Verizon 'significantly altering' unlimited data?

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That message has been there forever. There is always a risk using the UDP upgrade,but following the various loophole methods posted are the best methods of using the subsidized upgrade. Of course, the safest method would be to not use the subsidized upgrade from udp line
So, VZW themselves are offering me a subsidy (apparently because I'm on the $50 no contact UDP)...$200 Moto Z, $299 Z Force. Yes, it definitely keeps UDP and puts me back on a 2-year contract.

BB is basically offering the same thing, but with a $200 promo discount (so $1 / $99) and free JBL speaker mod.

The UDP line is my only line.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yep I did, but in a way , it's a blessing in disguise. For so long, every month , I've been paying Verizon over $200 a month and just a few years ago, my bill was over $300 (that's when I had 5 lines lol). I have a good friend who has T Mobile unlimited and I will get a line on his account with includes 14 Gigs of hotspot use. And the best part is that I'll only pay $54 a month for unlimited 4G LTE data and 14 GB of hotspot , unlim talk and text too...so while I was sad leaving Verizon when I got that dreaded letter, I realize just how much $ I can free up in my budget. I did a few speedtests around the city and T Mobile has gotten 1000% better than what they were this time last year, so all in all I'm happy.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep I did, but in a way , it's a blessing in disguise. For so long, every month , I've been paying Verizon over $200 a month and just a few years ago, my bill was over $300 (that's when I had 5 lines lol). I have a good friend who has T Mobile unlimited and I will get a line on his account with includes 14 Gigs of hotspot use. And the best part is that I'll only pay $54 a month for unlimited 4G LTE data and 14 GB of hotspot , unlim talk and text too...so while I was sad leaving Verizon when I got that dreaded letter, I realize just how much $ I can free up in my budget. I did a few speedtests around the city and T Mobile has gotten 1000% better than what they were this time last year, so all in all I'm happy.
And don't forget to download the T-Mobile Tuesdays app. Free stuff every tuesdays

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yep .....he gets free pizza all the time from them....and Verizon gives you what....

Actually, free pizza is over. It was supposed to run for a month, but after two weeks it got replaced with "gifts" like 50% off on some accessories that are overpriced to begin with.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
On the way home from picking the kids up at School my kids and I claim our free Frosty's from Wendy's. For people on tiered data plans? they can redeem free data for one year while playing Pokemon go. I also Redeemed my one single share of T-Mobile stock which is worth $48 now LOL

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
And for me, in my case, that's not an incentive ....but more like a restriction. I checked out cricket too and didn't realize that they have unlimited data as well, but no hotspot usage with that plan.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Why was your bill so expensive? Mine is ~$70 including taxes and fees, though I only get 30 minutes and no texting.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My plan was an old Alltel plan and when Verizon bought out certain portions of Alltel years ago, my voice & text plan changed which caused a hike in my bill. Then over the years, I added the unlimited mobile hotspot feature, along with road side assistance, 411 feature, Verizon home base, etc....that stuff adds up lol

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I still have my alltel plan... Curious how they will bump the price since i don't have a separate data package.
Time will tell
Danny

Posted via the Android Central App

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think with me , I was approached by a Verizon rep who told me I could keep my Alltel plan but that I could add some extras to make it better....well more like, make it cost more lol

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That message has been there forever. There is always a risk using the UDP upgrade,but following the various loophole methods posted are the best methods of using the subsidized upgrade. Of course, the safest method would be to not use the subsidized upgrade from udp line

But it doesn't appear to be a loophole. VZW offers the same nominal price with the same 2-year contract. BB is sweetening the deal with a $200 discount & free mod.

(BTW...I bought your G4)

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
But it doesn't appear to be a loophole. VZW offers the same nominal price with the same 2-year contract. BB is sweetening the deal with a $200 discount & free mod.

(BTW...I bought your G4)

Alternately...$199 Z, direct from VZW w/2-year & keep UDP. No speakers, but $300 trade-in on G4.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

(BTW...I bought your G4)
The issue is the UDP upgrade which if processed normally, would cause you to lose UDP assuming the $30 rate.

Zronva

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
So, VZW themselves are offering me a subsidy (apparently because I'm on the $50 no contact UDP)...$200 Moto Z, $299 Z Force. Yes, it definitely keeps UDP and puts me back on a 2-year contract.

BB is basically offering the same thing, but with a $200 promo discount (so $1 / $99) and free JBL speaker mod.

The UDP line is my only line.

Yes this is the exact reason I want to go with best buy over verizon for the z force. Did you buy from best buy or are you in limbo like me; waiting for someone to report successful activation and keeping 49.99 udp?

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes this is the exact reason I want to go with best buy over verizon for the z force. Did you buy from best buy or are you in limbo like me; waiting for someone to report successful activation and keeping 49.99 udp?

Success!

I ordered online from BB and immediately My Verizon showed that I was now under contract and still had my UDP, but did not show the new phone...makes sense, as I had yet to activate it.

Late yesterday I picked up the phone & followed the BB activation instructions (call a VZW 800 number)...but they said they could NOT activate the subsidized phone without sacrificing UDP. I said no way.

Went to a corporate store today, said I was having trouble activating, they came back in 5 with an active phone and documentation of the plan changes...nothing, save the 2-year contract. My Verizon now shows both the Z and the UDP.