays $90 a month for data. Ill support verizon bout good service generally but they need to throw a bone our way for the recent spat of outages.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Li,, NY up and running and agree seemingly stronger signal. However it seems my upload is being throttled at 2mbps.. Whoops just realized I was on wifi too.. I turned wifi off and apparently though I "had" 4g, no signal was coming through. I turned off and back on mobile data and it didn't come back :(

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
really, I'm not sitting around counting bars or really caring if it's 3g, 4g, 5g, 5g 6g. But GEE, the problem is that it's all or nothing with the LTE phones/network now. THey have really screwed up big time on how the phones and the network handle or should I say mishandle being able to handoff from one signal to another. A lot of articles on the web yesterday erroneously reported that only 4g service was affected. not true.. I was defaulting to 3g and lost everything for an hour. Clearly, it's not the GNEX, it's everything.

Also, Verizon is the "communications" business and their communications is horrible. They have yet to tell their millions of users what the deal is or even issue an apology. For god;'s sake, even RIM got out in front when the had their outages. It;'s like sitting on a plane that's delayed. If the pilot tells you what the story is and keeps you updated, you don't get as pissed as you do when you sit there and they tell you nothing. You'd think that a multi billion dollar company would have the P/R sense to know this. Verizon is simply going back to the day's when it was part of ATT and had a monopoly on phone service and could afford a screw the public mentality. I think users need to take advantage of the web to tell Verizon to get it's customer svs act together..."Do YOU hear me now?"

Reactions: Ken7

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

If that's the case, wouldn't you think they'd do these upgrades at 3am as opposed to the middle of a business day? If that's what they did, it's pretty amazing and shows some pretty poor judgement IMO.

Let's not forget they did this with no publicity. At least if they had, people could have been prepared for the outrage.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Had to reboot but finally have 4G. Used to get 0-1 bar on 4G at the office, now its about 1-2 but mostly sticking at 1. If all this was maintenance related then they should have given a press release or something.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
really, I'm not sitting around counting bars or really caring if it's 3g, 4g, 5g, 5g 6g. But GEE, the problem is that it's all or nothing with the LTE phones/network now. THey have really screwed up big time on how the phones and the network handle or should I say mishandle being able to handoff from one signal to another. A lot of articles on the web yesterday erroneously reported that only 4g service was affected. not true.. I was defaulting to 3g and lost everything for an hour. Clearly, it's not the GNEX, it's everything.

Also, Verizon is the "communications" business and their communications is horrible. They have yet to tell their millions of users what the deal is or even issue an apology. For god;'s sake, even RIM got out in front when the had their outages. It;'s like sitting on a plane that's delayed. If the pilot tells you what the story is and keeps you updated, you don't get as pissed as you do when you sit there and they tell you nothing. You'd think that a multi billion dollar company would have the P/R sense to know this. Verizon is simply going back to the day's when it was part of ATT and had a monopoly on phone service and could afford a screw the public mentality. I think users need to take advantage of the web to tell Verizon to get it's customer svs act together..."Do YOU hear me now?"

It WAS only 4g. Verizon's LTE phones use a special version of 3g that is dependent on the 4g network being available. 3g phones were not at all affected yesterday.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont think it was maintance tho.
The corp vzw store I stopped at yesterday around 2pm yesterday seemed caught by surprise as well.
Their store was packed full of ppl at the time there wasnt a parking spot left .I had to park at Burger King

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Domino effect???

A lot of us wonder why the 3g went out as well for those of us on LTE phones. Could it be that all the phones getting dropped off 4g overloaded 3g capacity, thus we couldnt get on?? Kind of like when there's a blackout on area and all the load is shifted to another, causing a domino effect?

rt

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Domino effect???

Without a doubt this is a serious embarasment for reps of VZW. I had to apologize to far too many folks without any ETA, and expressed my personal bewilderment at the outage.

A lot of us wonder why the 3g went out as well for those of us on LTE phones. Could it be that all the phones getting dropped off 4g overloaded 3g capacity, thus we couldnt get on?? Kind of like when there's a blackout on area and all the load is shifted to another, causing a domino effect?

rt

The 4G outage domino effect was that the service switches went down the entire length of the outage. Anyone with CDMA forced before the outage occurred had full service while anyone with CDMA/LTE and 4G lost the ability to switch to the EVDO network.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So why couldn't they boot into regular 3G mode, whatever the GN uses outside 4G areas?

Because ALL 4G phones use a variant of Verizon's normal 3G that allows sim card authentication. Without an active 4G network, you have no ability to authenticate on the network unless Verizon forces all handsets to use EVDO Rev. A. (which they did. If you had 3G yesterday, before service was officially restored, it was EVDO, not EHRPD as it was supposed to be)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Domino effect???

rt

No. Go read up on EHRPD and how it interacts with Verizon's network. In short, when 4G goes out, unless Verizon forces 4G phones onto EVDO, they will not have any service except voice and messaging.