Verizon Wireless Nougat Now Available

JeffACastro

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Yep, that is exactly what I had to do. Full factory reset was the only way to get back wifi. Astounding first that one has to restore their phone to get basic functionality to work, but second, that this issue has been ongoing through other major OS upgrades.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Does message+ work in AOD now? I tested it and didn't seem to work
It does not matter what app you are using if it provides notifications they should show up on the AOD. Are you getting other notifications on your AOD? Make sure in settings > lock screen and security > other security settings > notifications access you have Always on Display toggled on.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Were you aware that secure folder was baked in to Verizon's Nougat build? There is an update for it in the Galaxy Apps store today just in case you do not have auto updates turned on in Galaxy Apps.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that makes sense and I totally agree with you, you should not have to. Unfortunately in the Android world sometimes that is the only option left. It can be a very time consuming process depending on your setup. Also, if everything is not backed up properly you could lose some valuable things. It just kind of sucks if I make that recommendation and I get totally bashed like it is my fault. Maybe I am just too sensitive☺

Problem with the way Apple does it - if there are bugs and junk when you back it up, all that same stuff comes right back after a restore. The purpose (at least in my eyes) to factory reset is to clear all old junk and start with a fresh installation.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I just happened to check as I was lying in bed this morning around 2am and was amazed to see that the update was there. I certainly couldn't let that wait until I got up! So far so good. We'll see how it is with battery life during my normal 10h shift today. All previous phones including N7 would be around 60% by the end. My S7e is usually around 40% or less. Most pathetic battery life ever! I can't wait to get rid of this phone. Unless I'm now miraculously better.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I checked about an hour ago, and sure enough it's available. I know I will eventually download and install it, but I'm in no hurry. One question: are you folks recommending a factory reset after the install as a matter of course? One of the things I like least about getting a new phone is having to set all that up again, but if it helps the new OS run better, then so be it. TIA.

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I checked about an hour ago, and sure enough it's available. I know I will eventually download and install it, but I'm in no hurry. One question: are you folks recommending a factory reset after the install as a matter of course? One of the things I like least about getting a new phone is having to set all that up again, but if it helps the new OS run better, then so be it. TIA.

I'd suggest it, just in case there's any hiccups. I've seen a few people having problems with wifi after the update. I did a factory reset after the update and have had no issues. Runs smoothly.

lady of the lake

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You should wait until you get back before you update. There is nothing the update will give you that you need on your trip. It is better if you have a phone that you know is working and are familiar with. It is a big update, you can spend some time with it when you get back. You can go back to marshmallow but it not as easy as just hitting a downgrade button.

Well I inadvertently hit download in the Notification section. Thankfully everything is fine. A bit of adjustment to the fonts and updates to some of the Samsung apps and so far so good.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

I totally agree with drusum and would also recommend a factory reset. It just ensures you will get the best performance and battery life out of your device. You also will not have to deal with any of the issues people are having from not doing a factory reset. As long as all the apps you are running are updated for Nougat your device will run buttery smooth.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I inadvertently hit download in the Notification section. Thankfully everything is fine. A bit of adjustment to the fonts and updates to some of the Samsung apps and so far so good.

Oops! I am just glad you have not run into any issues and don't mind the small re-learning curve and adjustments. You don't need those kind of problems while your travelling. Enjoy!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
People get mad about it because then they have to set up everything again. Which you should not have to do. You don't have to do this on Apple devices.

I'm debating not updating. Runs fine the way it is.

Thanks, that makes sense and I totally agree with you, you should not have to. Unfortunately in the Android world sometimes that is the only option left. It can be a very time consuming process depending on your setup. Also, if everything is not backed up properly you could lose some valuable things. It just kind of sucks if I make that recommendation and I get totally bashed like it is my fault. Maybe I am just too sensitive☺

It would be nice if Google did the same thing they do for Pixel phones on all other Android phones (make Samsung and them leave it alone)... Because on Pixel phones it is like Apple. You can factory reset and tell it to restore and it puts your screens back (except widgets) all where they were and downloads them back.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There was a review done, back when the beta was out, that listed adding shortcuts to third-party app functions as toggles in the Quick Panel. There are a couple toggles there (far bottom in Edit mode), but i can't see any way of adding custom ones. Anyone figured this out?

jmunchies1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone succeeded in getting Samsung cloud to work in nougat on the Verizon model?

For those of you factory resetting, how are you backing up before doing so?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anantshukla