Very disappointed with the Nexus 6P

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I can't even imagine using my phone in such an ergonomically incorrect position for any length of time, especially while entering data while listening. I'd really think a Bluetooth headset would be much more preferable to multiple trips to the chiropractor now or in the future, not to mention just the overall comfort factor. YMMV.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. I honestly think the call quality on the Moto X Pure Edition is lower quality than the previous two generations. But it is what it is.

In your situation, I think what Regilian is saying is that the positioning of the noise cancelling microphones may be such that the way you cradle it with your shoulder blocks one (where did not on other devices) and may be the cause of your issues. So according to Steve Jobs, "you're holding it wrong." LOL

Lol good one at the end

Posted via the Android Central App

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you're not enjoy your phone. Unfortunately no phone, as much as we'd like it to, is perfect. If you're not happy, by all means get a phone you enjoy. That is the wonderful thing about Android, you can find many phones running this great OS that has the features you're looking for most. If you'd like, I'll even help you find a phone that meets your needs that is sold in Canada. Just shoot me a pm :)

Thanks alot buddy I appreciate it I just swapped it for a new ones took alot of energy. I am no longer allowed to swap even if I encounter issues with it. Till now screen issue is fixed, by tomorrow I will know of I have the mic issue still

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
do you work for Google?! lol .... I think dude can find a phone on his own....

It might be that they work for best buy, or a phone carrier and is familiar with the phones that are specifically tailored to the Canadian bands, or particular models that are out there, there are certainly a lot of them for sure these days.

I find it to be a very nice gesture on their part, and represents the spirit of not only these forums, members (some), but also the time of year. Let's all be jolly and help each other out while we can.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Till now screen issue is fixed, by tomorrow I will know of I have the mic issue still

If you continue to use it on your shoulder (a position I've used on a land based phone, but never my smart phone) you'll interfere with the noise cancelling microphone. Your new phone is still going to have it in the same place, so why would you expect different results?

Hopefully the diagnosis was wrong though and you'll get what you want.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
If you continue to use it on your shoulder (a position I've used on a land based phone, but never my smart phone) you'll interfere with the noise cancelling microphone. Your new phone is still going to have it in the same place, so why would you expect different results?

Hopefully the diagnosis was wrong though and you'll get what you want.

Well I have no other choice here in Canada I cannot swap to any other device if by any chance I have same issues will have to sell it privately and buy another device.

Hopefully it does not get to that

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It might be that they work for best buy, or a phone carrier and is familiar with the phones that are specifically tailored to the Canadian bands, or particular models that are out there, there are certainly a lot of them for sure these days.

I find it to be a very nice gesture on their part, and represents the spirit of not only these forums, members (some), but also the time of year. Let's all be jolly and help each other out while we can.

totally agree and my intent certainly wasn't meant to come across as condescending (hence the explanation mark)!!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I have no other choice here in Canada I cannot swap to any other device if by any chance I have same issues will have to sell it privately and buy another device.

Hopefully it does not get to that

that's amazing that the return policy is like that. best of luck.

how often do you use it on your shoulder? seems crazy to return a phone just for that reason, especially when there's a quick fix (Bluetooth).

Is that just the tipping point though, and there are other things you dislike?

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
that's amazing that the return policy is like that. best of luck.

how often do you use it on your shoulder? seems crazy to return a phone just for that reason, especially when there's a quick fix (Bluetooth).

Is that just the tipping point though, and there are other things you dislike?

Absolutely love the phone last thing I want is to change it. A good 5 to 6 calls a day I could say.

Now that the screen issue is fixed it's much better atleast

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely love the phone last thing I was is to change it. A good 5 to 6 calls a day I could say.

Now that the screen issue is fixed it's much better atleast

Keep us all updated. I'm curious to see how it works out for you!

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely love the phone last thing I want is to change it.

Just curious, cuz I don't think you've said, do you have your 6P in a case or have you tried it in a case?

I'm wondering if one of those dual-layer shock-absorbing cases (like a Supcase) would add enough distance between the phone's blowhole and your shoulder to keep you from smothering the noise-cancelling mic when you're one-shouldering it?

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
The noise cancellation mic being covered or not should have no effect on the clarity of the primary mic. What SHOULD happen if the NC mic is covered, is that you just lose your noise cancellation feature. I just tested it on an iPhone 5C and an HTC M8 (both ways), and there was no difference in clarity with the NC mic covered or uncovered. Either your particular phone is defective, or they designed it wrong.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, cuz I don't think you've said, do you have your 6P in a case or have you tried it in a case?

I'm wondering if one of those dual-layer shock-absorbing cases (like a Supcase) would add enough distance between the phone's blowhole and your shoulder to keep you from smothering the noise-cancelling mic when you're one-shouldering it?

Yeah I tried without the case and had same issue. I remember I had a device where the case was causing the same issue. So I made sure to try it without a case before writing a thread.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The noise cancellation mic being covered or not should have no effect on the clarity of the primary mic. What SHOULD happen if the NC mic is covered, is that you just lose your noise cancellation feature. I just tested it on an iPhone 5C and an HTC M8 (both ways), and there was no difference in clarity with the NC mic covered or uncovered. Either your particular phone is defective, or they designed it wrong.

I agree 100%

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with call quality, and I think I discovered the "problem" with the microphone. And it's not the microphone at all...

Unfortunately, the 6P is so damn big, that when you hold it on your shoulder, or if you keep the speaker firmly against your ear when hand-holding it, the phone is angled in such a way that the microphone is simply too far from the user's mouth. I've learned I have to hold the phone at a janky angle, where it's not exactly next to my ear, and not exactly against my mouth. It's almost like the phone is pressed against my cheek so the mic and speaker are equidistant from my head.

To be honest, it's a real pain in the azz. This is one of the exact reasons we've all been telling Google that these phones are just getting too damn big. I guess they just don't f*cking learn or care to listen

I'm now thinking about returning my 6P and going down to the 5x. The call issues due to the microphone/phone-size are just becoming too much for me to bear, and it's driving me totally insane.

Example of 6P phone call:

"Hello - hello? I can barely hear you! Are you there? Why are you underwater?"

***adjusts 6P***

"Oh - ok - I can hear you now. Weird."

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with call quality, and I think I discovered the "problem" with the microphone. And it's not the microphone at all...

Unfortunately, the 6P is so damn big, that when you hold it on your shoulder, or if you keep the speaker firmly against your ear when hand-holding it, the phone is angled in such a way that the microphone is simply too far from the user's mouth. I've learned I have to hold the phone at a janky angle, where it's not exactly next to my ear, and not exactly against my mouth. It's almost like the phone is pressed against my cheek so the mic and speaker are equidistant from my head.

To be honest, it's a real pain in the azz. This is one of the exact reasons we've all been telling Google that these phones are just getting too damn big. I guess they just don't f*cking learn or care to listen

I'm now thinking about returning my 6P and going down to the 5x. The call issues due to the microphone/phone-size are just becoming too much for me to bear, and it's driving me totally insane.

Example of 6P phone call:

"Hello - hello? I can barely hear you! Are you there? Why are you underwater?"

***adjusts 6P***

"Oh - ok - I can hear you now. Weird."

It's not just the 6P, I talk to others who are on other phones, like a Galaxy S5 and some iPhone users, that have the same issue. They sound muffled and then when they adjust their phones, it comes in clear.

It isn't an issue with the phone being too big, it's the issue that when the manufacturers make the phones bigger they are not compensating the Mic placement for a larger phone like moving the mics or even adding an additional one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell