Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo LG G3 User Chiming In

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I, like I'm sure many of you, have been following Turbo news. I have yet to find a phone I would consider flawless, but the Turbo is very impressive. As much as I like it, I can't justify paying full retail for it since I've only had the G3 a little over three months... which leads to my question-
Have any of you ditched a high end 2014 released phone and pay the extra bucks for the Turbo? Also, it's well known the battery is awesome and the screen is high quality. What does the Turbo offer that has been kept under the radar, if anything?

Posted via the Android Central App

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: LG G3 User Chiming In

I, like I'm sure many of you, have been following Turbo news. I have yet to find a phone I would consider flawless, but the Turbo is very impressive. As much as I like it, I can't justify paying full retail for it since I've only had the G3 a little over three months... which leads to my question-
Have any of you ditched a high end 2014 released phone and pay the extra bucks for the Turbo? Also, it's well known the battery is awesome and the screen is high quality. What does the Turbo offer that has been kept under the radar, if anything?

I switch devices all the time - I chalk it up to paying the price to play with the newest stuff. While not totally digging the aesthetics of the device, it's the innards that counts. The long(er) battery life is what I want!

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Are you on the Verizon Edge? You might want to consider it. I did return the Moto X for many reasons but, one because I might want the Droid Turbo, Note 4 or the Nexus 6.

I have a Note 3 right now, that I have had for 10 months. New phones are always going to come out and a phone that is a year old might seem outdated. That is one of the main reasons why I am on the Edge program. If you do the math, you will pay $30 per month for the phone and depending on the data plan, you will get $15 back or $25 back on that line. Therefore, dropping the cost of the phone to $5-$15. Paying full contract for a phone is not idea. If you are paying $15 a month for the phone, It will take you 43 months to recoup that cost.

People will argue the value of the Edge and I get that but more and more carriers are pushing away from the subsidized phones.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

I switch devices all the time - I chalk it up to paying the price to play with the newest stuff. While not totally digging the aesthetics of the device, it's the innards that counts. The long(er) battery life is what I want!

Yeah and to a certain degree, I am considering the risk of paying the $35 restock fee if I do not like it within the 15 days.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I just switched from a galaxy s5. Got rid of the droid maxx because the .microphone kept going out. Got the s5 a few weeks after it launched and having been waiting for the next iteration of the maxx ever since.

anthony81586

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

How responsive this thing is. It simply cannot be overstated. I have yet to see any sort of hiccup or stutter, its unreal

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

I just traded my Note 4 in for the turbo. The features were great but I couldn't deal with the stutters. Typical touchwiz. It was a great phone. But the Stock fluidness of the turbo is really untouchable.

I got the ballistic nylon 64 GB, and I love the quality of the build. I will say that I wish the power button and volume rocker were a bit more clicky/firm. Battery life has been incredible, I don't know what Gizmodo is talking about

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I just traded my Note 4 in for the turbo. The features were great but I could deal with the stutters. Typical touchwiz. It was a great phone. But the Stock fluidness of the turbo is really untouchable.

I got the ballistic nylon 64 GB, and I love the quality of the build. I will say that I wish the power button and volume rocker were a bit more clicky/firm. Battery life has been incredible, I don't know what Gizmodo is talking about

I don't think I'll be able to kill my battery by the time I go to bed... I'm still at 74% lol.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Are you on the Verizon Edge? You might want to consider it. I did return the Moto X for many reasons but, one because I might want the Droid Turbo, Note 4 or the Nexus 6.

I have a Note 3 right now, that I have had for 10 months. New phones are always going to come out and a phone that is a year old might seem outdated. That is one of the main reasons why I am on the Edge program. If you do the math, you will pay $30 per month for the phone and depending on the data plan, you will get $15 back or $25 back on that line. Therefore, dropping the cost of the phone to $5-$15. Paying full contract for a phone is not idea. If you are paying $15 a month for the phone, It will take you 43 months to recoup that cost.

People will argue the value of the Edge and I get that but more and more carriers are pushing away from the subsidized phones.

No, I'm not on the Edge program. I personally hate outstanding debts so I've never purchased anything on a payment plan (besides my car and house). I theoretically could purchase a Turbo outright but I think bailing on the G3 after 3.5 months is premature. What is going to be on the shelves in 12 months?

I'll probably visit a Verizon store and tease myself by playing with a Turbo. I was just curious if anyone gave up a phone made in 2014 for the Turbo. Also, I want to see the Nexus 6 in action. I'm a big screen fan, but I'm pretty darn sure 2015 will present a phone with better specs than the Turbo. At that point, I'll have owned the G3 for about a year. Then I could possibly justify a new purchase.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

No, I'm not on the Edge program. I personally hate outstanding debts so I've never purchased anything on a payment plan (besides my car and house). I theoretically could purchase a Turbo outright but I think bailing on the G3 after 3.5 months is premature. What is going to be on the shelves in 12 months?

I'll probably visit a Verizon store and tease myself by playing with a Turbo. I was just curious if anyone gave up a phone made in 2014 for the Turbo. Also, I want to see the Nexus 6 in action. I'm a big screen fan, but I'm pretty darn sure 2015 will present a phone with better specs than the Turbo. At that point, I'll have owned the G3 for about a year. Then I could possibly justify a new purchase.

That's when you sell the device for about half what you paid for it and buy the next one. It's a never ending cycle. :D

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I returned the 2014 Moto X for the Turbo. It is basically a more industrial looking Moto X with 3GB ram and much faster processor. You know all the other advantages it has over the X (battery, QHD, Qi charging, free screen replacement, 20MP cam...) Plus with the trade in offer it costs me about the same price for the 64GB Turbo as the 32GB Moto X.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

True. How much can you get from selling your G3? It might offset some of the cost of the Turbo. You are correct about a phone in 2015. We will be looking back at the Turbo as an outdated device. Also, isn't there going to be a new G version soon?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

The thing that sucks about buying smartphones is that they change/update so damn fast you always feel outdated if you are tech junkie. I've made my purchase recently and very happy about it. And remember, no phone is perfect for everyone. The G3 is a good phone in it's own right. The Turbo is getting a lot of attention since it's pretty much a beefed up Moto X, which for a lot people, that's what they were looking for. If you're happy with your G3, you can always wait till Spring to see what the G4 will bring to the table.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
True. How much can you get from selling your G3? It might offset some of the cost of the Turbo. You are correct about a phone in 2015. We will be looking back at the Turbo as an outdated device. Also, isn't there going to be a new G version soon?

If I go to eBay, Newegg, and Amazon, I could probably sell my G3 for $450. Maybe I'd have to lower it to $400 because the bezel on the left of the screen has a very small, but noticeable ding.

I've always been a fan of Motorola because I've witnessed first hand their superior radio service. Two of my coworkers use Motorola on Verizon and can send and receive calls in the office. My Samsung Galaxy S4 couldn't even hold a signal (my G3 holds a signal). I Iiked Samsung's software but lost my patience with its inferior call quality. Plus Motorola didn't have the processing power of the quad core competitors. Now that Motorola has both significant GPu power to go along with its call quality, temptation is beginning to overwhelm my willpower.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Without reading any of the other responses in this thread yet (going to immediately after this reply), my personal answer is that I would never consider jumping to another phone until out of contract. I take advantage of the subsidized price, and no way will I pay full price (am not a fan of the edge program either). Now, if I were an unlimited customer, I'd pay full price for a phone, but I still would limit myself to two year intervals. No way would I part with a 2014 phone to get the Turbo. It's a great phone, but does not merit jumping from your G3 after 3 months. Be happy with the good phone you have my friend; we all know there's a another and better phone just waiting to create that feeling of buyer's remorse becuase you got the one before it -- I wouldn't feel that way if I had gotten the G3 -- it's a good phone.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

If I go to eBay, Newegg, and Amazon, I could probably sell my G3 for $450. Maybe I'd have to lower it to $400 because the bezel on the left of the screen has a very small, but noticeable ding.

I've always been a fan of Motorola because I've witnessed first hand their superior radio service. Two of my coworkers use Motorola on Verizon and can send and receive calls in the office. My Samsung Galaxy S4 couldn't even hold a signal (my G3 holds a signal). I Iiked Samsung's software but lost my patience with its inferior call quality. Plus Motorola didn't have the processing power of the quad core competitors. Now that Motorola has both significant GPu power to go along with its call quality, temptation is beginning to overwhelm my willpower.

I am amazed by the number of phones that have come out since June which was just 4 months ago. I am also amazed by how some of those phones, seem outdated. Makes me wonder what 2015 will bring or if all the devices are going to start to converge to the point where its just the brand that differentiates as well as some of the software. Interesting times, eh?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't think I'll be able to kill my battery by the time I go to bed... I'm still at 74% lol.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Same! I was worried yesterday that the battery was a big step down from the Maxx. But that must have just been the setup and sync day (literally spent all of yesterday restoring old pictures, songs, videos, etc.). Today, the battery just won't go down fast at all. Absolutely incredible battery life.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

I agree with Dungoyle - especially since you have a G3. I have a Turbo that will be delivered today but the G3 would be my second choice. I owned a G3 for a week and the pics were phenomenal. I don't know if anything else touches it photo-wise, all reports seem to indicate that the Turbo certainly won't compete with the G3 here - despite that 21MP camera. My experience with battery life on the G3 was pretty good, and it has a replaceable battery which negates that advantage of the Turbo over the G3 to a significant extent. The G3 is also (to me) a better looking phone with its on screen buttons and super small bezels.

My only issue with the G3 was the sheer size (and I don't think the Turbo is any smaller so I'm a little worried!). I thought the combination of the size and metallic back on the G3 resulted in a slippery phone compared to my smaller, rubber-backed Moto X (1st gen). My Turbo will have the ballistic nylon back which I had hoped would provide some grip BUT some are saying that it is 'slippery as oil'(!). After owning a Moto X, I don't think I would be happy without the Active Notifications (or whatever they call it). It's a HUGE advantage for Moto products.

I don't think I'd be considering a Turbo if I still owned a G3. I just hope this fits in my baby-sized hands!

Naylor07

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I don't think it is fair to say, "Think what will be out in 2015." If you use that logic, you will always be waiting. Yes, 2015 will have higher spec'd phones, but 2016 will have higher spec'd phones than 2016. I switch devices a lot, but I usually wait for the device to be out a few months, pick up one used, but in mint shape for a discounted price, sell old phone, repeat. If you wait till next year to upgrade, your G3 will be worth probably 200 instead of 400. So it is always a game.

Also, consider swappa for selling phones, much lower fees than eBay and the buyers actually know what they are buying, etc. The staff at Swappa is great as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolwilliamson