Verizon Undercuts AT&T with $70 Unlimited Text and Data Plan

bberrynewbie84

Galaxy nexus!
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
verizon-640.jpg

Verizon plan

Verizon Wireless is testing a new cellular plan that offers unlimited text and data to a limited group of customers for $70. Is it just a one-time promotion by the nation?s largest wireless carrier, or is it the beginning of a new pricing plan that undercuts its main competition?

The new plan offers 450 monthly minutes and unlimited Verizon mobile-to-mobile, texting and data. It?s not available on Verizon?s website, though; you have to call the number specified in the promotional e-mail to get the plan.

The deal only applies to those who received the e-mail; if you call the number and didn?t get the promotion, Verizon?s computers will know. Buying the same plan on Verizon?s website will cost you $90 ($40 for the minutes + $20 for text + $30 for data).

The carrier is also offering a discounted Family SharePlan for $140, which includes 1,400 minutes and unlimited data, text and Verizon mobile-to-mobile; it costs $20 per month to add an additional line.

As Boy Genius Report points out, the plan looks very similar to Sprint?s ?Everything Data? plan, which also offers 450 minutes and unlimited messaging, data and mobile-to-mobile minutes. You can get only get the same price on AT&T if you?re using a ?basic? phone; you can?t get the same deal with a feature phone or a smartphone.

Could this be the precursor to a new price war? AT&T and Verizon engaged in a price war, earlier this year, but the stakes are about to skyrocket with the impending release of the Verizon iPhone. Having a cheaper plan could be the catalyst Verizon needs to get thousands of AT&T iPhone customers to switch. Don?t think for a second that AT&T wouldn?t fire back, though.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this means Sprint will answer with a price drop to undercut Verizon and stay at a lower price point - that would be awesome :D

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully this means Sprint will answer with a price drop to undercut Verizon and stay at a lower price point - that would be awesome :D

While they might do this.. I'd rather they keep the same price point and turn a profit. Them continuing to lose money is helping no one in the long run :(

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
You can get the number to call from the ad when you click read more. I live in illinois, called and switched over to the family plan, plus adding a third line for daughter with data, bill before was about $220, now will be 190, and all lines will have data (3rd line did not have data). Its a great deal.

rutkind

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
You can get the number to call from the ad when you click read more. I live in illinois, called and switched over to the family plan, plus adding a third line for daughter with data, bill before was about $220, now will be 190, and all lines will have data (3rd line did not have data). Its a great deal.

Thanks for the advice!

E_Brown

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to call in a little while, and I'll report back. The way it looks is that I should be able to save roughly $20/mo with this plan. Lets hope they let me switch over to this plan.

EpicInUtah

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
So on the family plan of $139.99 does that include the two lines or is that for the first line and then another $20 for the 2nd line? Anyone know?

E_Brown

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So on the family plan of $139.99 does that include the two lines or is that for the first line and then another $20 for the 2nd line? Anyone know?

The $139.99 does include 2 lines, which I find to be a very good deal.

**Update**

I just called Verizon, and they asked me if I got the email from them, or from a friend, so I said them, Which wasn't true. They searched my account, and said that they don't have any record of sending the email, and can not give me the promotion. I wonder what they would have said if I told them I got it from a friend. Well It was worth a shot. It kind of bothers me that they will only let some customers have that plan, and not others. The way that looks to me, is that they care more about some customers then others. Either way I won't leave Verizon, because they have done right by me so many other times.

EpicInUtah

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The $139.99 does include 2 lines, which I find to be a very good deal.

**Update**

I just called Verizon, and they asked me if I got the email from them, or from a friend, so I said them, Which wasn't true. They searched my account, and said that they don't have any record of sending the email, and can not give me the promotion. I wonder what they would have said if I told them I got it from a friend. Well It was worth a shot. It kind of bothers me that they will only let some customers have that plan, and not others. The way that looks to me, is that they care more about some customers then others. Either way I won't leave Verizon, because they have done right by me so many other times.

Wow, that is a good deal for sure. Maybe I'll try calling them later and saying I got it from a friend and see what they say to that haha. Not sure how good a deal though, cause I'd probably have to pay retail for a phone for my wife as she just upgraded her phone and only wanted a Feature phone as she didn't think the data was worth it for how much she would use it...

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
A) the first article I saw about this said that it was a limited thing.

B) they are testing to see if it is viable for them.

C) they knew it would leak immediately.

D) I bet if you say you got it from a friend, they would ask for the friend's number to make sure that THEY got the email.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
called today and and asked about it even though I didn't receive the email and was told no problem. I was paying $220 for 1400 min, 2 phones with data and 2 without. Now Ill be paying around $195 with data on all four phones. I guess I cant tell the kids I'm not paying $60 bucks for data so they can use our old Storm 2 phones anymore.

BKVic

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I called on friday, was upfront about not having recieved the offer by Email & the rep [who otherwise was a perfect CSR] wasn't able to find the plan.

CR4V3

Neighborhood IT Pro
Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I called last friday, they said they are currently testing the plan and they can't give it to you unless you get the email. Kinda sucks, wish they'd just let you have it. You're obviously interested if you're calling about it.

KJoFan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Funny how different people are having different results. I called about it on Monday and the CSR had no hesitation at all. I didn't get the email or flyer or anything, they didn't even ask how I'd heard about it. They just switched me over, easy as could be.

db306#AC

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Very strange. I just called and they told me that there is no promotion going on. I told them it was regarding the$70 promotion and I was told it was " a media hoax " and the only discounted plan like that is for upstate NY????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Very strange. I just called and they told me that there is no promotion going on. I told them it was regarding the$70 promotion and I was told it was " a media hoax " and the only discounted plan like that is for upstate NY????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Did you call customer service or did you call the number listed in the ad?

More than likely Customer service was told to deny anything about this plan, if they heard anything about it at all.

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Worked for me. I called and got in on the new family plan. I was paying $210ish (including discount) for 2 smartphones and 1 non-sp. With the new plan and my discount, my new monthly bill is $155 before tax, and all three lines are smartphones. Also, as long as I am a member of Verizon, I can stay on this plan. Woohoo.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try to I have 2 lines an unlimited text for 180. A month maybe that will lower it some.

I don't know anyone around here who has got that email tho, since I don't have a computer working tho I can't see a number to call on that ad, might have to wait til I can or stop by their store later today and see what they say :cool:

Sent Using TaPaTaLk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz