Very disappointed with the Nexus 6P

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I initially bought the device, because I wanted to go back at using Nexus devices. Had a Note 4 and a Galaxy S6 decided to sell the S6 and get the Nexus 6P being that all the reviews are amazing on it and that I am fed up of touchwiz.

I created a thread regarding my microphone issue where callers would say they could not hear me well when I place my phone on my shoulder when both hands are busy. I went to best buy returned the device, which was very hard here in Canada and they gave me a replacement. Initially I thought the microphone issue was fixed so I was happy, long and be hold the issue started showing up again today and my replacement device has a pink hue on the whole top of the screen. I am getting extremely impatient being that I love the device, but the fact that its a phone first for me is making it very difficult to keep.

Best buy offered either to trade for a Note 5 or to exchange it for another 6P. What I want to know is that how can a big company screw up phone calling so bad and have such poor quality control.

Last edited:

anon(30235)

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 6P doesn't have any of the issues that I have read about on the forums. When you mass produce anything, there will be a few defective products. If I were in your shoes, I would try another 6P. This phone is so much better than my Samsung Galaxy S6.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 6P doesn't have any of the issues that I have read about on the forums. When you mass produce anything, there will be a few defective products. If I were in your shoes, I would try another 6P. This phone is so much better than my Samsung Galaxy S6.

Believe me the last thing I want to do is to go to back Galaxy devices. Hopefully if I exchange it tomorrow the new one will not have these issues. But both of my 6P have had the voice calling issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine and many others are flawless. Go for number 3, each one you get, the odds go up you get a good one.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, how was your cell signal when making the calls? I just received my 6P and even though I was at home, it connected to a poor cell signal when I made a call. The other person had a hard time hearing me too, and I was busy, like you, sometimes holding the phone on my shoulder. I told them I could call them back and went into the room where our router is and redialed the call and it went through on WiFi and our conversation was much better. They were louder on my end, and my connection to them was better.

I have terrible cell service at my house, which is why I wanted a phone with WiFi calling and I'm trying out Project Fi. We have three carriers represented in our household and none of us get a decent signal here. Too many pine trees all around us.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The reason why no one could hear you when you place the phone on your shoulder is because you're blocking the noise cancelling microphone on the back of the phone. I suspect the third one will do the same thing.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, how was your cell signal when making the calls? I just received my 6P and even though I was at home, it connected to a poor cell signal when I made a call. The other person had a hard time hearing me too, and I was busy, like you, sometimes holding the phone on my shoulder. I told them I could call them back and went into the room where our router is and redialed the call and it went through on WiFi and our conversation was much better. They were louder on my end, and my connection to them was better.

I have terrible cell service at my house, which is why I wanted a phone with WiFi calling and I'm trying out Project Fi. We have three carriers represented in our household and none of us get a decent signal here. Too many pine trees all around us.

My reception if I base myself on the amount of bars is better than my S6.

It's really if I put the phone on my shoulder. There is actually a massive thread about this on Nexus forums regarding this same issue.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/g70qCHkqLA4/unsubscribe

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The reason why no one could hear you when you place the phone on your shoulder is because you're blocking the noise cancelling microphone on the back of the phone. I suspect the third one will do the same thing.

The problem is I always used my phones like that and not one gave me this issue.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not an uncommon problem for people who like to talk with their phones on their shoulders. The first time I've heard of this problem was with the Nexus One.

It's not a microphone problem, it's working precisely the way it's supposed to work.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not an uncommon problem for people who like to talk with their phones on their shoulders. The first time I've heard of this problem was with the Nexus One.

It's not a microphone problem, it's working precisely the way it's supposed to work.

With all due respect how is it working how it should. My S6 never had that issue nor did my Note 4 or any other device before then

If that many people are complaining about it then it must not be working the way it should

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The problem is I always used my phones like that and not one gave me this issue.

One way you can test the theory is to use a finger to cover the hole on the bottom lip of the "visor" on the back of the phone. If the same problem happens, that's your problem.

I think the noise-cancelling microphone is in a different spot on this phone compared to others, my 2013 Moto X had it near the bottom of the phone on the back.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect how is it working how it should. My S6 never had that issue nor did my Note 4 or any other device before then

If that many people are complaining about it then it must not be working the way it should

because it has a noise cancelling microphone that you're blocking when you hold it like that ... any 6p you get will do the same thing unfortunately ... the pink hue is a problem that a replacement should fix, as any AMOLED device will certainly produce its share of bad displays

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
because it has a noise cancelling microphone that you're blocking when you hold it like that ... any 6p you get will do the same thing unfortunately ... the pink hue is a problem that a replacement should fix, as any AMOLED device will certainly produce its share of bad displays

Exactly this. The noise canceling microphone is that little hole right below the visor. If you cover that up, it'll definitely screw up your calls. Any 6P will show that issue. Not every other phone on the market has that mic right there. That's why you haven't had issues with other phones. Also agree, the pink hue is an issue and should be fixed with a replacement.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly this. The noise canceling microphone is that little hole right below the visor. If you cover that up, it'll definitely screw up your calls. Any 6P will show that issue. Not every other phone on the market has that mic right there. That's why you haven't had issues with other phones. Also agree, the pink hue is an issue and should be fixed with a replacement.

This really Sucks for me if their is no solution regarding noise cancelation

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, stigma be damned, if I'm going to be on the phone for any extended period of time or want to use both hands while I'm on the phone I use a bluetooth headset. That avoids the problem of blocking the noise-cancelling microphone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novatian